Author Topic: Has Anyone ever ran 35 inch tires with stock gearing in a toyota first gen  (Read 14545 times)

Doc Holiday

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
hi, i have a 1980 toyota 4x4 shortbox 4 speed 20r, with a 4 inch lift, i was thinking of putting some 35 inch BFG mud terrains on for awhile intell i can aford some gears, has anyone ever ran a 35 inch tire with stock gears before , if so how did it drive, was it gutless, also will this burn out my clutch, the tires will only be on for one camping trip.
HELP!!!, thanks

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
hi, i have a 1980 toyota 4x4 shortbox 4 speed 20r, with a 4 inch lift, i was thinking of putting some 35 inch BFG mud terrains on for awhile intell i can aford some gears, has anyone ever ran a 35 inch tire with stock gears before , if so how did it drive, was it gutless, also will this burn out my clutch, the tires will only be on for one camping trip.
HELP!!!, thanks

I noticed a huge difference in my 85 (22R) when I swapped out my 32 inch tires to 33 inch tires with stock 4.10 gears.  I'm sure it would have handled it, but I quickly had the gears upgraded to 4.88.

I would save the tire money and do it all at once.  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I ran 36's with 4.10's, 5th gear was out of the question and I had to slip the clutch alot going up hill off road. In my opinion I'd get the gears and tires at the same time, I got 5.29's.
Time to go wheelin!

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Run it, I've been running the stock diff gears for a long time on 37's.  No jack rabbit starts, but it wasn't built for that.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
you'll roast that clutch

20R L43 4 speed, :aaa:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
HELP!!!, thanks
look at your axle codes on the right front fender, if it says G292  then you have 4.10 gears
if it says G102  then you have 4.37 gears
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
you could get by with 33's for awhile maybe but 35's  :aaa:  you will roast the clutch the first trip

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I've been runnin a 22r, l43 on 37's for a year, but I did do a clutch before.   Wasn't till February this year that I put in dual cases.  I say run it and save for a good Marlin clutch and gears.  Also had a 84 with 36's on 4.10's, no problems.   Depends how serious  the wheeling is.
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I've been runnin a 22r, l43 on 37's for a year,
:yikes:

Holy broken tranny batman :yikes:  you have officially exceeded the life expectancy of the L43 tranny :aaa:

its actually a 2wd tranny  and very week,  dont be surprised if it blows apart anyday

i put my L43 back in awhile back but just to get by till ican afford to have my 5 speed rebuilt

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
:yikes:

Holy broken tranny batman :yikes:  you have officially exceeded the life expectancy of the L43 tranny :aaa:

its actually a 2wd tranny  and very week,  dont be surprised if it blows apart anyday

i put my L43 back in awhile back but just to get by till ican afford to have my 5 speed rebuilt

ummm, Actually my second tranny.  First one suffered from a dissappearing shift fork(broke, ground up and drained out the the drain plug).  I forced the one two shift too many times with the marlin clutch.  On a good note, I have a w56c on the flloor in my garage.  Which should be a upgrade for everyone with a L43.

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
I ran a 79 with stock 4:37 gears,35's, and a L43.I did eventually swap it for a w56 but it still worked,it needed an input bearing.D/D and wheeled it for 2 yrs like that.Even with a welded rear.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
my 20R, L43, 4.375 combo SUCKED even with 235/75R15 tires!  then again, it had 300k on the clock and about 60 horsepower, so that could've been why.  the poor thing could barely hold 50 on a grade.  it wasn't bad at all with the new built engine and 5 speed, i could do 70 no problem.

one of hte biggest factors that'll kill ya with the L43 is it's lame 3.67:1 first gear.  as if you didn't have an anemic worn out engine as it is, you've also go that high gearing to contend with.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
and you can really notice the difference with the 3.93  and 3.67 1st gears, 

i had the L50 for awhile  and loved it, but it started jumping out of gear  so i changed back to the 43  and dang that 3.67 1st sucks

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Yes, the clutch chatter was unbearable...switching to 5.29's fixed the issue.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i run 31s in my truck with stock 3.07 gears, and a w55 -- the stock sized tires on my truck were 195/75/14

regular driving isnt so bad, but san francisco toasted my centerforce

oh yeah, i snapped the output shaft on the tranny as well
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotaweelr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -53
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Feb '05
  • wheelin
    • View Profile
my 80 toyota hauled with 35" tires and 6" of lift. with a 20r, that stupid side shifter trans, and 4.30 gears. I liked it better than my 81, with 22r, w56, dual cases and 4.88's with 35"s now 37's. and tell you what, I never had problems with my l-43. only with my w-56. trail running all you need is a dual case, don't regear the axles.

Doc Holiday [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
i wonder what type of crawl ratio you would have if you ran 571 gears with 31 inch tires and dual transfer cases ( both cases having crawler gears )  imagine that!!!!!!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
i wonder what type of crawl ratio you would have if you ran 571 gears with 31 inch tires and dual transfer cases ( both cases having crawler gears )  imagine that!!!!!!
according to my calculations (which are probably way off) around 12613.39:1
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile

i seriously hope you are joking... what happened to you posting in the docs question thread?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

sandboxtoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
I RAN 5:71 WITH 31'S AND WAS ABLE TO BEAT NEW CHEVIES IN A STREET LIGHT DRAG, SHIFTING INTO 5TH AROUND 40 MPH, BUT NO GOOD ON THE FREEWAY, THOUGHT THE SQUIRREL WAS GONNA DIE

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
I RAN 5:71 WITH 31'S AND WAS ABLE TO BEAT NEW CHEVIES IN A STREET LIGHT DRAG, SHIFTING INTO 5TH AROUND 40 MPH, BUT NO GOOD ON THE FREEWAY, THOUGHT THE SQUIRREL WAS GONNA DIE
WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US?  :cheese: :hahaha:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco