Author Topic: What breed would be best?  (Read 8799 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
What breed would be best?
« on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:02:32 PM »
Ok guys, mom told me that I need to get a dog because I travel a lot and go campin and fishin and wheelin, and she'd be a lot more comfortable if I had a dog with me when I go on my excursions :gap: So...... :eyebrow: Any ideas? Breeds? Preferences?

I've been thinkin bout gettin a dog for a long time, but not really motivated till today when she told me that.  I like fullsize dogs that don't shed tons, short hair and a decent rep.  I am lookin into a Rott right now, but I'd love to hear any others that you guys have in mind.

:greengrin: Thanks in advance
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

gturismo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 327
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: What breed would be best?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »
I think that a Lab would be a good choice.  They make pretty good outdoor dogs.  They usually love water too.
85 Runner

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:11:31 PM »
rotties.  i have a rott/pitt cross.. hes bout..  150 lbs or so lol..  hes a big weenie (afraid of the vaccume) and loves people but if theres a threat and he knows when there is he gets pissed and protects me and the house or whatever i happen to be in.

Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:25:56 PM »

I've been thinkin bout gettin a dog for a long time, but not really motivated till today when she told me that. I like fullsize dogs that don't shed tons, short hair and a decent rep. I am lookin into a Rott right now, but I'd love to hear any others that you guys have in mind.

:greengrin: Thanks in advance
Decent rep and rottweiller are not synonomous :slap: (no offense to you rottweiller owners, but you know that is true) And you might want to check with your property insurance, an lot of insurance companies charge extra or won't cover if you have a rott or pit bull. (at least round here).

Go to the pound, adopting a dog will make you feel great. A mixed breed dog tends to be healthier and live longer and are not prone to in-bred genetic disorders.

Check this out http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/goldendoodle.htm yes, stupid name!! but it's so cool!  it's a golden retriever/poodle crossbreed. And don't laugh about the poodle part, poodles not only are one of the smartest breeds, they don't shed and they were orginally hunting dogs, that's where that weird foo-foo haircut comes from. :yesnod:

Here you go...

Select The Right Puppy By Its Characteristics

http://www.pgaa.com/canine/general/size.html
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2006, 06:34:17 PM by MrsWillyMammoth »
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:32:45 PM »
Labs are great dogs, very even temperment and love the outdoors. Whatever you get make sure you get it trained properly. Dogs love to please and there is nothing happier and more enjoyable then a well trained dog.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:39:25 PM »
the reputation with rotts and pitts are due to owners  not the dogs them selfs.  ive come across tons of rotts and pitts that were more well mannerd than any other dogs ive seen.
at the shop i used to work at  he had a almost pure white pittbull.. this dog was so musclely and mean lookin you would think he would come and rip you apart at the slightest wrong move. but this dog was the best dog ever  he was so nice and playfull and just wanted to be loved and petted.   With proper upbringing these dogs can be the best dogs out there.   Like i said its not the dogs fault they have the reputation they do  its the worthless douchebag owners faults that make the dogs have the rep.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:39:33 PM »
i say  a Samoyed / wolf hybrid like my Amy,  i came home yesterday to find her on the porch she had broken her chain (1/4 inch welded steel link) :yikes:  and she was chewing on a bloody piece of denim,   i later found my shop had been violated,  luckily the toolbox full of tools was spread across the yard

i Love my doggie
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
 :love:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:50:44 PM »
the reputation with rotts and pitts are due to owners not the dogs them selfs. ive come across tons of rotts and pitts that were more well mannerd than any other dogs ive seen.
at the shop i used to work at he had a almost pure white pittbull.. this dog was so musclely and mean lookin you would think he would come and rip you apart at the slightest wrong move. but this dog was the best dog ever he was so nice and playfull and just wanted to be loved and petted. With proper upbringing these dogs can be the best dogs out there. Like i said its not the dogs fault they have the reputation they do its the worthless douchebag owners faults that make the dogs have the rep.
Totally agree, Ironclad, but that is above and beyond.

She asked for a dog with a good rep and owners fault or not, neither of those dogs have a good rep and people have a hard time with their insurance companies because of it.

It's like the rep doberman's got at one time. Those dogs have to be well trained and you need to be in control of them, not that all dogs shouldn't be well trained, but that's another thread.

We had a friend with a big ol' pitbull that was just the sweetest thing.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:57:10 PM »
 :sheerterror:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:58:36 PM »
:sheerterror:  one of the best watchdogs ive ever had the pleasure of having :bud:

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »
always had queenslands they are loyal.  i think the female are more so than the males. they can be very protective though.

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:04:22 PM »
always had queenslands they are loyal.  i think the female are more so than the males. they can be very protective though.
:worthless:

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:05:32 PM »
Keep in mind you are going to have to feed this dog, and if you will be getting an apartment it could be difficult getting one with a very large.
There are medium sized dogs that can protect as well as large breeds.

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:07:24 PM »
  :love:  :yikes:

Where is the Mammoth?

