Author Topic: I need some ideas for a road trip  (Read 1975 times)

4xtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
I need some ideas for a road trip
« on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »
I need some help. I am planning on taking my wife on a non-off-road sight seeing road trip to a couple of states we’ve never been to. The plan is to Leave out of Tulsa, OK around the first part of June and head west toward Las Vegas, NM and then head north to Colorado Springs, CO, and then head back east to OK through Kansas. What I have in mind is stuff like river rafting, helicopter tours and historical sights etc… Any ideas or suggestions on what to check out would be great. I get impatient trying to find stuff to do using the internet, so I figured if I can get some names and/or locations of stuff to do, I can look them up that way.

Thanks,
Chad

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: I need some ideas for a road trip
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:56:15 AM »
 :psss: wait :bananapc:

I was going to say Las Vegas is in NV, but I just googled Las Vegas, NM and sure enough! I thought I remembered seeing that on a map during our travels last year.

Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:56:50 AM »
Las Vegas, NM is on the border between the Rocky Mountains and the Great Plains.
We have over 900 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »
It's not really along the way, but Santa Rosa State Park down through Roswell, Ruidoso then back up the Vegas is very nice. Cabin rentals in Ruidoso. The last time I was through the area it was the beginning of winter coming back to Tucson from Rogers, Ark.
Mark

EDIT: Chaco Canyon is completely cool, it's an Anasazi ruin.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2006, 12:21:34 PM by abnormaltoy »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:30:26 AM »
Denver, CO has some cool stuff, has a cool mexican resturant called Casa bonita :dunno:

CO springs has a lot of cool stuff too.  The AF academy is beatiful, Pike's Peak, The Garden of the Gods, etc.  Also, I don't even know if its still there, but if you like some good pizza with some cool atmosphere, Fargo's is really cool :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

darin-x

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 403
  • Male Posts: 11
  • Member since Jan '06
  • otsego amigo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:39:25 AM »
The four corners is really cool, try to come to durango, silverton, telluride, ouray, all witin a stones throw of each other,  really pretty mountain towns, excellent camping , lakes, rivers,  very worth it.  Im in Farmington  NM close to all of these places, lots of ruins and such here Oh dont forget mesa verde.  a must see if you make it this way, again all this stuff is basicly an hour apart.  i can answer any questions you have about the area

we also do have one of the best places to wheel,  CHOKE CHERRY CANYON
f or be f"d