Author Topic: Welders. Any input?  (Read 4572 times)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Welders. Any input?
« on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:02:52 PM »
I didn’t see a “tool” forum…I hope y’all don’t mind if I start a conversation here.
I’ve done a Downey IFS lift on my old 88 Runner. I’ve done tons of crap to my 85, I’ve still got a sh-load to do. Everything I’ve done has been with a borrowed/community Hobart Handler 120. I’ve decided to step up to the plate and pop for a new community welder. When it comes to product research my nick-name is “The Great Anal-Retento”…I search, read and search some more. I’ve decided on a HTP MIG 160 ($919)…

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_welders/mig_160.html

I was also looking at their 140 and 200. Of course, I looked at the better known brands. HTP seems to a cut above them all, at least in non-industrial grade machines. I particularly like the built in stitch-weld feature. Others offer it as an added cost option. My thinking is this…the 140 ($749) would do everything I think I’d need, but it would be running at or near it’s upper limit a good deal of the time. The 200 ($1069) would do more than I, reasonably, think I’ll need. The 160 seems to be a happy medium, as a plus the difference in price from the 200 will go a long way toward setting myself up with a nicer mask and an aluminum kit. I’ve only seen one HTP in person. Has anyone here had any experience, negative or positive, with HTP?
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Welders. Any input?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:45:01 PM »
I've never heard of htp yet.  I need a bigger ac/dc welder to run my miller suitcase welder, so it just sits idle for now.  But when the time comes it'll weld anything I want to on my trucks.  Have you considered the hobart handler 185, since you've had good experience with the smaller one?  The thing I like about em is you don't hafta buy the regulator or anything, just a bottle and a different spool to run gas, and the price is pretty good too!  You can get em pretty cheap at harbor freight.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:56:35 PM »
  Have you considered the hobart handler 185, since you've had good experience with the smaller one? 

I have considered it, and I have had good experience with the little fella. We, in the community, have worked that little sucker like a chicken bone! I just want to get the best I can afford, the HTP seem to so well made.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2006, 08:31:15 AM »
Miller 175 --$650 and i love it to death...can't beat a miller mig machine, comes with everything you need, except the cylinder....never heard of HTP
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2006, 08:47:29 AM »
You're gonna get alot of hits on this one.  So I'll put my two cents in.  We use a lincoln 130 in the garage and it is a great welder.  I have used a miller on the job to weld steel door bucks together and it was a real nice machine as well(don't remember the model).
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2006, 11:24:56 AM »
There's a lincoln 175 for sale in the parts section, $500 with regulator/hoses.  I'd like to get it, but when I go up that way I'll probably be spending that cash on tires up there.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2006, 09:35:24 PM »
i've got a lincoln 225 ark welder, works great. easy to strike, encellent penetration, and not large. around 500 bucks new.

personally i've had alot of problems with mig welders when it comes to the wires, they always seem to get bent and wont go through the line for me.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2006, 10:10:44 PM »
i would check and see if the local welding supply stores carry parts and expendables that work with the welder and better yet if they stock the parts also check to see if they except tweco parts which are kind of a universal part
id personaly go with a lincoln  we have two lincoln 255's at my work and one lincoln 135 and we use the freaking snot out of them and never once had a problem with them we have replaced the guns on both the 255's because we wore them out but we also upgraded them to a heavyer duity gun and havent had a problem sense but we use these alot more and abuse them alot more than your probably going to

eddyb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 203
  • Member since Jun '05
  • I'm here, I'm in gear, get used to it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2006, 03:02:52 PM »
i've got a lincoln 225 ark welder, works great. easy to strike, encellent penetration, and not large. around 500 bucks new.

personally i've had alot of problems with mig welders when it comes to the wires, they always seem to get bent and wont go through the line for me.

have to be careful with the line so that it does not get kinked. 
A bad day of wheelin' is better than a good day at work

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2006, 03:25:52 PM »
I bought a new Miller 210 last year and love it. It has all the power I need and can turn into a cutting torch if the heat is too high  :flamer: I got it on ebay from some welding supply place in Indiana with free shipping. Indian Oxygen. They have excellent prices on all kinds of welding gear.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2006, 04:12:19 PM »
red: I haven’t used a stick welder in 25 years, so for all intents I’ve only used MIGs. To me it’s the easiest process out there.

yotaboy79: HTP offers Tweco and Binzel type guns. I’ve never used the Binzel style, but it looks like I’d like it a little more than Tweco. The local shops do carry parts.

alwayzbroken: Thanks, I’ll check them on E-Bay. Although, the only other place I’ve seen that sells HTP online sells them for more than the factory. There's a sale on the HTP site.

I’ve looked at the Lincolns and Millers up to the 210 amp area. Although HTP is more expensive (amp to amp) I think they’re built the best and the have some cool features (including a 90 day try out period…in case I’m wrong and they suck!). Now, if I were to find an incredible deal on a Miller 210, I might change my mind. Thanks for the input.
Mark
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2006, 05:27:29 PM by abnormaltoy »

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

stringer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »

Lol, i know how u feel Red.

I recently bought my self a mig 2 months ago, the best thing to do is buy a 210, theres nothing worse than when you have not got enough power flowing through. lash out, buy the 210, look after it and keep it for a life time, you will get your extra moneys worth for sure
89 lux... 7mge supra engine

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2006, 03:49:05 PM »
When you plan to spend $919, what is the $200 more to get a 210? Either way it is going to be expensive, why not go a little farther to get a lot more power. The 210 is a very nice machine.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2006, 05:33:44 PM »
When you plan to spend $919, what is the $200 more to get a 210? Either way it is going to be expensive, why not go a little farther to get a lot more power. The 210 is a very nice machine.

I could spend $150 ($1069) more and get their 200 amp. I don't want to discount other opinions, I just think the HTP welders are way better built. Right now they're on sale. The coolest feature other than construction is the built in stitch weld timer.

http://www.htpweld.com/products/mig_welders/mig_200.html

Mark

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
I like their drive roll system...looks like it will hold up, clean lines on the machine as well..if you can get one go for it, how thick of material do yo plan on welding?
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2006, 07:29:23 PM »
I like their drive roll system...looks like it will hold up, clean lines on the machine as well..if you can get one go for it, how thick of material do yo plan on welding?

Well, so far I've done a little 1/4 inch on my truck. Mostly I'd say I'll do 10ga (?) frame, 1/8 - 3/16 plate, .120 wall tubing, 20 - 24 ga panels, .050 - .080 alum. Maybe some stainless. Fairly light stuff.
Mark

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2006, 11:32:48 AM »
I got my welder! I went with the 160DV (160 amp Dual Voltage). I just picked up my tank, now I have to straighten up my garage so I can work in there!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2006, 01:01:10 PM »
that 160 should work great with the 1/4" and thinner, what brand is it? what gas are u gonna use?

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »
that 160 should work great with the 1/4" and thinner, what brand is it? what gas are u gonna use?

It's an HTP www.htpweld.com
I've got 75% argon mix

I'm so excited, I may run downstairs and fondle it...I mean take a picture of it!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »
rather not see u fondle it :screwy:

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2006, 02:23:18 PM »
rather not see u fondle it :screwy:

Just thought I'd share

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:30:37 PM »
Old post, but at least it's on topic.
I got my welder a little while ago but I haven't had occasion to use it yet. Until now. Before welding my FROR x-member on I had to learn how the machine works, how to adjust it, etc.
I got it dialed in and here's a couple of pictures.

I love makin' stuff

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:37:12 PM »
not bad :thumbs:
your hopping a little bit tho (skinny to bulge) but not bad at all. even discoloration, no holes, lookin good!

USAF EOD tech

abnormaltoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2006, 05:38:31 PM »
not bad :thumbs:
your hopping a little bit tho (skinny to bulge) but not bad at all. even discoloration, no holes, lookin good!

Thanks. In my defense the lumps on the end are just tacks.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Apr 26, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
Thanks. In my defense the lumps on the end are just tacks.
lol, i figured that. just look along the length of the weld, there are parts where its higher or lower than it is in others. everybody makes em, u'd have to weld every day to not.

USAF EOD tech