Author Topic: Need help asap with 1980 motor and tranny swap...  (Read 1501 times)

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Need help asap with 1980 motor and tranny swap...
« on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Hey guys, this is my first post... nice to have somewhere to go with all my questions. I had a 99 Tacoma 4x4 that I loved, unfortunately it was rolled on the freeway. I then got a 1980 20r shortbed 4 speed, that I love, unfortunately engine blew last weekend. So after a week of thinking through my options I've decided against a 3RZ swap for now (It would take me months to do it myself and would cost me too much to pay someone else to do it and btw I'm without transportation and need something ASAP...) although I do still have my 99 Tacoma and aside from a totaled body, its in great condition. So anyway, instead I'd like to get a 22r short block, use my 20r head, take to an engine shop and have everything rebuilt with somewhat performance oriented parts. First question is that am I right in my information that the 20r head put onto a 22r block provides better breathing and higher compression? I am also confused about transmission and transfer case. Will stock T/C out of my '80 bolt up to a W56 (the tranny I would like to use in this swap)? I called around today and was told its not just an easy bolt up. If not, then should I just get a T/C that would normally be bolted to a W56 and use that? I'm trying to gather as much info as possible in the shortest time and my heads about ready to explode. Any help on the subject would be so greatly appreciated. Also, I'm in Orange County, if anyone has an recommendations for engine/tranny shops, that would be awesome. Thanks!
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Have Marlin do the tranny, I am in OC as well! There is alot of info here about the 20/22R head swap try a search, good luck.

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
the 20r head on the 22r block is cake walk. the only reason the w56 isn't a straight bolt in is because the tranny is longer so won't bolt to your stock t-case, and you need to cut your floor for the shifter since there also in a different location. it will bolt to your block of course. so that is all you have to do though to make it work
Im an OG

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
also if your current 4 speed is a side shifting tranny (shifter linkage on the side not the top) you will need to grind down the input splines on the t-case to get it to mate to the w56 where the splines end on the shaft (closest to the t-case not the actual tip of the shaft) they will be tapered to a larger size they need to be grownd down till they match the diamater of the rest of the splines you could also take the input out of a newer case and put it in  but that would be a weaker setup sense the shaft steps down ill try to find a picture for you