Author Topic: e-z locker, Is this thing junk or did I do it wrong  (Read 1665 times)

trax28to

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -72
  • Male Posts: 312
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
e-z locker, Is this thing junk or did I do it wrong
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:06:33 AM »
birfield broke so I bought the longfields and cheaped out on the locker...I know its engaging because they are both pulling in places that they wasnt before...I am hearing to much noise from what another ratchet locker owner is telling me..Its also popping when I'm on flat ground going straight..not consistently popping but pretty frequent..When it pops it sounds like its coming from the passenger side and it also jerks or pulls to the drivers side..hubs are locking and unlocking fine and the installation of the locker looks dummy proof..someone said air pressure in the tires could cause it but how much air pressure difference will cause it to happen or has someoneelse had a problem like this before..I'm not impressed with the product at all.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
There shouldn't be "lots of noise" in fact I never heard my Ez-Lockers at all except when they would pop open on a hard downhill and turning at the same time. Then I would hear them pop open. Tires should be matched including air pressure or you could have them constantly poping open and closed. I had Detroit's on the rear and had to put a spare on once and pulled right back off the road and swapped the front tire to the rear it was popping so bad.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
When I would turn corners in mine I could hear a little chatter, and it would pop every now and then if I started out without the drive train pre-loaded... but it was all fine... never had any problems with it,... to me, you just got to get used to it... they just suck because they tear up tires on the street,...  thats why I got ARB's now :)

old school toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
I have a  lock rite in the front, no problem but I never run four wheel drive in the street.  I did have a jeep and I put one in the back and front. Made lots of noise in the rear.  I ending up taking it out of the rear.  I think there not rec for street very noisy Hope this helps
1988 4runner

BCD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -79
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Did someone say idiot proof because I screwed up mine the first time  :hammer: and I bet you did what I did which is forget to remove the factory thrust washers from the side gears and apply them to the side gears of the locker. When I forgot that, they did the same thing yours sounds like it is doing. Hope this helps
-Brian