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:33:51 PM »
the most personally pertective dog I ever had was my black lab shadow and my vehicle whichever one he was in at the time was his domain and he was very protective of me, it , and everything and everyone in it .
 god I miss him .

so I say lab.
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:45:21 PM »
:love: :yikes:
how long did it take you to get all the hitchhikers out of his coat??

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
I have to recomend a lab or lab mix. We've got 4 dogs ( black lab, lab rot mix, malamute german shepard mix, and a pit mix), the pit is fine with us, but a nightmare for anyone who doesn't live with us (super mean, and she knows the taste of a UPS driver's shoe because of it). The black lab, is a fat little weenie. He's scared of loud noises, is scared when he makes someone mad, completely unaggressive toward people. The lab/rot mix is great, if anything she's aggressivley friendly, which can cause a little trouble. The malamute mix, was the same way when he was a pup, but has become moody as hell now that he's a couple years old. If he's not near food, he's a big teddy bear, step between him and his food and he starts to act more like the wolf he's the size of.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:51:14 PM »
he was a spoiled brat,  living it up in the house till he started openeing thr fridge and getting lunch meat out of the crisper drawer   :chew:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:53:13 PM »
where do you live trike  Amy needs a friend 

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:10:16 PM »
Awsome love the replies.  I have highly considered a Queensland as we've had a few but they shed like crazy,  :crazy: as do Labs.... However.... more ideas!! Keep em comin! :beerchug:

Thank you guys! I have to get back to work or I could totally catch up but I'll try to tomorrow  :hammerhead:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:11:26 AM »
how long did it take you to get all the hitchhikers out of his coat??

That was so funny, that was when we were camping about a month ago with the jeep club. We had a nice big area he could run in and he was just running balls to the wall around when he bunch of weeds and BOOM he went from black to brown just like that.
I was laughing so hard I couldn't call him to stop, he hit those weeds a few more times before he was done.
Fortunately his fur is really smooth and the clingon's don't stick too well, but we still had a bunch in the LBC before the weekend was over.

But so as to not get any more :offtopic:

If you look at the link I posted above http://www.pgaa.com/canine/general/size.html you will be able to check on the characteristics of all dogs by weight group.
In the 51-80 lb group. They show the lab shedding as "average" . So going on what you know, "shedding like crazy" is considered average, I guess.

Just about every dog in that size group and the 81 lb and above group was average, constant or seasonal.
The light or little shedders were:

(51-80 lb):
Giant Schnauzer (light)
Irish Water Spaniel (light)
Poodle - Standard (little)
Redbone Coonhound (light)

81+ lb.
Black Russian Terrier (little)
Bouvier Des Flanders (little)
Bullmastiff (little)
Komondor (little)

They all sound very expensive.

You wouldn't consider adopting from the pound? I would be very rewarding to give an unwanted dog a good home.

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2006, 08:53:24 AM »

You wouldn't consider adopting from the pound? I would be very rewarding to give an unwanted dog a good home.

I am deffinately gonna adopt from the Pound.... and I would prefer to get a full blooded whatever I get :dunno:

:whip: Back to work :down: I'll check out that site when I come back :gap: Thanks!!!!

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:13:37 PM »
that's where I got both of my buddys Harley/doxie mix in 96 and tiny/pure mini pin.  last year
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since May '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:15:36 PM »
oh and light shedders both

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:03:27 PM »
I can't believe nobody's mentioned a mut yet!  Gotta love the result of the neighborhood pregnant dog!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »
i love my huskies. Most friendly dogs i have ever met and extremely loyal.

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2006, 09:18:30 PM »
where do you live trike Amy needs a friend
Roy/Eatonville, WA area, we don't need any more dogs though (neighbor's mutt thinks she lives here already, that'll change soon though, once the 3 younger dogs are penned up like my rot, she'll have nobody to play with).
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2006, 11:06:05 PM »
Go to the pound, don't worry about a full breed.  :nope:  They are generally not worth the extra $$, especially for just having a companion.  A pitbull terrier is a good sized dog, doesn't shed to much, and can be pretty dang intimidating.  We used to have a boston terrier that was one of the best watchdogs you could ever have.  He was a bigger boston, but he would go balls to the wall to protect our family if need be.

Get a dog as young as possible, so you can train him/her right, and get a short haired dog.  They may shed a lot, but their hair is not as noticable. 

Above all, get a mutt.  Like MrsW said, less inbreeding problems, and you generally get the best of both breeds.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:32:58 AM »
YES, RESCUE A DOG! Seriously, I don't think staight up buying a dog is worth it, if you can change a dog's life for the better go for it.

My dog was found (by us) on the side of the highway (speed limit 50 everyone does 70). She was 3 pounds and could barely walk. The vet said she was around 3 weeks old, if that. She now weighs 55 pounds fully grown, has no health problems and is one of the happiest dogs I have ever seen. Thinking about how close she was to death puts a smile on my face, she would have died without our help and now she has a great life!

My dog is a mix of husky, australian shepard, and some other stuff, its a mystery...
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status