Author Topic: March 5 Run in the Sonora Area  (Read 6593 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
March 5 Run in the Sonora Area
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:13:34 AM »
We're goin on a day trip on March 5th in the Sonora Area.  Not sure which trail yet, GERM is waiting until closer to the time to see what the weather'll be like.  If any of you are in the area and would like to make a day trip out of it, you are more than welcome to join up :thumbs: 

So far its,
GERM
BLACKDOG & spotter
RUGER

9 AM at the 108 and Hess underpass.  We will hang out there for about 20 minutes, if anyone would care to join up.  Not sure what trail we're doing, but if you wanna hhook up and go, c'mon up :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2006, 02:09:39 PM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: March 5 Run in the Sonora Area
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:25:28 AM »
Damn!
I'm stuck baby shopping this weekend!!!!!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:45:21 AM »
Damn!
I'm stuck baby shopping this weekend!!!!!

:dunno:  just tell your wife that you got lost trying to find IKEA :thumbs:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:53:12 AM »
 :laugh:

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2006, 01:51:50 PM »
if only my 4runner was ready.....
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »
up

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:11:40 PM »
So where are you going?

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2006, 04:00:22 PM »
So where are you going?

Dunno.  Germ is deciding on that.  We're gonna meet up at the 108/Hess underpass, and go from there.  We'll be there at 9am, and wait for about 20 minutes for anyone else to join up. 

anyone can give me a call at (707) 365-9007 (if I get signal) to let me know you're coming, and we'll hang around for ya

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:51:47 PM »
 :attention:

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:58:17 PM »
So where did you end up going? Cedar?

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2006, 07:06:13 AM »
whos truck is the black exo'ed one?  did he do that exo himself or have it done?
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:20:17 PM »
We went straight up phoenix lake road, and hit some forest service trails off of there.  GERM  is the guy to ask  for sure. 

The exo'd rig is RUGER's, he and a buddy did it together.

Had a blast, had to pull out the winch a coupla different times, encountered some prety slick mud that mad things a wee bit interesting :yupyup:

More pics.  Hoepfully GERM and RUGER will post up some of their pics as well, I posted up the best ones I had

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »
 :attention:

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:45:44 PM »
Looks like fun! BD, what's up with the winch on yer sliders? :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2006, 08:59:40 PM »
none of the pictures I have do it justice, but my truck is sitting at about 45* on the edge of a purty steep drop off.  Not to mention the gooey mud that I'm sitting on.

I'll try to eplain the situation, and hopefully others will jump in with better pics (RUGER AND GERM!!!)

this is the trail

the uphill and downhill sides both had a deep rut going up the middle of them, and water and mud was flowing downhill (wasn't when we originally went down the downhill side

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2006, 09:09:02 PM »
the incoming side was where we were backtrakcign when this happened.  I was leading, and charged up the hill three or four times before finally making  it up nto the up hill side of the drawing.  The plan was for me to then back around, on the incoming area (flat)and then back out to turn around. 

Well, I started backing, then realize that dropping the driver's side tire into the deep rut would be a bad idea, sending me back down to where GERM and RUGER were waiting.  Trying to saw back and forth, I kept sliding down the hill sideways, until I backed onto the flat spot at an agle, where I wedged myself against a tree right in front of where I am sitting in this second pic.  I tried back out of it,  and slid over to the side, where if I went any farther over, my truck would probably have rolled. 
SO we tried to get GERM up.  He charged as high as he could, then he threw out his winch and winched him to the flat spot.  He then backed up as far as he could the uphill side, where we anchoredhim to a tree, then tossed his winch to my sliders.  He pulled me out until I could back down the "incoming trail" and get on flat ground.

finally, RUGER charged the hill, and when he stopped, we threw a tow strap from me to him, and GERM's winch cable from GERM to him, and proceeded to pull him up.  once we got RUGER almost to the flat spot, He unhooked from RUGER, and I anked RUGER up until he was facing me.  Then germ unhooked from the tree, and drove down to the flat spot at the junction.  I backed out til I could turn around and then we continued out :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2006, 10:46:32 PM »
the incoming side was where we were backtrakcign when this happened.  I was leading, and charged up the hill three or four times before finally making  it up nto the up hill side of the drawing.  The plan was for me to then back around, on the incoming area (flat)and then back out to turn around. 

Well, I started backing, then realize that dropping the driver's side tire into the deep rut would be a bad idea, sending me back down to where GERM and RUGER were waiting.  Trying to saw back and forth, I kept sliding down the hill sideways, until I backed onto the flat spot at an agle, where I wedged myself against a tree right in front of where I am sitting in this second pic.  I tried back out of it,  and slid over to the side, where if I went any farther over, my truck would probably have rolled. 
SO we tried to get GERM up.  He charged as high as he could, then he threw out his winch and winched him to the flat spot.  He then backed up as far as he could the uphill side, where we anchoredhim to a tree, then tossed his winch to my sliders.  He pulled me out until I could back down the "incoming trail" and get on flat ground.

finally, RUGER charged the hill, and when he stopped, we threw a tow strap from me to him, and GERM's winch cable from GERM to him, and proceeded to pull him up.  once we got RUGER almost to the flat spot, He unhooked from RUGER, and I anked RUGER up until he was facing me.  Then germ unhooked from the tree, and drove down to the flat spot at the junction.  I backed out til I could turn around and then we continued out :thumbs:

:o Crazy!!! Sounds like quite a rush!! :woohoo:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:24:36 PM »
Sorry it's taken me so long to chime in, but working is getting in the way of all the good stuff.

We had a great trip! We went up to Cedar Ridge area. Didn't even try to get up to the lookout, it was too muddy and covered in snow. We went off to the left just before the hill climb, and went down into the valley there. We followed it out to the end, where we stopped and had a good lunch. It was getting back up the hill that caused problems. BD managed to get sideways, and almost flopped it down the hill (as he discussed in the previous posts), we had a good time getting everyone out of that.

I wish I had some pictures to post, but my computer seems to be uncooperative. I'll have to work on it this weekend, and see if I can post some of the pics.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2006, 10:03:36 PM »
Nice!
I'll be doing my test run at Cedar on April 22nd if you want to join us.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17404
  • Male Posts: 1,021
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:12:47 PM »
finally getting around to getting my pics up
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:17:33 PM »
more

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »
more

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:49:25 PM »
more

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:55:46 PM »
last batch

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2006, 09:59:48 PM »
it was a blast wheeling with you germ and blackdog.  :beerchug: hope to do it again real soon.

happy trails
rich *ruger*  :usa:  :turtle:

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »
Nice! I hope it is still that sloppy in April. :thumbs:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2006, 10:59:19 PM »
Nice! I hope it is still that sloppy in April. :thumbs:

Mini, I'd be interested in going, but I think there is a toy swap meet in stockton on the same day!  guess I'll have to decide :headscratch:

-Ronald Reagan