Author Topic: Weird Phone Call  (Read 2266 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Weird Phone Call
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:29:49 AM »
I use Nextel, and I got a call today.

The user ID said only Incoming Call, which happens sometimes when my cousin calls from her office, when I answered it it was not clear reception so I couldn't hear what they said at first, it was obvious it was recorded, but all I got was... crackle crackle "..... calling to valid your number, thank you for your time" and that was it.

Has anyone gotten anything like this?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Weird Phone Call
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »
I use Nextel, and I got a call today.

The user ID said only Incoming Call, which happens sometimes when my cousin calls from her office, when I answered it it was not clear reception so I couldn't hear what they said at first, it was obvious it was recorded, but all I got was... crackle crackle "..... calling to valid your number, thank you for your time" and that was it.

Has anyone gotten anything like this?

:pokinit: I'd contact Nextel, smells fishy to me.
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006, 11:27:59 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:18:08 AM »
I'm going to do that. That was weird.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:21:32 AM »
A was in my Red Yoat one day and got a call from a "Rusty Nail" style voice and it said, "I see you in your red toyota four-wheel drive..." Then they hung up. That was pretty weird, but I am sure this instance is unrelated to yours.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
A was in my Red Yoat one day and got a call from a "Rusty Nail" style voice and it said, "I see you in your red toyota four-wheel drive..." Then they hung up. That was pretty weird, but I am sure this instance is unrelated to yours.

Um, your cell number is in your sig line. ::)

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:31:41 AM »
Doh! Someone got me good then! I bet it was Minisimp...hmmm, maybe it was Hyena playing around....  One will never know....
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:33:44 AM »
Um, your cell number is in your sig line. ::)

yeah... lol

mwm, almost sounds like a phishing email scam.......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:43:56 AM »
well that was what I was thinking, like a telemarketer validating the numbers it has on it's list is valid. OR.... a text message spammer! :yikes:  I've never had text spams, I hope that's not it!

Where is the Mammoth?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:51:36 AM »
well that was what I was thinking, like a telemarketer validating the numbers it has on it's list is valid. OR.... a text message spammer! :yikes: I've never had text spams, I hope that's not it!

i got a text spam the other day...... it was a chain letter, said you will wake up in the morning with a great life if you send this message to 15 people in the next 20 minutes..... i was like great.....

it was from a number that had called me a ew days before with the wrong number, someone named jamika trying to "text her cuz"

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »
Diane, I think I've got a call like that before but it was on a landline.  Just verifying yer number for some stoopid sweepstakes or something... that's all mine was.  So when you start gettin calls for "you've won this" or "you're invited.." tell em to take yer number off their list :thumbs:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:15:30 PM »
Telemarketers can't call a cell phone, not that they won't try, but when we did have a land line that is what we did. We did not get a lot of telemarketing calls.
I don't enter sweepstakes so it can't be that. Although I have had our local newspaper calling trying to get me, they always want to offer me a "free bonus offer" and I have told them time and time again, that I do not want any solicitation calls so I have stopped answering their calls, but I can see when it is them calling.
We'll see what happens.

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2006, 12:18:32 PM »
Gotchya...  :thumbs:   :beerwhack: 
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:18:59 PM »
Our local newspaper had a writeup that they were going to be doing a 911 reverse call!  And to expect a call from a 911 dispathcer to call that day just to verify things!  If anybody doesn't want telemarketers calling including cell phones to go to www.donotcall.gov and have your phone #'s blocked for five years!  I haven't had any call except for the companies that I deal with, phone, credit card co. and etc. that are always calling to "To upgrade my account or change things" but I've told them all to not call me with anything unless it's an emergency!  And it works!  Haven't had any telemarketers call once! 

The weirdest call I've ever had was a call from "Tonya" that for some reason is placing a collect call from a Idaho jail, And for some reason she knew me, my name, we went to school together and to accept the long distance charges.  First of all I only knew one "Tonya" and she worked at a 911 dispatch office in Albany, OR.  not Idaho!   But there was a rash of these calls at that time, it was some type of scam!

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:24:56 PM »
just a sidenote, if a telemarketer calls you, and you are on the list, they can be fined some big $$ for callin you.  My cel phone is not on the do not call list, but I'll start out, " I'm not intrested in what you're offering and I'm bnot sure why you're calling, this number is on the do not call list"  I usually get to the "not" and they hang up :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:10:12 AM »
:pokinit: I'd contact Nextel, smells fishy to me.
yeah me 2

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:20:22 AM »
i got a wierd phonecall today..... it was a prerecorded message... in spanish! said blah blah metropcs blah blah blah blah blah

not really blah blah, but i have no idea what they were saying, did say metropcs and that is my service provider though.....

the call was from 305 371 7266

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2006, 12:27:57 AM »
i jsut tried callign the number back... blocked my number of course with *67 and it jsut keeps ringing......

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:24:12 AM »
Telemarketers can't call a cell phone, not that they won't try, but when we did have a land line that is what we did. We did not get a lot of telemarketing calls.
I don't enter sweepstakes so it can't be that. Although I have had our local newspaper calling trying to get me, they always want to offer me a "free bonus offer" and I have told them time and time again, that I do not want any solicitation calls so I have stopped answering their calls, but I can see when it is them calling.
We'll see what happens.

....and why can't they call a cell phone?

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:29:32 AM »
I've gotten some weird ones on my cell phone. I got one from some random business. It was pre-recorded and I couldnt hear a word of it and I had full reception. Looked up the number in the yellow pages and it was some carpet cleaning service, so yeah they can call a cell phone.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2006, 01:46:15 AM »
telemarketers can and do call cellphones.... the issue wit hthat becomes they usually dont because cellphone numbers arent as easy to find as someone land line #

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2006, 02:48:05 PM »
As of January 1st, all cell phone #'s have been released.  Beacause alot of people are eliminating landline phones!  It was in all the papers and news reports!    I get phone calls for a company in The Dalles, Oregon, because assholes can't figure out that the area code they need is 541 not 503.  I would actually get pissy with them, and say that the company went bankrupt, and when people would call in to what time they work I would give them a strange time to show up!  And then there was the 1992 ford F250 that I was supposedly selling, I would tell them to meet me at Denny's at 5:00 pm and I'll be there with the rig!  This was all fun for me until the secretary dialed my number by accident and we got into it on the phone and in the end, she got things resolved!  And all of this was on my cell phone, I'm glad I don't use all my minutes! :beerchug:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen