Author Topic: sas dilemma  (Read 8217 times)

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
Re: sas dilemma
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2006, 06:30:39 PM »
ok I didn't read that anyone said this yet. By going to the 86 frame you saveing a bigg headache in not only saving time from the EFI wireing but you also have the IFS steering box on it. If you want you can hire me to make a crossmember to save money. Put the rears up front and to save money put blocks and shackles in the rear. Its really not hard to do a SAS. Engine issues can be a pain and get you frustrated very fast. My vote is just part out the 84 and just keep the axle and transfercase from it for yourself.
i have decided to run chevys and rears on the ifs frame, meaning i would have to move the ifs box anyways. where do you live, if you made me a crassmember i might get killed for shipping. i'm with your idea to part out the 84' but i don't know about the t-case, its a forward shift. i've heard there a kit to make it top shift but would't it be better to find another topshift tcase in my area. PM me if you want any parts off the 84, its a pos so bodyparts are only half there. By the way thats an awsome 4runner in your avatar.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:44:23 PM »
Check out the build up. I think it'll give you a idea of what exactly need to be done.  I pretty much am doing what you want to do with yours and I would say it is by far WAY easier that doing a cab swap or a engine swap. ( http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=20515.0 )I just finished it.  Hopefully it'll give you inspriation.  OH and I live in southeastern Washington.  I'll try to figure out what shipping would be if you want me to make you a crossmember.  here's a picture of what it'd look like.

and installed.

85_yote_94

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 24, 2011, 10:07:09 PM »
so I'm doing what i was told and posting this here, i was just afraid fart would tell me how dumb i was for making another thread and i should search so i figured why not post in a thread thats already there o well. (pirate has scared me to many people gettin flamed)

do you consider an sas hard, harder  than swapping an 86 4runner body and drivetrain (cept front axle  :hammerhead:  ) onto an 84 runner frame. the swap seems like allot of work but is it worth having an 84 frame with a higher front arch with rears up front and highsteer, i will probably have to put on a drop hanger for pinion angle. also is the ifs frames lower arch result in a lower front crossmember so adding a a spring hanger to it would make it drop down more making the pinion point slightly more upward than a sa truck with i drop hanger? should i swap the 86 body on and drivetrain and run it semi stock or should i sas because its easier to do? help me out and point me in the right direction.

P.S. I AM A NEWB, and the most I've wheeled is a couple little puddlesand got my dads truck stuck in snow. i have a nylint rockcrawler i have modded and can pick out some good lines with it. i was still thinking the running the semi stock solid axle toy because then i could learn to pick lines and stuff. (and just because I'm a newb doesn't mean i'm stupid, at least i didn't post this on pirate  :hammer:  )

ya pirate woulda laughed an spit your post out lol sas is easy if you already have your axle together and your parts pile thrown together. good welder and good tools just make everything easier!

HIvoltgeToy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 25, 2011, 08:53:06 AM »
ya pirate woulda laughed an spit your post out lol sas is easy if you already have your axle together and your parts pile thrown together. good welder and good tools just make everything easier!

You would get spit on from the guys on pirate for bringing back a five year old thread!
IBEW Local 1116