Author Topic: EFI 85 toy, what year fuel pumps work,, ?engine dies after 2 seconds  (Read 2352 times)

toy4crawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 291
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
 Please help 
 I do not have a fuel pressure gauge.                        FIXED IT

THANKS GUYS
  Trouble shooting engine not running,
Have spark
engine starts , runs 2-3 seconds
  If you start it and quickly give it gas it responds (higher RPM) but dies faster than if you did not give it gas  :help:  :confused:

My Rig has been sitting more often lately, Bay area, no freezing.
 I started it 2 weeks ago to charge battery and keep things lubed, I walked away and about 20 minutes went by and I came back and it had died while I was gone  :yikes: (KEY ON, engine dead). 

Checked all Fuses, Checked spark, I have not changed anything on the engine.
It did this once before But I was there to turn the key off and re start it ok.[/font]
 So I could not get it started at all.  I came back a week later and Now it Starts but then dies.

THANKS Guys[/font]
      FIXED IT
  IT WAS PLUGGED FUEL FILTER ,that would explain why the engine died on it's own, old gas and old fuel filter[/font]

I disconnected the Fuel F on the inlet and turned the Key and the Fuel just kept running and pouring out ! I did this twice for 5 seconds.
Bolted in new Filter and turned the key on with no starter to fill up the fuel rail , then hooked up starter and it started up no problems and kept running , NO :pokinit: !

the filter seems to have collected something to limit the amount of fuel, or call it a mystery

« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006, 12:25:25 PM by toy4crawlin »
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
85 4Runner,Marlin #276, 4.7 case, Detroit 488's, 36 Beadlocks
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Fuel filter frist.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Jumper the fuel pump check connector to make sure the Circuit opening relay is working properly and AFM shut off circuit is not the problem.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
Jumper the fuel pump check connector to make sure the Circuit opening relay is working properly and AFM shut off circuit is not the problem.

Great thanks,  So the fuel pump check conector is the blue two wire flat connector on driver side next to the coil/ignitor ?

and I jumper it and  start engine?  and if it stays running I need to replace the ? relay? somewhere?
 ?  :confused: this checks the AFM at the same time?
4Sale stuff,  350 trannies, Dual shackles,  J steering arms etc. Auto meter gauge pods.
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
turn the ignition but, not start the engine, can you hear the fuel pump running? I second, giving the fuel filter a change.

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
OK thanks    I'll try it Sat when I  drive back to my rig at parents house

where is the fuel pump relay,  ?? :confused:  if I left the key then Wouldn't it be fried ?
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge

supratruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Member since Dec '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I PM'd this but I thought it would be useful to post it too

I don't remember where the check connector is, my truck has a supra swap so its not the same any more, but that sounds right.  The fuel pump is turned on or off by the COR which is closed by either the starter signal or a switch in the AFM. The check connector shorts the AFM switch.  To test jump the connector and put the ignition to the on position. You should hear a click from the passenger side lower dash and hear the fuel pump running.   If if you hear the click but the pumps not running than its either the pump or its wiring thats gone bad.
If you do here it running than try to start the truck and see if the problem is still there.

If you don't here s click then the COR is bad(or you didn't short the right connector :smack: ). Its located on the door pillar behind dash just above the ECU and infront of the blower box.  If I remember right, you can get to it by removing the glove box.

http://pneumya.com/webdocs/xxx1985toyotatruckfsm.pdf
« Last Edit: Feb 08, 2006, 05:52:54 AM by supratruck »

toy4crawlin [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
  • Ultimate Marlin #276
    • View Profile
THANKS Guys[/font]
      FIXED IT
  IT WAS PLUGGED FUEL FILTER ,that would explain why the engine died on it's own, old gas and old fuel filter[/font]

I disconnected the Fuel F on the inlet and turned the Key and the Fuel just kept running and pouring out ! I did this twice for 5 seconds.
Bolted in new Filter and turned the key on with no starter to fill up the fuel rail , then hooked up starter and it started up no problems and kept running , NO :pokinit: !

the filter seems to have collected something to limit the amount of fuel, or call it a mystery
92 4 Rnr
----Ride Santa Cruz
----Street Luge