Author Topic: Legal Advice  (Read 1514 times)

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
Legal Advice
« on: Mar 03, 2006, 06:06:44 PM »
the first question i would like to ask is: What is the difference between pressing charges and sueing a person?
i was physically assualted early today and i can not find anything on google on the proper legal action to take. thanks in advance for your help.
You win some, you lose some.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Advice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2006, 07:02:47 PM »
I believe pressing charges is simply reporting it to the police, and indicating that you would like the person to be arrested, and "charged" with a crime (assault, battery, murder, robbery, etc.)

Suing a person is the attempt to recieve financial retribution for a persons actions.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:55:44 PM »
the first question i would like to ask is: What is the difference between pressing charges and sueing a person?
i was physically assualted early today and i can not find anything on google on the proper legal action to take. thanks in advance for your help.

The police, regardless of whether or not the victim wants to press charges can pursue some charges involving say spousal abuse. Maybe the best way I can say it is this; in some crimes the victim has the option of having the perpetrator arrested, in some cases that choice is left up to the police.
Bringing a suit against someone does not involve the criminal court; rather it goes to the civil court. An example is…OJ. He was found not guilty by a jury of his peers in a criminal court and regardless of what you believe the case to be, under our justice system he should be considered by his fellow citizens as not guilty of the crimes he was charged with. However, he was found guilty in civil court of wrongful death…a true perversion of our system. You can sue anyone for anything at any time. Our poor brothers in Kalifornia know this all too well. A neighbor can sue you because you smoke in your home and by doing so you are callously risking their health. Even though no good scientific evidence has been found to support their case. You can sue because you spilled hot coffee in your lap, even though you should have known better than to put potentially scalding liquid near your boys while driving a car.
                                         Pardon me…I just ranted didn’t I?
If you were assaulted, someone threatened you with harm. If someone hit you that's battery. I would think that would be a case where the police would have the first option in pressing charges. Maybe, if it’s a case of his word against yours thing might be different.
DISCLAIMER! In today’s overly litigious society I must say this…I am not a lawyer, I don’t play one on TV and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express. In this and all cases involving the law you should contact a legal professional before deciding on a course of action. This tape will self destruct in 60 seconds.
Mark

EDIT...never take financial advice from a poor man, fitness advice from a fat guy or legal advice from a former criminal!
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 09:06:49 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2006, 09:08:36 PM »
If I was in the position where I wanted to pursue the issue I would file a police report ASAP. I would want to get legal documentation recording the incident and injuries.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2006, 02:47:31 AM »
if you dont mind me asking what happened?
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i