Author Topic: Newbie Gear Question ??  (Read 3477 times)

Siringo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Apr '06
  • I Really Have No Idea...
    • View Profile
Newbie Gear Question ??
« on: May 27, 2006, 06:17:58 PM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if you change the gearing in your diff, let's say from 4.10 to 4.88, do you have to change both diffs at the same time or am I missing something????

Thanks.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Gear Question ??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 06:33:13 PM »
You don't have to. Just don't put it in 4wd til you do both. I didn't have enough scrilla when switching over so I did the rear first and followed up with the front a few weeks later.   :qtip:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:21:27 PM »
if you are say stuck in some mud  you can use the front to get out  but dont go more than a few feet befor shifting back to 2wd   or it will try to bend in the middle  and OH THE HUMANITY  parts  will not be happy
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:00:15 PM »
Yep, that's what I thought, thanks guys, it's nice to have it confirmed.

Is there much noticeable difference between 4.10 and 4.88 gears both on and off road?

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 10:08:03 PM »
Yep, that's what I thought, thanks guys, it's nice to have it confirmed.

Is there much noticeable difference between 4.10 and 4.88 gears both on and off road?

It's all relative to tire size.

Stock tires and 4.10 gears are about the same as 33 inch tires and 4.88 gears when comparing RPM and SPEED.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 10:17:14 PM »
Oh, OK. So if I decide to go up in tyre size, I should go down (4.88 from 4.10) in gear size.

Is that part of the reason why alot of the guys with 35" tyres (I'm running 31's) run 5.29's?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:18:26 PM »
you got it bud :yesnod:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
I just had another thought, if I change from 4.10 to 4.88's, do I need to make any changes to anything else, EG: axles etc??

Thanks.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 10:20:18 PM »
No. Do you have IFS?
RIP KYOTA

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 10:21:07 PM »
Well, make sure you have the clearance to run the bigger tires, of course  :cheese:
RIP KYOTA

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:22:20 PM »
No, she's an '84. Solid axle front and back.

Yep, clearance shouldn't be a problem. I'm bumping up the front and the rear only has a tray, not a bed.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 10:25:38 PM »
Make sure you have a professional install them to save you trouble down the road. While you're doing it you might as well toss some type of locker in the rear. Again, save time and money down the road. Dont buy Genuine gear (at least that's what almost everyone says) Personally, I'm running Precision Gear 4.88's with 33's (not for too long though hehehe)  :cheese:
RIP KYOTA

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 10:34:17 PM »
By genuine gear, do you mean Toyota stuff?

> I'm running Precision Gear 4.88's with 33's

That's what I'm aiming for. Is Precision Gear a brand name or a type or style of gear?

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »
Hey DTB do you have a pic of your tray (as in your avatar)? Looks like you've done to your tray what I want to do to mine.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 10:45:10 PM »
By genuine gear, do you mean Toyota stuff?

> I'm running Precision Gear 4.88's with 33's

That's what I'm aiming for. Is Precision Gear a brand name or a type or style of gear?

precision gear and genuine gear are brands and i strongly suggest not using them do it right the first time and get yukon gears i broke a set of genuines within about 10 trips my yukons are going strong

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 10:52:41 PM »
Great thanks for that. Are the Yukon's made in the USA? I'll have to see if I can get them down here in Oz?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 11:58:03 PM »
When you're referring to your truck and it being an 84, are you talking about a hilux?  Just wanna be sure, I know you have a lot of landcruisers down there.  I'd love to have a 79-83 4 door truck, you guys got super lucky on that one!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Siringo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 12:59:47 AM »
No it' not a cruiser, it an '84 2.4l diesel dual cab Hilux. I changed my avatar, you can see it there. She's a great truck. There's not a lot of room, but a surprising amount of room in the back of it.

Mine has an alloy drop side tray on the back which is prety good for getting fire wood with.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 01:11:09 PM »
precision gear and genuine gear are brands and i strongly suggest not using them do it right the first time and get yukon gears i broke a set of genuines within about 10 trips my yukons are going strong
Yotaboy, what's wrong with precision gears? I know alot of people running them with no problems :driving:
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 01:46:43 PM »
Yotaboy, what's wrong with precision gears?

x2

I still say you can't go wrong with Yukon.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:16:58 PM »
a buddy has gone through 3 sets!!! ive never personaly had any experiance with precision gears, but ill never buy any thing but yukon after my eperiance with genuines and watching my friend tear up precisions, but it could just be the install on the precisions for all i know?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 06:23:16 PM »
a buddy has gone through 3 sets!!! ive never personaly had any experiance with precision gears, but ill never buy any thing but yukon after my eperiance with genuines and watching my friend tear up precisions, but it could just be the install on the precisions for all i know?
  Did he set them up himself or have them installed by a professional? :cheese:
RIP KYOTA

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 06:29:01 PM »
professional ha, he dont know what that is lol