Author Topic: 01, 4cyl, 5spd, driver drop gear xfer stock (7bolts) can i dual it with 82 drive  (Read 2000 times)

banthis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Ok, so I feel kinda stupid now...i think, but I got a good deal on a xfer case out of an 82 toy (top shift, gear driven, 21 spline, passenger side drop).
I have an 01 taco, 4cyl, 5spd, 7 bolt= gear? driven xfer case, dont know spline count but its driver drop.  I was just assuming the reduction portion of the 82 would be irrespective of driveshaft side and wanted to put it between the stock xfer and tranny with an adapter or whatever I needed. 
This will all be spinning a toy front axle out of the same 82 (passenger drop now) but I'm going to be extending/retubing it anyway and had just planned on shifting the pumpkin over and keep driver drop to keep it off the exhaust.
What are my options here-- if everything I'm reading sucks as bad as I think it does, I'm going to need another passenger drop xfer for the dual setup.  But at least shouldn't need another tranny should I if I'm gear driven xfer to begin with?

Dirty White Boy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Toyota Trail Riders
The t-case you have is chain driven. The way I understand it, you'll need this setup here:

Basically, you have your transmission, Marlin adapter (Tacoma tranny to the front of the mini/4cyl t-case), mini/4cyl reduction box, Marlin adapter (rear mini/4cyl reduction box to Tacoma t-case), and then the Tacoma t-case.

banthis [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
oh, was thinking I read on marlin's site that 7 bolts was gear, 5 was chain.  Read that 4cyl, 5spd 01's could come with either (for some reason?)
so my stock xfer case does have 7 bolts, again-- 01 4cyl 5spd, is it 21 or 23 spline?
Rather not have to pull it and stick it right back in just to find out.
thanks.