1981 Toyota pickup. $5000 - or trade for a MINT 1st gen 4-runner +/- cash.
I'm ready for the next project. I've probably got over $10,000 in this one.
Austin, TX area
2nd owner. Started life as a longbed single cab, TX truck, never wrecked, no bodywork, orginal paint.
1) 44044s up front, correctly centered, shackled.
2) 4.88 front end, gears done by inchworm, ez-locker in front. Front completely rebuilt with all new bearings & seals. Longfields. Have receipts.
3) Front has been cut and rotated. It aligns out fine & has good pinion angle. No death wobble. No shims.
4) All-Pro highsteer. New. Reinforced frame. IFS steering box (toyota).
5) High-angle driveline in front. Front DS was about $300. No binding. It will vibrate at high speed if in 4wd. It needs to be lengthened a bit for major wheeling, I left it is-is as I planned to do a crawler.
6) Marlin Built L51 HD transmission. This is an L51 that was completely rebuilt. Marlin installs a v6 gearset & upgrades the bearings to a larger size. Low mileage on the rebuild. No leaks, problems, etc. Have receipt. Centerforce 1 clutch. Maintained.
7) 4.88s in rear, done by inchworm. No major axle work in back. New Aussie locker.
8) 1/2 chevy in rear with add a leaf, shackled. 3 degree shims.
9) Extended steel brakelines all around.
10) 15x8 black (powdercoat) steel rockcrawlers (not beadlocks). Tires are 35", 80%+ tread left, full warranty, low mileage. Bought at the same time. Not old wheels or tires. <10k miles.
11) Motor - 7.8:1 CR forged piston 22r. Rebuilt (complete) under 15k ago. Head is signficantly ported. .5mm oversize stainless valves. RV cam (engnbldr).
12) Supercharger - LC Engineering / Camden high output supercharger. New unit, under 10k miles on it. Have receipt. New price is about $2500. Can be used as a low output blower with a different pulley setup ($100).
It hits 5psi boost almost imediately off idle. Peak boost is 10-11 psi at 4000rpm. The truck has a siginficant amount of torque for a 22r and will cruise down the highway at 75mph under 1/4 throttle.
13) EFI - megasquirt, actually a TBI unit (draw-through) from a 4.3L Chevy. It's rated just under 500cfm. It will run at a 90 degree angle, gets much better mileage than a carb, and flows more air without hurting drivability. It uses a heated 02 sensor and will run stoiac at cruise, but the entire system is fully tunable with a laptop.
14) Suspension, basically the whole suspension setup is very recent. Shock towers are fabricated, urethane bump stops all the way around. It's been wheeled once at "beginner" trails out in Katemcy Texas, but didn't run well at the time due to having a carb (weber).
15) Bed has been removed, truck shortened a bit from longbed status. Flatbed with roll cage installed.
16) Other: rock bars that are probably stronger than the frame. Has a 9000lb T-maxx winch that is new. LED tail lights.
17) I'm sure there are things I've forgotten... Brakes are 100% new, new rotors, new calipers, new pads, etc.. 3 core radiator, 22.5 gallon fuel tank ($400).
Anything wrong with it?
The forged motor eats more oil than a non-forged counterpart.
Will need new paint eventually, I haven't kept it waxed. Paint is original.
Interior is 100% stock. Seat looks like new (replaced recently) - but it's basically old school pickup style.
It doesn't have a crawler. Stock transfer case is fine, but isn't low enough for rocks. No AC - I have the parts, but the clearances are tough with the supercharger (22RE style AC, new compressor). Hoses will need to be rerouted on the compressor. Truck runs and drives fine, but can get hot crawling.. A 2nd electric fan will be needed (pusher) or improve the setup of the current fan if you want to drive it around in 100 degree heat at 10mph. Does not heat up at idle or cruise.
How she sits today:
There is likely a bunch of stuff that I've forgotten - so if you have questions about a specific part of the truck, just ask.