Author Topic: Share yer unfortunate events!  (Read 3069 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Share yer unfortunate events!
« on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:15:08 PM »
Why not have an unfortunate event thread? We got the what are you doing thread, the where do you work thread, how bout the "this didn't go right" thread?

I guess you can call it the complaint thread :hahaha:  :hammerhead:

I'll start :ack:

I drove down to LA last night towing a trailer to pick up a van from my grandparents. Well, it took me 6.5 hours to get there, and this mornin after a no sleep night, we tried to load the van and it didn't fit on the trailer, it was about 2 inches too wide for the trailer :tantrum: So, I hooked the empty trailer back up and left at noon-30.  Got home at 7:30...... :ack: :sleepy:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Share yer unfortunate events!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:18:25 PM »
2 inches??  man, that sucks.  Shoulda called me, I've dealt with that before, and fixed it in some interesting ways :yikes:

lets see.  When I picked up the 4runner with the donor engine for my truck, and got it back to VV, it was about 1:30 am.   The frame was cut for a 4 link.  To get it off the trailer, RUGER and I picked up the rear sections of the frame and "wheelbarrowed" it toward the back of the trailer.  Beings as we were tired, and not thinking, we forogt to set the outriggers to stabilize the trialer, and it tiltedas we rolled the 4runner backward.  Suddenly we found "wheelbarrowing" just turned into getting the *%&$ outta the way!!!  RUGER almost lost his boys to one frame rail, and the other came close enough to my leg that it ripped a hole in my jeans.  After all was said and done, 4runer was off the trailer, and ME and RUGER were on the ground, making sure we were alive, and supermat was on the ground laughing.

:smack:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2006, 10:30:01 PM »
Where should I start? There was the time up at Reiter Trails that I was on my ATV and there was a creek. One of my friends crossed the creek on his dirtbike and turned around to watch me. I took the left line where there was a jump. I hit it at around 30mph and landed on 1 wheel and started to bail but I got it back. I was a little wet after that one. And then there was the time that I took the wrong line down a rutted out hill and my ATV ended up goin over side to side 15-25 times. That one didn't work out so well. I have many more stories, but will let others get on with theirs.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2006, 09:45:23 AM »
2 inches??  man, that sucks.  Shoulda called me, I've dealt with that before, and fixed it in some interesting ways :yikes:

lets see.  When I picked up the 4runner with the donor engine for my truck, and got it back to VV, it was about 1:30 am.   The frame was cut for a 4 link.  To get it off the trailer, RUGER and I picked up the rear sections of the frame and "wheelbarrowed" it toward the back of the trailer.  Beings as we were tired, and not thinking, we forogt to set the outriggers to stabilize the trialer, and it tiltedas we rolled the 4runner backward.  Suddenly we found "wheelbarrowing" just turned into getting the *%&$ outta the way!!!  RUGER almost lost his boys to one frame rail, and the other came close enough to my leg that it ripped a hole in my jeans.  After all was said and done, 4runer was off the trailer, and ME and RUGER were on the ground, making sure we were alive, and supermat was on the ground laughing.

:smack:

:funny:
 I heard part of that story, the part RUGER cared to share, but I never heard the details.  As fer Matt ROFL, not surprised there :hahaha:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:12:07 AM »
Here's a good one, it's a series of unfortunate events all in one:

Mark, my cousin, Kathy, her friend, (I'll call her Lynn, I don't remember her name) and I were riding our 4-wheelers in the woods at Croom ATV and motorcycle park.

Kathy's is a racing quad type, Lynn had my cousins other one which is a Yamaha 400 4x4 but has a disengagable front end, Mark and I have Kawasaki 400 4x4's  but you can't disengage the front ends so they are not as maneuverable as my cousins 4x4,the one Lynn was riding.

Lynn was leading, I was behind her, Mark was behind me and Kathy was bringing up the rear.

Lynn was riding faster then I care to but it was pretty fun so I was keeping up.
There were two whoop-dee-doos, a slight turn to the right and then you had to skirt between too trees. There was just enough room for our 4x4's to get between the trees.

Lynn hit it and maneuvered through the trees no problem, I knew I was going a little too fast but figured I could make it. When I hit the second whoops it threw me off to the left, I missed the turn and my ATV climbed the tree, flipped over to the right and pinned me under it against the other tree.

When I hit the first tree my windpipe hit the handle bar, it felt like something was still on my windpipe so I thought I was suffocating. Then I did what any sensible person would do. I panicked! I thought Mark and Kathy might not have seen me flip (they were right behind me) so I start screaming for help.

BUT what I didn't realize was the 600 lb ATV was on my ribs, so everytime I exhaled I couldn't inhale.

THEN, in his rush to help me, when Mark pulled up behind me he parked too close to my 4-wheeler so every time he pulled mine up, it hit his and rolled back on me.

We have snorkels on our ATV's for deep water crossings, and I was pinned with my head forward of the snorkel, I had my full face helmet on and every time Mark pulled up and I tried to get out from under it, I caught my helmet on the snorkel.

Finally, in my panic and need for air, the last time he pulled up I just did all I could to get out from under it and made it. (obviously) :slap:

I was lucky and only ended up with a nice waffle mark on my neck from the hand grip, and badly bruised ribs. We did ride the rest of the say, but I was sore for WEEKS after that one!
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:19:43 AM »
16 years old was a bad time for me....

I was wheeling at White Ladies in Santa Cruz and decided to hit the hill across the street from the church graveyard. The hill was the softest mud I have ever seen in my life. Got stuck about 15' up the hill. The priest called the cops and tried to have me arrested for trespassing and deffication of church land. The cop realized the preist was over-reacting and told me to get my truck out and fill in the ruts and we would call it even.

I was wheeling at Spider Mountain in Boulder Creek and after a day of wheeling I was coming down to the exit and veered off the trail and got burried up to my doors in mud. So, it's midnight, I have no tools to get unstuck and nobody with me, so I had to hitchhike back up to Bonny Doon (20 miles) and went to bed with my truck still stuck in the mud in the hills. The next morning at 7am I informed my dad what I had done and he almost :pokinit: a brick. We went down to the truck, sometime during the night someone broke into my truck, took all my Def Leapord and ACDC tapes, my tape player, and wrote "Ha ha, you dumb :pokinit:" on my drivers side window with mud. We called the tow truck company, that guy said he could not even get up the entrance of the trail to tow me out, so that pissed off my dad even more. My dad then took his stock 88 Bronco (OJ style) and rallied to get to where I was, once we had a way to pull it out I grabbed the shovel and started digging. After an hour of digging and a tug from the Bronco I got unstuck. Then got home, had to detail every single inch of the truck, including the undercaraige and engine, then detailed my dad's Bronco, then detailed my sisters car, then detailed my mom's car, then was informed they were taking my truck away for a month. (I hate the bus)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:34:20 AM »
My first car was a 1987 dodge caravan.  My parents were the oroginal owners, and it was time for mom to get a new car.  Then van still ran (kinda) so they gave it to me.  I promptly took it out wheelin, and by pure chance, I didn't get it stuck.  I banged up the body a little, but nothing too serious.  When I went home, my parents just about :thud: I had to wash the stupid thing, and I couldn't drive for 2 weeks.  As soon as I got it back, with the warning that if I ever tried to wheel the van again, my :moon: was dead,  I took the van out to the same place I had taken it before.  This time, I ran it of the "trail" straight into a mudhole.  Had the pass. side about halfway up the door in mud and some water :yikes:

Hiked out, went to a buddy's house, called my folks, and told them I was spending the night over there.  HE and I went back out in his dad's truck, coudln't get the van out.  We spent about 6 hours digging that stupid van outta the hole, then went to the do it your self carwash at 2 in the morning to get the van cleaned up.  I never did get the carpet clean :headshake:   I just blamed the dirt on my rugby cleats :lipsrsealed: 

Later I found out my parents knew what was going on the whole time.  My friends mom had called them and asked them if they thought it would be alright to pull the van out with the truck, since her husband wasn't home :smack:

I got home the next day, had to wash the van (again) my moms car, my dad's van, and I didnt get to drive for a month :hammerhead:   
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2006, 11:27:38 AM »
:haha: Why am I not surprised that you didn't learn the FIRST TIME!! :slap: :haha:

I got home the next day, had to wash the van (again) my moms car, my dad's van, and I didnt get to drive for a month :hammerhead:   

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:18:20 PM »
16 years old was a bad time for me....

sometime during the night someone broke into my truck, took all my Def Leapord tapes

So they were doing you a favor huh?!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:40:10 PM »
So they were doing you a favor huh?!
Deffinetly! :talkingn:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2006, 06:50:17 PM »
Today almost getting my ass beat in traffic by some punk from my school.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »
Enjoy the book, this is Murphie's Law in action. I had to go get a spare tire I dropped on the trail, cause I was selling the tires the next day. I took my buddy Brandon's 2wd S10. Needless to say, I made it the whole way out to the spot where the tire was, and managed to drag the gas tank on a rock. So I was SOL, and he came down in a 2wd Ranger and rescued me. He left his Mag-Lite there, so we had to go back about 4 days later. By then, I had my truck back in action, so we decided to go out and get it. It was Brandon, my other friend Matt and myself. The Toyota made it like a champ. We found the mag lite in some ruts that looked to be 14.5, but I wasnt sure. It worked, we were happy. I saw a swamp where I had run a few times before, and I was all about gettin some mud on the tires. Everyone was telling me no, but I'm dumb, so I hit it balls to the wall. I almost made it out, and then I hit a ridge, and my tires got gummed up, and I got stuck. This was happening around 3 in the afternoon. I called my freind Pat, who has a BA 88 4runner. He had rolled it, and it wasnt finished yet, but he said he'd come down the DD 86 pickup. We hooked the chain up, and he drove about a foot into the swamp and his front tire blew up. He was stuck where he was. His spare wouldnt come down. Matt got under there and hit it with a 10lb sledge will it dropped, and then we proceded to fix it. In the mean time, I called my friend Ben who has a BA 91 p/u. SAS, 5.29's, 35's, all the goodies. He was still at work, but said he would come down when he got out. Matt, Pat and Brandon left to get Matt's truck, a mid 80's Chevy on 40's. I was left alone with the truck in a bug infested swamp, so I did the only thing I could think of, light up a good cigar and sit on the roof and wait. By this time, it was around 6, and it was getting dark. I sat on the roof and went though 2 cigars, mainly because the smoek kept the bugs away. Ben rolled up around 7 and hooked me up. He pulled me out in about a half hour, and then Matt showed up. We played around till around 8. We decided to leave, and on the way out, I hit my t-case skid on a rock so hard that I thought I had blown my motor up. It whined all night, and continued to until my truck finally bit it. By then, my phone was dead, and I was following Brandon in his 2wd S10 out. He made it to the exit, and he pulled out. Before I could even get to the exit, I saw a cop flashed the blues at him. I cut the lights, slammed it in reverse and hit it. I escaped the cop, and drove way back into the trail. I got out of my truck and walked up near the head of the trail and waited for the blues to go out. About a half hour later, he was still sitting there, so I decided to just drive out there and tell him the truth, that I didn't know it was private property. I went back to my truck, and couldnt find my keys. I ALWAYS leave them in the ignition, so Im thinking that the cop is going jump out of the woods and say "looking for these?". I get out my pen light, which basically was dead and gave almost no light, and look around the hubs, which I had since unlocked. Nothing. Look where I was sitting watching the blues. Nothing. I give up after about 20 minutes and decided to go look like a joke and ask the cop to borrow his flashlight to look for my keys. As I reach the head of the trail, he leaves. I go back to my truck, and notice that it is almost 10. I start to lock my car up and prepare for the 45 minute walk home. As I lock the passenger door, I happen to look in between the center console and the seat, adn see the tip of a key. I dive in there and come up with my keys. I was pumped, needless to say. I got in, fired it up and decided to get the heck outta there. As I am leaving the trail, I keep my light off just in case. I pull up almost to the end, and I see the dome light of a car. The cop had come back. I backed up the same way I did before, and decided to rally around a field nearby. I kept to the edges, and took off as fast as I could. I managed to make it home, where all my buddies were waiting for me. I had a great story to tell them.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER