Author Topic: FAST HELP NEEDED 89 1-TON GMC 4x4 xcab LWB 454...has IFS too bad  (Read 3050 times)

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
its ifs...wahh  :rivers:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:40:26 AM by billybobf »
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

AlaskaToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • Alien Containment
    • View Profile
You didn't specify DRW or SRW.

D60 front: kingpin type and DS drop of course.
rear should be a 14 bolt (d70 is a possibility though I'd guess) 

If the rear is a 14-bolt, it should have the staked-on drums (good), the heavily ribbed housing center (good), biggest pinion support bearing, and the 9/16 studs(good) instead of 14mm.

My donor was an 89 crew cab w/ 6.2 diesel.  It had the 60/14 with the attributes above.
1-ton Toy

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
cept they said its IFS on the main page
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

AlaskaToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
  • Alien Containment
    • View Profile
cept they said its IFS on the main page

If its IFS, its not an 89 1-ton

edit:  If its IFS, its not an 89 1-ton crew cab.  So maybe I should have held off on my response, since billybobf is asking about an extra cab.  Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 08:07:31 AM by AlaskaToy »
1-ton Toy

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Alaskatoy it must have been rebadged then because 89 was the  body change for the pickups and they went to IFS  throughout.  The suburban  came in the old body style but only up to 3/4 ton.

Ive never seen  a chevy with that body style with a stock front 60.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

AlaskaToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '02
  • Alien Containment
    • View Profile
Alaskatoy it must have been rebadged then because 89 was the  body change for the pickups and they went to IFS  throughout.  The suburban  came in the old body style but only up to 3/4 ton.

Ive never seen  a chevy with that body style with a stock front 60.

The 1-ton (crew cabs at least) retained the older body stye thru '91 and had d60 fronts.  This MAY only be applicable to crew cabs though.

billybobf:  you may be better off asking at coloradok5

1-ton Toy

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i see you are correct.  i just did a search on ebay and the only ones im finding  is the crew cab model  in the older style.  im finding till 1990   might have been a mid year thing  ? *shrug*
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
its listed as extended cab....not crew cab

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
the crew cabs retained the solid axle  in the 1 tons thru fall 91,  changed to ifs for the 92 model year
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
but not the extended cab right?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
not that ive found
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
ok...ill wait.....Hey, four 36 inch humvee tires, beadlocks and runflats...160 plus driving to go get them cost me 100 bucks to pick them up....with a trailer behind my poor abused honda....might get extra tires while at it...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
have you seen pictures of this truck??  it is possible it was ordered as a solid axle "work" truck
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Havent seen the truck.....gonna try to call later.....if it is dana 60 up front....its worth the 300 for the truck right?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
YAH!  and if you dont buy it  i will ! lol  60 and a 14bolt for 300.. fersure 
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
what if its not a dana....just a chevy....but a one ton solid axle...still worth 300......also, let me know what you think of these tires....prolly cost me 300 for four tires beadlock rims and runflats......or 475ish for eight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8066556770

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
looks like a good deal to me
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
whats a set of chevy one ton axles worth?

BoG-ToY [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You could still order a cab & chassis up through 91 (reg. cab 2 door) 1 ton only, old body style Dana 60/14b, you could get 4L80E or TH400.  Extended cab only appeared in the 88+ IFS version. My dream truck (when gas prices were lower) 91 3+3 454,4L80E, killer desert tow rig.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:11:10 PM by 8D3TOY »

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
what if its not a dana....just a chevy....but a one ton solid axle...still worth 300......also, let me know what you think of these tires....prolly cost me 300 for four tires beadlock rims and runflats......or 475ish for eight
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8066556770
there wasn't a GM corp 1 ton front end.  they used a dana 60.