Author Topic: Beadlock suggestions...  (Read 3469 times)

Reynolds

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 491
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Beadlock suggestions...
« on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
Once I get a job sometime soon, I'd like to buy some beadlocks for my truck. Here is the situation, right now I am running 15x10 steelies with 2.5" backspacing (reversed center). From all the stories I've read, putting beadlocks on reverse center wheels is completely pointless since the tire usually de-beads on the side with the drop center closest to it. 15x10's are out of the question as I don't want a wider wheel than I have now but I'd still like to keep the overall width close to the same. I believe the only 15x8's that don't have a reverse center have like 3.5" backspacing and that would put me way skinnier than I am now (which I don't want). 15x10's with 3.5" backspacing would work but then it would make the wheel like a 15x11 and stick the beadlock bolts out farther. Which do I sacrifice? Too wide a wheel or too skinny of a outside of tire to outside of tire width?
-Brian

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Beadlock suggestions...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2006, 03:39:16 PM »
Once I get a job sometime soon, I'd like to buy some beadlocks for my truck. Here is the situation, right now I am running 15x10 steelies with 2.5" backspacing (reversed center). From all the stories I've read, putting beadlocks on reverse center wheels is completely pointless since the tire usually de-beads on the side with the drop center closest to it. 15x10's are out of the question as I don't want a wider wheel than I have now but I'd still like to keep the overall width close to the same. I believe the only 15x8's that don't have a reverse center have like 3.5" backspacing and that would put me way skinnier than I am now (which I don't want). 15x10's with 3.5" backspacing would work but then it would make the wheel like a 15x11 and stick the beadlock bolts out farther. Which do I sacrifice? Too wide a wheel or too skinny of a outside of tire to outside of tire width?

You have to choose btween locks and a revers wheel. but you could use the 3.5" back space wheel and get some spacers. it work well.

Wayne

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:25:45 PM »
Ok, could someone talk to me about what a reverse wheel is?

Like for instance on Rockstomper.com it says:
"Beadlocks require that the tire be mounted over the outer bead. On certain brands and sizes of reversed wheels, combined with certain brands and sizes of tires, this can be difficult. Please verify that your wheels are mountable in this manner prior to welding beadlocks onto them."

What is a reversed wheel??

I am planning on getting some new 15x8" wheels with a 2.5" BS, and I will run 37x15x12.50 MTRs. It seems you guys are talking about backspacing is relation to a reversed center? How does that relate to how difficult it is to mount a wheel? :headscratch: I know that the mounting point is moved deeper into the tire (less backspacing) but I wouldn't call that a "reversed wheel." A reversed wheel to me sounds like you just took a regular 3.5" BS wheel and reversed the wheel around (flipped it around) and are mounting it on backwards trying to get less BS.

Also generalee7, are you saying that for instance if I used a wheel with like a 1" or 0" BS, then the odds of loosing the inner bead would be Greatly increased?

:help: someone? :wave:

Thanks
Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:38:51 PM »
Reverse wheel is when they take a wheel, cut the center out, weld a new center in but on the other side.  that is how they can get the 2 1/2 in bs.  If they tried to just cut the center out of a regular wheel and weld it back in say 1 1/4 inches inward it wouldn't work.  hopefully you get what i am saying.

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2006, 04:47:32 PM »
Mike

If you lay a regular wheel flat on a table and look at it from the side you will see that the recess that the bead drops into in order to have it fit over the outside of the rim is near the top of the wheel or the side that faces out. this is a regular wheel and the way most wheels are made. If you look at a Reverse center wheel the beard recess is now closer to the bottom or the car side of the wheel and that means the recess would have to be deeper to let the bead slip over the rim on the outside of the rim. Contrary to popular beleif the bead will never stretch without damaging the tire. it is this recess that allows the bead to go over the rim. this is why reverse center wheels are not good for DIY bead locks. We usually just put a reverse wheel in the machine upside down and mout it that way.

Hope this helps
wayne

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
So if I did DYI beadlock a set of reverse wheels, and mounted the tires from the backside (if I could), then would I start blowing the inner bead?

So what you are basically saying is that if I wanted to get some wheels that had like a 2.5" BS then I might not be able to DYI beadlock them, correct?

Man this really sucks................ I've gotta find a way around this. I really want 2.5" or even 2" BS wheels. I might be able to settle for 3" BS but I wanted less than that.

cruzila

• Go go cruzila!
  • Hawk
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,848
  • Member since May '02
  • MC20/21 Toybox #002 2.28 = 154:1
    • View Profile
    • MTA
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2006, 07:27:16 PM »
Of course you can BigMike. You just have to be extra careful to push the tire down into the recess of the wheel to get the bead to slide on. The normal way is the easiest but that is not say it is undoable the other. Go for the 2 backspace, but IMO I got those and would take the regular 10's back. It is too unstable onroad. You could order 15x10 with say a 3" backspace. As long as they are doing a custom deal on a new wheel the number does not matter.

If you really want I'll sell you my 8's with 2.5 back. I want to go back to 10's
If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Friends of Eldorado National Forest

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2006, 10:25:04 PM »
So if I did DYI beadlock a set of reverse wheels, and mounted the tires from the backside (if I could), then would I start blowing the inner bead?

So what you are basically saying is that if I wanted to get some wheels that had like a 2.5" BS then I might not be able to DYI beadlock them, correct?

Man this really sucks................ I've gotta find a way around this. I really want 2.5" or even 2" BS wheels. I might be able to settle for 3" BS but I wanted less than that.

Mike
You can do DIY locks on reverse wheels as long as the bead ring is deep enough. I have a spec sheet some where that gives the dimensions and I think I have some notes on which Manuf reverse wheels will work. I will try to find it.

tires can be Horsed on some reverse wheels but you have to be carful not to damage the bead. Beads do not stretch and if the measurment is not right you will damage the tire.

Wayne

Reynolds [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2006, 10:58:33 PM »
Mike
You can do DIY locks on reverse wheels as long as the bead ring is deep enough. I have a spec sheet some where that gives the dimensions and I think I have some notes on which Manuf reverse wheels will work. I will try to find it.

tires can be Horsed on some reverse wheels but you have to be carful not to damage the bead. Beads do not stretch and if the measurment is not right you will damage the tire.

Wayne

I read on Pirate there was a guy who tore the SHIAT out of his tire trying to get it on the wheel. I would MUCH rather just get some regular center wheels and never worry about them again.

I'm in the same boat as you BigMike :)
-Brian

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:07:55 AM »
If you really want I'll sell you my 8's with 2.5 back. I want to go back to 10's

Scott, this is exactly what I am looking for. 15x8 with 2.5 bs. I will be calling you as soon as I get back to America. I will also be bringing a special little toy along with me for you! Got any color in mind? :eyebrow:

Zuk, thanks for the help. If you could find that chart when ever you get some free time (as if that really exists ::)) then it would be much appriciated :beerchug:

Reynolds [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2006, 12:08:59 PM »
Scott, this is exactly what I am looking for. 15x8 with 2.5 bs. I will be calling you as soon as I get back to America. I will also be bringing a special little toy along with me for you! Got any color in mind? :eyebrow:

Zuk, thanks for the help. If you could find that chart when ever you get some free time (as if that really exists ::)) then it would be much appriciated :beerchug:

Will you be putting beadlocks on the 15x8's with 2.5" BS?
-Brian

RAZOR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 143
  • Member since Oct '05
  • It's all about the LongFields
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2006, 08:46:12 AM »
1 Year Plus Experience with Tires and wheels here (work at a tire shop)...   Last night actually, My buddy just got done welding some beadlocks on to his 10" wheels with 2" backspacing. ( reverse MOunt wheel)  IT not happening. We tried every machine, tire IRon and we could not get them on there.  Reason being...  You can't get the top bead over the rim. You can put a tire on there from the back side of the wheel and air it up like normal. But if you think your going to get that top bead of the tire over the top for beadlocks on a reverse mount rim. Think again.  :twocents:

So in conclusion, If you have a reverse mount wheel, and beadlocks, Chances are you are not going to get the tire over the top of the rim. :twocents:

And we were trying this with 35 14.50 15 boggers. :twocents:

You might be able to get a 15x12 wheel with 2in backspacing. Be cause there, you might be wide enough so that it is not a reverse mount wheel.  :dunno:
Finally Straight Axled, e-Locker, 5.29's, Lockright Rear, 13" travel tractor spline driveshaft, CV eliminator, Fully Gusseted front axle, Marlins almighty 5" Trail Flex lift Kit, 36" TSL's

In Marlin Crawler, I trust.
If you got the Nuts, Follow my Ruts!
Lift It, Fat Chicks Can't Jump!
Motocross, Because it Requires 2!

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2006, 09:01:29 AM »
1 Year Plus Experience with Tires and wheels here (work at a tire shop)...   Last night actually, My buddy just got done welding some beadlocks on to his 10" wheels with 2" backspacing. ( reverse MOunt wheel)  IT not happening. We tried every machine, tire IRon and we could not get them on there.  Reason being...  You can't get the top bead over the rim. You can put a tire on there from the back side of the wheel and air it up like normal. But if you think your going to get that top bead of the tire over the top for beadlocks on a reverse mount rim. Think again.  :twocents:

So in conclusion, If you have a reverse mount wheel, and beadlocks, Chances are you are not going to get the tire over the top of the rim. :twocents:

And we were trying this with 35 14.50 15 boggers. :twocents:

You might be able to get a 15x12 wheel with 2in backspacing. Be cause there, you might be wide enough so that it is not a reverse mount wheel.  :dunno:

I have found a way to do it. I was making a spare out of a wheel I had laying around. it was reverse center so I knew I had to do something different. after several different Ideas were shot down by the all mighty tape measure it hit me. I chucked the wheel into the brake lathe and cut the outer lip off and part of the existing seat till the measurement from the Bead relief to the edge of the inner lock ring was the same as the back side. I tacked in place and threw an old tire on there. worked like a charm. This takes some special tools but does make it possible to have DIY locks on reverse center wheels.

hope this helps.

Wayne