Author Topic: Steering Knuckle rebuild.  (Read 3425 times)

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
Steering Knuckle rebuild.
« on: Sep 05, 2003, 03:34:23 PM »
I have some gear oil running down the inside of my front tires.  I am assuming the seals are probably bad.  I was thinking of rebuilding the steering knuckles since I am sure they have never been.  Is this a job that somone who never has done it should tackle or should I pay somone.  It doesnt look that hard?   Where is the best place to get the kit?  NWOR, LC,ALL Pro ???? Oh yeah its an 85 Toy pickup.
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
Re:Steering Knuckle rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2003, 04:11:12 PM »
the hardest part is to remove the cone washer, you should hit them with a brass bar so you don't destroy the lug.

I found that http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/front_end/, it explain all.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2003, 04:15:21 PM by 88runner »
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2003, 04:33:14 PM »
I got my front end seal kit form Randys Ring and Pinion For a little over a $100.00 and negotiate with them there prices are not set in stone.

Its not a hard job at all just put it together how it came apart  :greengrin:
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

toymachine

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since May '02
  • Marlin's the best....its that simple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2003, 06:20:57 PM »
The cone washers realy aren't that hard to get off. Just use a screwdriver and mallet or something of the sort.  
It makes things alot easier if you get a socket for your spindle nuts.  
While you have everything apart, you might want to check your nearings and make sure they don't need to be replaced.  

When you take the hub off, if you don't plan on taking it all the way apart and cleaning everything, then don't let your curiosity try to make you play with it, because it is a B*T#H  to get back together.....if you feel you must , you can search for how to do it on the internet, or just look carefully how the springs go on the tabs.

Thats about it.  Ive taken my front end apart about 3 or 4 times, and never changed those seals/covers on the back of the knuckle, but i should, because they do leak.  
Lowriders are for guys who can't get it up!!!

98runner chevota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 361
  • Member since Dec '02
  • PoP pOp Fizz fIZZ oh it must be a BIRF. It is!!
    • View Profile
    • PortlandBusinessGraphics.com
« Reply #4 on: Sep 25, 2003, 08:01:47 AM »
only thing that i can say is take your time and dont do both sides at once do one side if you have a digital camera use it to take pics. the locking hub is the hardest part to put back together if you do decide to take it apart.  good luck

Mark
1998 4runner with 4.3 liter Chevy vortex/ turbo 400/ 205 tcase/ hi pinion 44 up front with 4.88 arbs front and rear/ rear is a turbo with 4.88s/ 63" Chevy's in rear with 5 in Chevy's in front/

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2003, 04:12:10 PM »
I've had to do mine a couple of times, and since I'm from the somewhat red-tech mechanics school I used RTV for all the seals and it is bad news! get a good rebuild kit, and make sure that you rotate the rotor with your hands side to side as you slide it on so you don't pinch the spindle seal (the thing that looks like a ring that has a rubber seal on the inside) also-inspect all the parts and seals carefully, I missed the problem with my spindle seal the first time I did mine and I got the pleasure of doing it again-the rubber had torn.  also, pack the inside of that stupid freaking axle seal with grease because grease is good and it helps it seat right.  place the axle carefully in there as well because you don't want to ding up that stupid freaking seal.   good luck.  it's really not too bad, just go slow and pay attention.  easy peasy.
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2003, 04:13:32 PM »
Ooh, for bonus points, put some grease in your birfields while your there-but don't go too crazy, just make sure they're happy.
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2003, 09:50:37 PM »
another thing that i do that i read somwhere is to run the red (GM i think) grease in the birfields.  it tends to not dribble so much when you take it apart later on down the trail.

oh yeah.  it's an easy job to do.  just messy and the cone washers can be a pain sometimes.  drown the cones in WD40 a day before doing the job if you have the chance.
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2003, 12:45:57 AM »
I actually didn't take off the knuckle arms when I did mine, but I had to get a seal puller to get that stupid freaking seal out of there.  but next time I do mine-to install widening kit! I'll be doing that, hey quick question then: How do we know how many shims to put under the knuckle arms? My good buddy told me that the wrong amount will cause the axle to spin irregularly, thus destroying that stupid freaking seal.  TIA!

Rock_Starr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2003, 01:57:30 PM »
Dont mix greases. Clean out ALL of the old grease before adding any.  Mixing grease types will cause them to come out of suspension and dribble oil.
Free wisdom for all:
"Spend your beer money on yourself, sex with strangers is often weird and uncomfortable, marriage ruins everything, and oh yeah, Gatorade is delicious."