Author Topic: Line Locks  (Read 2620 times)

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Line Locks
« on: Mar 24, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »
I am ditching the factory E-brake and do not want a drive line E-brake kit.  I have been researching on line lock set, up but there does not seem to be much tech on them. 
I have found that the electric Line Lock kits prove to be unreliable to use as an E-brake, do to issues with the electric selinoid going out after extended use. 
I could not find any info on manual line locks, does anybody have experience with them?
Will they hold up to constant pressure for long peiods of time? 
How easily will they become clogged? 

All of my brake lines are brand new, front to back.  I had the idea of using a manual line lock for the rear brakes to use as a E-break, and using a electric unit for the front brakes so smoking my boggers off will be much easier.  If any body has some advise or experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks...  whiteman

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Online The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Line Locks
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2006, 09:41:08 PM »
Check out Poly Performance. They sell the Jamar Manual line lock. Push on the brakes, push the knob down and it's set. To release, just push the brake pedal again. IIRC, mine was $45 or so.
"between projects"

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

whiteman [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2006, 09:03:32 AM »
I could not find any info on manual line locks, does anybody have experience with them?
Will they hold up to constant pressure for long peiods of time? 
How easily will they become clogged? 

All of my brake lines are brand new, front to back.  I had the idea of using a manual line lock for the rear brakes to use as a E-break, and using a electric unit for the front brakes so smoking my boggers off will be much easier.  If any body has some advise or experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks...  whiteman

Thanks guy's, I have found several different valves online, but I am looking for some input from others who have experience with them.  I have heard that the push button valve has problems with locking up under too much pressure and you have to open a bleeder to release pressure. 

What about the ball valve version? http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.81/it.A/id.136/.f

Thanks Guy's... :thumbs:

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2006, 01:37:50 PM »
Where I used to work we had a HUGE forklift that used a lever operated line lock for the brakes. It could sit all weekend and still be locked up, i mean it would not move no matter how hard you stood on the pedal, and it had a 6 cylinder diesel engine, hydrostatic drive through a 4 speed and a drive axle with 8.??:1 gears in it. I would trust it for an e-brake. :thumbs:
I wonder what some wheelin' organizations would feel about that since a parking brake it a requirement for large trail rides. :headscratch:

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2006, 03:19:26 AM »
Tell uhm if they can get my wheels to turn with that thing on then ok, but until then im riding this trail.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork