Author Topic: Toyota Newbe needs help  (Read 3420 times)

Flagstaffoffroad

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jan '06
  • 4X4 & Crawling till we drop
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
Toyota Newbe needs help
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »
First of all hello to all here, i am a Toyota newbe always had / have big V8 vehicles, but now i want to build my 81 toy truck for off road / crawler only.
I bought 2 1981 trucks for the price of one, both run but one has water in the oil so not sure whats wrong with it yet, but it has a weber carb and headers with a nice exhaust on it and 30-9.50-15 almost new mudders on it.
So here is what i need help with.
1. What changes to make first with a low budget ? { just build a 4X4 Trans Am and a 72 Chevy BIG Block truck, so i am a bit short on cash right now.
2. What all can you do/use with/from the second truck parts ?
3. As i said idont want to drive the truck on the street i have a tow bar for it and going to tow it with my 4x4 Trans Am to where ever i want to go play in the dirt, which brings the next question once modified how will it tow on a tow bar ?

Already thanks for all your help, and if you like you can look at some of pictures from our small offroad group here in Flagstaff and pictures from of the unique offroad vehicles we have.
http://www.flagstaffoffroad.com
Someone throws rocks in your path ? Thank him and Build A Crawler.

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: Toyota Newbe needs help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 11:03:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Im my opinion, I would purchase a set of lockers for the front and rear of the truck. I have an Aussie locker, and have had no problems with them, and niehter has anyone else. Check them out at www.offroadlockers.com . Lockers are something essential to every build, and will never have to be upgraded once you get bigger and better parts. You can pick up front and rear lockers for under $500 shipped, and they are pretty easy to install. I have seen a locked truck with 31 inch all terrains go places and make ruts that an open differential truck with 35's couldnt go and get stuck in the ruts. Best bang for buck in my opinion.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:19:58 PM »
if you want even more bang for you buck just weld the rearend up i wouldent recomend welding the front untell you get some better birfs like a set of longs or if you dont like the front to push realy bad

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:18:15 PM »
I just noticed that one of the trucks is 3 inches higher in front the the other, the higher truck has 3 leafsprings they are about 46 inches long with the truck sitting on them, any clue what kind of springs that could be ?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2006, 06:36:55 PM »
probably stock rears,  does the front axle look a little more foreward than the other truck

yea weld the rear,   dont bother to regear just get a MC-07 from Marlin and run dual cases
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:06:30 PM »
Thanks for all the help so far, i will check tomorrow about the front springs again.
I am going to order a U Bolt reversal kit so when i change the front springs its already done.
What about the stabilizer, keep it, get rid of it ?

There is also some kind of linkage on the rear axle going to somekind of brake valve ? whats the deal with that ?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »
its a brake proportioning valve or LPSV (load proportion sensing valve). it senses how much weight is in the rear and adjusts braking proportions f/r. cool huh? if you lift the truck you will have to put on a little bracket that raises it up.  Good lift kits will come with it or you can easily fab one. Or there are ways to eliminate it if you want.  Might be a good idea to have for a DD though   ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2006, 08:20:35 PM by Dirtoyboy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2006, 09:00:41 PM »
Welcome.  You don't really mention what your ultimate goal is for the truck, beit rock crawling, prerunning or all around off road.  If you're only doing slow stuff like rock crawling you might be able to get away without your stabilizer, but if it will see any kind of speed off road then run it.  I agree about welding the rear, if you're only using it off road then it's the best way to go.  As far as spacing up the lpsv all you need is a piece of flat stock with the holes drilled up the same distance as your lift, ie: 4" higher for 4" lift, and about a 3 degree bend.  It's really tough to give you good advice on what to do without knowing your intentions though, so maybe mull it over a little and post up what you think you wanna do.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 07:16:46 AM »
The truck is for off road and crawling nothing fast at all just want to go where ever i can with it.
And sorry about the stabilizer, i meant the sway bar.

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:20:11 PM »
I also just noticed that one truck is a long bed the other a short bed what do you think works better for slow off road crawling application ?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »
They both have advantages and disadvantages.  Longer wheelbase=worry less about rolling end over end, can high center more often, longer turning radius.  Shorter wheelbase= less high center, less stable on severe incline/decline, better radius. sway bars suck ass. :gap:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Hey Welcome to the board!
Are you going to run the truck on mud? or soley on trails and rocks?
Wheelbase has bearing on both traction and stability. As dirtoyboy said each will have its pros/cons. If you have a LWB, you can always bob its if its too long.
I have a welded rear, and its really strong. Also I have gobs of traction.... enough to keep up with my 4x4 friends. If you are on a budget I would weld the rear. its the best solution for the money.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:28:33 PM »
throw the sway bar in the trash and never look back 
  you WANT sway  :yupyup:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »
what about suspension ? what can i do to get lots of travel cheap ? and when or after what changes do i need to have High Steer Crossover Steering ?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 09:52:22 PM »
Wow, you have a lot of questions.
Here is all of your answers: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173918

And here are some projects that you can get ideas from for your build: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399607

And here are some pictures of finished Toyotas to fill your head with: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144215

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2006, 10:07:09 PM »
thank you so much, my dad always said "if you dont ask you dont get a answer" and the reason i ask a lot is i want to do this righrt and learn as much as i can about toyota 4x4's this is my first one ever, before i always build V8 monsters mainly for show and fast off road, this is my first crawler type i build except the RC one i have and build with 4 link suspension.
Anyway, thank you all for your help so far and i hope we will  meet soon on the trails.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:55:54 AM »
what about suspension ? what can i do to get lots of travel cheap ? and when or after what changes do i need to have High Steer Crossover Steering ?
if on the cheap  i highly recommend homebrew springs,    look at me "Glen's budget rebuild"   page 6 i have pics of my home made toy/chevy springs   i have about 14 inches of flex  but i could get more with proper shocks

Flagstaffoffroad [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
    • Flagstaff Off Road
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:38:12 PM »
thanks again for all the help and those great links, i will keep quiet for a while now, have to read a lot, need to start rounding up parts and start working on my "TOY"

But one more question before i go "lol" i read the post about the chevy springs and adding the chevy shackles to the toyota shackles as a double shackle set up, now the question, will the double shackle set up flip forward ? and all bet to heck or how can one prevent it from happening ?

_HOIST_

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 300
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2006, 08:41:19 PM »
Put rears up front, you will be pleased with the height and flex for how cheap it is. Make or find some extended shakles, also a cheap flex/height mod. If you are really on the low financial side of things finance some tires at a tire shop and wheel it with these three mods. I guarantee you will have fun and get all kinds of new plans or ideas for your yoter.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:09:06 PM »
Search $300 started by WhiteTrash.
Sound's like a good start! Build the shortbed, they're awesome.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

la bomba

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -47
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2006, 12:38:59 AM »
I have an Aussie locker, and have had no problems with them, and niehter has anyone else.

Sorry to hijack, but do the Aussie's still produce noise like crazy?  I'm contemplating a set...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2006, 01:25:26 AM »
Sorry to hijack, but do the Aussie's still produce noise like crazy? I'm contemplating a set...
from what i have heard no