Author Topic: rear spring shackle angle??  (Read 3592 times)

toynizzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 125
  • Member since Aug '05
  • wheel it till it breaks then fix and go again!!
    • View Profile
rear spring shackle angle??
« on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:49:36 PM »
im getting ready to put my susp on my 85 xtra cab,whats the best shackle angle for the rear,some i have read say 30,35,45 and on and on.whats the best angle to get the most flex outta them?
85 xtra cab pretty stock for now but lots of stuff to come!!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: rear spring shackle angle??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:52:20 AM »
The more angle you have, the more droop you'll get. But, if you go too far then when you compress your springs the shackle will flop flat up on the frame rail. Also the more angle you have the more load sensitive it will be.
It's hard to get a lot of flex out of the rear, just because the springs are so far outboard compared to the front end and the load in the rear isn't always consistant. (camping vs day trip)
I usually set them up around 45deg or maybe a little steeper.

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:00:37 AM »
Try this...measure the length of the spring, eye to eye along the entire curve of the spring...then measure the length between your front spring mount and rear shakle mount eye to eye.  Subtract the frame measurement from the spring measurement...this, theoretically, would be your optimal shakle length...I've never actually measured, but it would allow for perfectly flat extension of the spring without loading it in tension or compression...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
whats the best shackle angle for the rear,some i have read say 30,35,45 and on and on.whats the best angle to get the most flex outta them?

From what I understand, the perfect shackle will be vertical at full extension and horizontal at full compression.

Try this...measure the length of the spring, eye to eye along the entire curve of the spring...then measure the length between your front spring mount and rear shakle mount eye to eye. Subtract the frame measurement from the spring measurement...this, theoretically, would be your optimal shakle length

CTENG has a great suggestion.  You should be able figure out the best place to mount your rear shackle mount based on the length of shackle you plan to run.  I would shoot for vertical at full extension (droop) and somewhere between horizontal and 45 degrees for full compression to avoid any contact issues.  I think that I have heard that 30-45 is a good ride height shackle angle.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

toynizzy [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 125
  • Member since Aug '05
  • wheel it till it breaks then fix and go again!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:32:52 AM »
well i have a 5 inch kit with 1 1/2 longer shackles,im going to have to move all my mounts and all that but was concerned about proper shackle angle,as ive heard ppl getting it wrong and not being happy with end result,spring bind and such
85 xtra cab pretty stock for now but lots of stuff to come!!

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2006, 11:52:06 AM »
From what I understand, the perfect shackle will be vertical at full extension and horizontal at full compression.

CTENG has a great suggestion. You should be able figure out the best place to mount your rear shackle mount based on the length of shackle you plan to run. I would shoot for vertical at full extension (droop) and somewhere between horizontal and 45 degrees for full compression to avoid any contact issues. I think that I have heard that 30-45 is a good ride height shackle angle.

Vertical on droop will most likely not work.  Mine goes past vertical and will lay flat on compression with a 6.5" shackle.   I'd say around a 30 degree anlge at ride hieght would work in most cases.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:13:50 PM »
I kinda like 45-50 deg. but I like my truck to have more droop than compression for a lower CG.