Author Topic: DIY Beadlocks  (Read 25760 times)

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
Re: DIY Beadlocks
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:15:45 PM »
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/accessories.htm

KWP, they're half way down the page :thumbs:
Thanks man, :thumbs:  I guess I didn't look hard enouph
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

1Bad4Runner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 609
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »
No problem, I deal with Sky's quite often... they're site is very simple to find things :thumbs:
89' 4Runner || Everythings Gone!! for now.
97' 4Runner, 2.7, Auto - Daily Driver

tj40ounce

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -262
  • Male Posts: 63
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:18:25 PM »
yes I have screwed up a set of wheels. they don't work unless the bead ring is really small. If you have to put the tire on from the rear of the wheel then you can't bead lock em unless you wanna have the lock on the inside. if you can mount the tire from the front then it can be bead locked.

HTH
Wayne

I have read somewhere that it is doable, but you need to use a different type of inner ring...  Oh well.. Not really needing them except they are bada$$

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:43:31 AM »
I have read somewhere that it is doable, but you need to use a different type of inner ring... Oh well.. Not really needing them except they are bada$$

Yeah you could use a smaller inner ring and cut off the stock lip like in the pics that were posted earlier. But it is hard to get thing straight that way. It can be done at home but it is not weekend deal. I would do it if I had a used beat set of revearse wheels and some time but I would not start out that way.

Good luck
 Wayne

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #34 on: Jun 16, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »
I found this great illustration for Reversed Wheels. It still seems that there is a lip there for a DIY bead lock like what KYOTA did. Right? So what's the deal with not being able to DIY beadlock a reverse wheel? I guess some wheels can and some wheels can not...

Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #35 on: Jun 16, 2006, 10:42:44 AM »
Welding the ring on isn't the problem, you won't be able to get the tire onto the rim and over the front lip to lock it.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 16, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
another thing Mike on a reversed wheel, the safety bead is now on the outside, (the long flat 'shelf' the bead sits on) so loosing inner beads becomes a big problem. Locking reversed wheels is kinda pointless.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 16, 2006, 11:37:56 AM »
O I C.
« Last Edit: Jun 17, 2006, 10:40:54 PM by BigMike »

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 17, 2006, 10:19:01 PM »
Wouldn't that be a rough hit if you had 1 or 2 psi and you came off a rock, then it would compress the 1-2psi and then boom! hit the 48psi rock hard inner tube..
That's valid, but unless you got really stiff sidewalls with conventional beadlocks youll still be feeling the rim smack down wouldnt you?
'82 on 35's, not much else.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 17, 2006, 10:38:42 PM »
That's valid, but unless you got really stiff sidewalls with conventional beadlocks youll still be feeling the rim smack down wouldnt you?
Yes, however there would be another 2 or 3 inches of compression required to bottom out with conventional beadlocks, or whatever thickness the Saturn ring is when inflated.

The Saturn system does seem like a good idea and its cool to see people thinking out side of the bun.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jun 18, 2006, 12:52:02 AM »
Good point, and I agree it's always nice to see some innovation.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jun 19, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »
I was thinking of getting some for offroad overstock. they look awesome and cheep 229.00  :thumbs: you just need to buy bolts, nuts, and washers. It dose not say if it is 1/4" steel or not but i did just email them to find out, i would asume becase it sits down in the bead but we'll find out. What do yall think?  http://www.offroadoverstock.com/store.cfm?page=details.cfm&afid=&cat=0&criteria=7000&product_id=15-weldon-bl&cartaction=none&startrow=1&var1=&var2=&var3=&
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2006, 09:41:28 AM by 854RUN »
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 19, 2006, 02:51:36 PM »
Yes, however there would be another 2 or 3 inches of compression required to bottom out with conventional beadlocks, or whatever thickness the Saturn ring is when inflated.

The Saturn system does seem like a good idea and its cool to see people thinking out side of the bun.

Here is some pictures of the Staun bead locks. You can see where the inner liner is with the tire pulled down in a vacuum.

That's just enough to help protect the sidewall from being pinched on the rim and give some cush to keep from damaging the wheel from banging against the rocks.

I haven't had the chance to air them down, so I can't comment on how they work.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun 19, 2006, 05:11:06 PM »
This is what I have working for my truck....

I spaced off taking a picture of the next step, but I sanded the paint off the inner lip. Then I went to Harbor Freight and got a bunch of 2 inch C clamps to fully seat the rings on the wheel.
I bought the kit on E-Bay from www.alchemymetalwerks.com (I don’t think his site is up yet) His e-mail address is dave@alchemymetalwerks.com or alchemymetal@earthlink.net . The auction was for 4 sets… so I bought them directly from him. I think it was $64 a piece for 5 sets. They’re made from (pretty much the standard) ¼ inch plate, 32 3/8 bolts with lock nuts.

Anyway, before I could begin welding, I had to come up with a way to jig up the wheels. I made an easy little jig from spares I had around the garage.

An old rear axle, OEM spare tire, unused IFS caliper assy and a Warn solid axle hub.  The Warn hub is a 30 spline, so it just dropped on the old axle…as long as you don’t lock the hub it spins freely.

The inner ring is made to fit a lot tighter than other kits I’ve seen. Dave suggested using 1/16 TIG filler rod to evenly space the ring on the wheel.

I ground off a little bevel around the edge of the inner ring, then I ran the filler into the gap. I tacked the ring to the wheel in a few places, making sure the filler was sitting deep in the pocket. Then I ground down the tacks so I wouldn’t get a bump when I welded over them.

Then using my trusty Quik-Grip clamp as a steady I held the MIG gun in one hand and turned the assy with the other.

Resulting in a pretty fair bead with good penetration!

I only completed 2 wheels, the rest are tacked and ready to go. I was a bit windy (you might be able to tell in the tack weld photo) and it was blowing the gas away. All in all I’m pretty happy.

Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jun 19, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »
I am trying to figure out how that is going to work if you still have the outer lip still on the wheel.

Does the tire get clamped between the ring you welded on and another ring that bolts to it. Assuming the tire does not go all the way back on the wheel.

???

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jun 19, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »
I am trying to figure out how that is going to work if you still have the outer lip still on the wheel.

Does the tire get clamped between the ring you welded on and another ring that bolts to it. Assuming the tire does not go all the way back on the wheel.

???

Yeah, it mounts as you would any tire...except you only mount the inside bead, clamp the outer bead between the two rings then air it up which seats the inner bead.

Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jun 19, 2006, 06:23:55 PM »
AHH, Does the bolt on ring have a shoulder for the bead?

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jun 19, 2006, 06:33:44 PM »
AHH, Does the bolt on ring have a shoulder for the bead?

No...I've been thinkin' about rolling some 1/2 inch strap and making a ring to prevent coning and to center the tire.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #48 on: Jun 24, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »
basicly the tire sits on the ring that´s weldet to the rim. Then The other rings are bolted to gether = the tire bolts on the outside of the rim. I had a picture somewhere. I´ll try to find it
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:11:25 PM »
So on the inner bead it's just the safety "shelf" or whatever that prevents you from losing inner beads?  Is it pretty uncommon to lose inner beads?  Even at sub 5psi?

I've always wondered about that.  I have a perfect set of candidate wheels for this if it will work good.

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #50 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:59:56 PM »
I am gonna Need to to this before the winter.... I am not worried about loosing the inner bead that doesn´t happen that often (we also use silicone or some other glue to keep the bead on the rim).

I basicly want that bead lock cause with air around 3 psi in the tires the rims often turn inside the tires (rough contitions)
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arb´s  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs