Author Topic: Trick for getting wheel locks off  (Read 2614 times)

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
Trick for getting wheel locks off
« on: May 07, 2006, 06:19:03 PM »
I know I'm not the only one who's bought a truck with wheel locks and not recieved the key to pull them. Just get some square tube that is about the size of the outside of the wheel lock (we used 1 inch tubing on mine) and weld at least 2 sides of it to the outside of the wheel lock, then you can twist them off with a wrench, and avoid the cost of the tool to pull them, or the trip to the tire shop to get them removed. Take care if you like the paint on your wheels or are running aluminum wheels to do something to catch the sparks. It helps if you don't really care for your center caps either, mine were rusty so scratching them more didn't bother me.  :flamer:
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Trick for getting wheel locks off
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:34:52 PM »
I found some info in the Stolen rigs and theft board (go figure) can't remember exactly where it was. It was something to the effect of pounding an old socket on with a BFH.   :psss:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:09:27 PM »
or  just get a peice of round stock  and smack sideways witha BFH  till they break off,  then replace the stud later
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »
I'd just hit it with the grinder then BFH...should be able to crack it open with some work.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 07:23:03 PM »
Vice grips
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 07:28:28 PM »
use a 12 point socket just  large enough to be forced onto the wheel lock with a hammer, then remove it like a normal lugnut
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 08:44:38 PM »
use a 12 point socket just  large enough to be forced onto the wheel lock with a hammer, then remove it like a normal lugnut
ding, ding, ding, ding. we have a weiner! thanks, jimbo :greengrin:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 11:22:21 PM »
I'd say again, why are we giving thieves ideas, but I'm pretty sure about the 4th or 5th straight day of being awake they've already figured this out, and probably put it to use! 

I've missed out on some nice sets of wheels at pick n pull because I both forgot to do this, and forgot to go to harbor freight and buy a cheapie set of impacts.  Maybe I should do it on my day off?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:28:35 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 11:54:47 AM »
I used to use a cut off wheel and cut a notch in the lug and use a air chisel to nudge the lock around.  That way you don't have to sit and punch out the lock to reuse the the socket!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

gabriul

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 100
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 07:46:16 PM »
I'd just hit it with the grinder then BFH...should be able to crack it open with some work.

why not cut the lock bolt to a size of some nut size..... then drop your socket...??

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 08:10:11 PM »
I used to use a cut off wheel and cut a notch in the lug and use a air chisel to nudge the lock around.  That way you don't have to sit and punch out the lock to reuse the the socket!

this idea works really well, i have used this method on qute a few things besides wheel locks.....  my tranny fill plug was completely rounded, i tried welding a nut to it, and the nut would jsut snap off.... after about 10 seconds with the ais chisel, i loosend it with my hand
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 08:18:56 PM »
why not cut the lock bolt to a size of some nut size..... then drop your socket...??
  i don't understand??? pardon for the slowness
RIP KYOTA