Author Topic: 80 2wd------> formula 4  (Read 3792 times)

rlwjaw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -123
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
80 2wd------> formula 4
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »
  Ok here is the deal.  I have this 2wd 1980 frame , long bed, I want to build a formula 4 that is comp legal but will probably only see trail use. I want ideas from this board to help me build it. I am not in any hurry. I am considering an automatic. My son says I should not. What does everyone else think? Your input on the entire project is important to me. I am looking for inovation but want to stay well within the rules and spirit of formula toy.If this means I cant use a formula 4 chassis I want to hear it now not after I finish. I there is something I cant do I want to here it before I do it not after. My first task will be front spring hangars. I need input, input, more input.

ALSO SPONSORS WANTED/NEEDED
 tahnks ahead of time for input and help.
richard Wentworth

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Re: 80 2wd------> formula 4
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:37:55 PM »
So there are many ways to go with this. Are you going to buy your tube fully bent like the Marlin F-Toy is or are you going to bend your own tube? What motor are you using, 20r or 22r on propane, 22re, 5VZE, 3VZE, or 3RZFE? What are your thought +- on the automatic? Just some things to think about. I am not 100% on F-Toy rules and regulations so I am not sure wether or not propane is legal or not. I suggest you go onto Marlin's board and find the F-Toy thread, if you have not already. A LOT of good information there.

Good luck. :beerchug:
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:54:03 PM »
dont know about the 2wd frame being within the rules, but could be,  i would NOT use a auto tranny  ,  22RE  would be your best engine option,  nothing with a carb
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 03:35:12 PM »
Start here with the rules: ;)
http://www.formulatoy.com/

Next, I would consult with your future competitors:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69

Remember, you can't "bend your own tube" you must buy a chassis from an approved vendor. Finally, I believe there is one four seater that is competing now in the series. I will post a picture if I can find it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:41:37 PM by Shoyrtt »
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 03:37:31 PM »
 :)

rlwjaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:52:20 PM »
As I understand it to stay within the rules the chassis must be built by an approved vendor, therefore I will have to buy one allready built. My engine choice would be diesel but that is not allowed. My second choice is 22re gas.I have been to Marlins build up site many times and on pirate. I think the rules are about to be refined. As for the auto I am leaning toward this but I want input. I am told the auto is not worth a darn but I really want to do one. Gear slug seems proud of what they have accomplished with theirs but that is the only place I find any info about them. I understand there is a way to use Marlins stuff with an auto but I havent seen anything about one being used. I would like to here some user comments about using an auto transmission.
 My first mission is to turn the frame right side up and put some springs under it and and a couple of axels so I can move it arround. I plan to use the front spring hanger from Marlin and basicly do a sas. For 3 inch springs what is the optimum distance from centerline of front hangar to centerline of rear hanger for the front springs.
 One quick question for the Marlin crew that built the Marlin Formula, What would you change on it?

rlwjaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »
Thanks for the photo. I read the pirate board daily. I also frequent hendrix and the formula site. I am sure some of the Pirate members visit here and will give there input. I would like to see a formula site where all this can come together in one package. Thank You for the input and keep it coming.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 04:37:35 PM »
I have been to a couple of the competitions and haven't seen an auto used yet. The infamous Wyotech/Extreme 4X4 rig has the Inchworm auto setup but it doesn't seem to make it out to compete. :dunno:

In all of the comps, I was impressed with the rigs that ran propane. There is a lot to be said about driving with rig flopped on it's side across the finish gate within the time limit.  :clap2: A carbed rig will stall. And now that there isn't a penalty for running EFI or propane, carbed rigs have a disadvantage. :twocents:

The only complaint I have heard about vendor chassis are the costs involved in shipping to places like Texas. I can't tell where you are from (not in your info section) but shipping costs might be a problem with the way gas prices are going.

If you can make it to an upcoming event, I would highly recommend it.  :)

rlwjaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 08:58:23 PM »
Since this is the first time I have ever built a rig from scratch I have a
quick question about the rules. I am starting with a 2wd frame and was wondering if it is ok to use a weld on rear spring shackel hanger (Marlin # MC-13264) for the rear of the front springs instead of drilling the frame and inserting a tube? Is this even a good idea? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
richard Wentworth

I also posted this  question on Pirate board

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 11:25:00 PM »
The infamous Wyotech/Extreme 4X4 rig has the Inchworm auto setup but it doesn't seem to make it out to compete.

This is what I would probably do if I were to built one of these, but I'm probably in the minority with this.

In all of the comps, I was impressed with the rigs that ran propane. There is a lot to be said about driving with rig flopped on it's side across the finish gate within the time limit.  :clap2: A carbed rig will stall. And now that there isn't a penalty for running EFI or propane, carbed rigs have a disadvantage.

This coupled with a really good synthetic oil, like redline, would probably work really well.  I don't think a $50 oil change would be that big of a deal in a competition rig either, especially considering you would barely ever need to change it due to low use, and it will not break down while sitting around like a conventional either.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

rlwjaw [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 06:58:22 AM »
Yes these are great ideas. I ran propane on a pu in the early 70's and liked it. I am still a ways off from the final decision on engine and transmission. Please keep the suggestions comming. Any suggestions about the shackle hangar for the front springs?
Thanks
 richard Wentworth

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 09:06:27 AM »
Finally, I believe there is one four seater that is competing now in the series.

Old school wheeler "pook" is the PBB alias in which you speak. I believe he's running a 4 seater because he takes his daughter out with him. :thumbs: He was at the Tin Benders run a couple weeks back. Black with white panels...
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat: