Author Topic: W56 Rebuild Question??  (Read 2815 times)

Tusker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
W56 Rebuild Question??
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:01:04 AM »
I have what I hope is a simple question.  To save time on my latest buildup (VW 1.9 TD, W56, dual cases in my SAMI), I paid someone to rebuild my tired W56.  When I got it back, I ran it through the gears by hand and all felt well with two exceptions.

1)  Reverse was almost impossible to turn by hand.  I can do it if I blister my hand trying to turn the input shaft.  Should it be that hard to turn?
2)  It won't shift from 5th directly into reverse.  You have to go to neutral and center the shifter, and then go to reverse.  You can here a "click" inside when you go into neutral (probably the reverse detent?)  Since who would ever do that, it doesn't matter to me, but is this normal as well?

I wouldn't worry so much except I cracked the case and found the shift fork nuts were not even hand tight and the bolt for the 5th reverse retainer plate thingy was loose as goose as well.

Sorry for the noob question.  Thanks in advance for the help.
Sami on 35's w/VW 1.9 turbo diesel, W56, dual cases and twin stick, 5.29's, ARB's, YJ's, s/r, etc.

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Re: W56 Rebuild Question??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »
5th to reverse should be like that I beleive...but dont know about the hard to turn part.....
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:17:08 AM »
the gears could be sticking a little because of the soap that shops use to clean the units, and the 5th to reverse is the lockout so you do not accidentaly shift into 6th gear  :gap: once you put fluid in it, and run it in the truck and get everything spinning it will more than likely free up.

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »
George how are you? Don't run that thing, it sounds like a clearance problem with the fifth gear cluster. maybe an extra shimm or a bound syncro or......I could go on
All the work you have in this thing you should take the few hours and pull it apart to check. It may be as easy as a piece of trash where is don't belong. I wish I were closer it is an easy tranny to work on.

Wayne

Tusker [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply's guys.  The lockout on 6th gear, now that's a GOOD idea :yesnod:

Wayne, I wish you were closer too.  I could use the adult supervision :greengrin:   I was at $5,000 when I stopped counting on this project, but I don't want to run things up unnecessarily either.  I tore the case apart, and everything looks and feels ok.  All the gears turn freely until I put it in reverse, the 5th syncro is operating normally and not binding, it looks fine to me inside, just tough to turn once you put it in reverse gear.  With going through the counter gear though, and them not being helical cut gears, maybe that is "right".  For giggles, I went into the barn and tried the same thing on a Samurai tranny today, and it was tough to turn in reverse too.

Anyway, any more words of wisdom are welcome.

Sami on 35's w/VW 1.9 turbo diesel, W56, dual cases and twin stick, 5.29's, ARB's, YJ's, s/r, etc.

Tusker [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 07:41:57 AM »
Well, I found all the bolts inside the tranny were loose and it was put together dry as a bone.  I tightened everything up and lubed all the bearings, syncro's and gears with asembly lube and put her back together.  Reverse is still tougher to turn than the rest of the gears, but considerably better than it was.  I am going to install and run it and hope that it is ok.  :crossed: