Author Topic: Locker front or back  (Read 2724 times)

crx-si

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Locker front or back
« on: Jan 07, 2006, 12:29:04 PM »
Thinkin about gettin a lockrite locker for my 85 pickup and was wondering where to put it, in the front or back.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Locker front or back
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2006, 12:35:08 PM »
What about aussie lockers? I just saw a thread about them, http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=16248.from1136664701;topicseen#msg206338  Better than a Lock Right? (or lock wrong as some people call them) :)
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »
Some may argu but you should lock the rear first and then the front, the lock right is an ok cheap locker.  If you want to go with more reliability and better performance spend an extra $100 and get an Aussie locker.
 Definatley start with the rear first you dont want the front doing all the work.

Or you could always weld the rear and aussie the front and never look back :yupyup:

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:16:40 PM »
Thinkin about gettin a lockrite locker for my 85 pickup and was wondering where to put it, in the front or back.
most will tell you rear, but think baout it logically, if you put it in the front-its the first axle to meet an obsticle,there is far mose weight on the front axle, more traction,and it will be un-noticable in 2wd on the road.but it will have and effect on steering off road and will put more stress on front axle parts then if you put it in the rear. :thumbs:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »
Get an Aussie Locker and put it in the rear.  I think it will have less of an impact on daily driving because it unlocks easier and possibly makes less noise.

A locker in the front with stock birfields and axles will greatly increase the chances of getting to do a trail fix.  Also, from my experience, Toyota trucks tend to lift rear wheels off road more than they do the fronts which makes a rear locker essential.  Jeeps seems to lift the front wheels more so it might make sense for a front locker first in that case. 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

crx-si [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2006, 05:55:57 PM »
Still thinkin about puttin it in the front i won't have to be using it all the time and the most weight is in the front.
Seems logical to me any more opinions.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
What tires are you running?

Do have lower gears?

crx-si [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2006, 06:12:52 PM »
Just runnin stock 410's with a set of 33 mt's

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2006, 06:19:44 PM »
Here is the bottom line...

An open differential provides some traction as long as both tires are on the ground, and will provide zero traction when one tire is in the air.  A locker will help most when it is used on the axle that spends the most time in the air.  If you put a locker in the front and you pick up a rer tire, you have just created a fwd truck, and we that would create a ton of unneeded stress in the front end.  Plus, the steeper the trail, the more weight that shifts to the back.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2006, 06:54:13 PM »
^^^^What he said^^^

less traction in the rear, right?

so locker in the rear, right? :chicken:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:57:21 PM »
Lock the rear.   It's alot cleaner to dig into and won't affect the steering as much when in 4wd.  Everyone I know where with a front locker where I live has broken a front birfield.
Wait on the front till you can upgrade the birfields.
Also, if running the stock push pull steering, some believe the added stress of a front locker shortens the life of the J-arm.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:41:38 AM »
lock the rear. mine is locked all the time and its a daily as well as toy. It drives great on and off road. on the trail your rear axle will prolly be the one on the ground mostly so Id rather have traction in the stronger axle on the ground.
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2006, 09:51:25 AM »
Lock the rear and either leave the front open, limited-slip or if you must lock the front be gentle on it. If you don't replace the birfs with Longs or something similar and hammer your rig it is only 1 rock away from exploding. I have never (except in my Sammi) locked a birfield equiped truck. Stock birfs are fine as long as you keep the load centered on them, that means don't turn the wheel till it locks and stab the skinny pedal.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you