Author Topic: what brand of brake rotors and pads do you use?  (Read 2964 times)

Jeffe 81

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
what brand of brake rotors and pads do you use?
« on: May 14, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »
its time for me to change the pads and rotors on my '81 pick up.  The brakes are stock 4x4 early '81 calipers and I don't have the $ to upgrade the calipers. What have you been happy with?  Are slotted and drilled rotors worth it?  Where did you find them?  LC engineering seems to have the best deal going at $45 per rotor that is drilled and slotted, but I couldn't find much else other than them and JC Whitney( back ordered for at least a month).   ??? :help:
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Stock rotors, so far.  When the time comes, I'll go with NAPA replacements.  NAPA pads as well.

J-BO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Take it apart
    • View Profile
X2 - Napa
1985 Toyota 4Runner
22RE, 63" chevy's out back, hybrid rears up front.  36" IROKs, dual stock cases, Lincoln locked rear, and Aussie locked front.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DD/TR
6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, 6" Rancho Lift, Edge Juice Attitude Programer, 35" MTZ's.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
when i went through my front end it had the original calipers and rotors so i got some rotors and reman calipers at carquest.  working great so far :yupyup:

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
X3 on the napa.  However for my car (civic) rotors I usally call around to see who is cheapest.  For my truck i just order from
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
 :imwithstupid:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
X4 NAPA for a decent quality rotor.

As for whether or not drilled and slotted are worth it, that is a subjective question.  Drilled and slotted rotors have Pros and Cons like anything else so it comes down to what you want.  The following is my understanding of this issue.

Pros:  Good looks, decreased inertia for acceleration/deceleration, decreased unsprung weight for suspension performance, improved offgassing (venting) of the brake pads under hard use, better feel (pad release)

Cons: Stress concentrations at cross-drilled holes leading to premature cracking, decreased thermal mass, added expense for a quality rotor.  Note that thermal stresses are huge when you consider that your rotor may cycle up and down hundreds of degrees every time you jam the brakes going into a corner.  The brake system is designed to turn momentum into heat.  The formula for momentum is M=1/2mv^2 where m = mass and v = velocity.  Obviously the velocity term is the killer but vehicle mass and tire diameter are also very significant when it comes to braking performance.

My opinion is that D&S rotors are not worth it due the potential decrease in service life although the big players in the market are split on the issue when you look at their marketing literature (keep in mind that it is marketing literature and not the actual engineering test results so interpretation is applied to best serve their purpose).  The minor performance gains are most applicable to sports cars, not trucks with solid axles and oversize mud tires mounted on steel wheels.  Besides, I have more lead weights balancing my tires than I stand to shave in rotor weight by drilling them.  Another concern regarding low cost D&S rotors is that they may not be quality...the phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind.  That's just my two cents.  Whatever you get, they'll probably stop the truck just fine.
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
One more thing...if the local auto parts shop tries to sell you "lifetime" pads, don't do it unless they can tell you what the pad compound is and prove that it is of decent quality and performance for your application.  Of the two sets that I have replaced on various vehicles, I've come to the conclusion that they must design the lifetime pads to basically last forever.  The drawbacks are that you lose all sorts of performance and the rotor generally becomes the consumable component which, conventiently for them, isn't covered by the lifetime warranty.
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
im running oem replacement brembos i got from tire rack, they are still straight even with the abuse i put them through, whereas the rotors i had on their before, were warped within a week......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
One more thing...if the local auto parts shop tries to sell you "lifetime" pads, don't do it unless they can tell you what the pad compound is and prove that it is of decent quality and performance for your application.  Of the two sets that I have replaced on various vehicles, I've come to the conclusion that they must design the lifetime pads to basically last forever.  The drawbacks are that you lose all sorts of performance and the rotor generally becomes the consumable component which, conventiently for them, isn't covered by the lifetime warranty.

to a point this is true, but you also get MUCH better braking performance.  Between our "premium" pads(which are lifetime warranty) and our lower quality pads, there is a huge difference in stopping ability.  As long as you don't get Super Duty or Heavy Duty pads(which are much harder), the premium lifetime pads are really an OEM replacement. 

For example, if you went into a NAPA looking for pads for an 84 toy 4x4, you might be offered a set of pads for (ts7069)14.99,(ss7069) 24.99 or(ae7069) 32.99(these are just baseline prices).  Unless   you are driving a trail only rig, I would not suggest either of the less expensive pads.  I really try not to sell them.  People come in and say "well, I won't be having this car long" or "it's only a $150 car".  But you have to remember the Lexus in front of you cost $32,000.  So for $10 more, having better pads is usually a good idea.
Just remember: Brakes are the most important safety system on your vehicle.

:rant:

Jeffe 81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice everyone!  I decided to go with the LC engineering rotors that are drilled and slotted.  I live in Colorado so having cool running brakes is a must.  I'll let you know how they hold up-they seem to be a good bargain for $45! :crossed:
'81 with Marlin transmission and 1600 non ceramic clutch, Tri-Y Doug Thorley Headers, Weber 38

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
vented rotors beat drilled and slotted solid rotors anyday. upgrading to larger calipers and vented rotors will barely cost you under 100 bucks easy.
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
toyota rotors, toyota pads. No cheap Chinese crap for my ride.  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Jeffe 81 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
vented rotors beat drilled and slotted solid rotors anyday.

Sorry for the confusion-the rotors in debate are vented, drilled, and slotted-not solid rotors.  I figured for descents that range up to 7000 vertical feet I could use all the help I can get!