Author Topic: Anybody ever run detroit front and back?  (Read 1920 times)

mcg_916

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Anybody ever run detroit front and back?
« on: Nov 18, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
i just recently got a detroit in my rear axle and i am considering getting another for the front, has anybody ever done this before? and if so did you like it? i have read that it makes it difficult to turn but i am nothing short of amazed by the performance of my rear locker so i am seriously considering it

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Anybody ever run detroit front and back?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2006, 06:40:48 PM »
if you blow a birf  with a detroit  then  you just  bought a $500  paperweight
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2006, 06:41:48 PM »
i just recently got a detroit in my rear axle and i am considering getting another for the front, has anybody ever done this before? and if so did you like it? i have read that it makes it difficult to turn but i am nothing short of amazed by the performance of my rear locker so i am seriously considering it
go with an elocker or arb. something selectable. Even an aussie or ez lock which can unlock when turning. Do you do alot of side hilling or tight, tight trails? if so, then a detroit may not be the best option for the front. I have one in the rear but would never consider one in the front
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2006, 10:41:22 PM »
don't spend the money for a detriot in the front.  if you aren't running longfields 30 spline stuff then you will break a birfield or inner axle and it WILL detroy the detriot.  trust me on this as it happened to me.  do as they said an get either an aussie, arb, or electric locker.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2006, 07:22:28 AM »
I run welded front and rear and cant wait to go selectable up front.  Its a bear to turn.  Before I put power steering in the truck the passenger would have to help turn the truck and I am 6'4 and 260 lbs not a small guy.  Now that I have power steering it is easier but selectable is the way to go! Right now allot of times I only run one hub locked until I get to a obstacle where I need both hubs.

mcg_916 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2006, 09:53:48 AM »
so i guess its a bad idea  :smack: thanks for all the input guys, im glad i decided to ask first  :thumbs:

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2006, 10:59:09 AM »
if you blow a birf  with a detroit  then  you just  bought a $500  paperweight
i have broken atleast six birfs with my detroit and it is still working great.. detroit in the front is fine as long as you have longfields or alot of spare birfs.. imo my buddy just broke his quik lok and now he is putting a detroit in the front i haven't had any problems with either of mine
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »
Right now allot of times I only run one hub locked until I get to a obstacle where I need both hubs.
that doesnt sound like much fun :ack: I can see it.....stuck in 4 feet of mud, "honey, can u get out and lock the hub in again? Please?" :rofl:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2006, 02:12:03 PM »
Yeah it sucks!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »

I've never run a locker in a front Toyota diff, I've always run a limited-slip front and Detroit in the rear except in my IFS trucks then I'll run lockers front and rear...... actually I take that back, I have run a locker in the front of my Samurai's and never had any problem and a Sammi's front is even worse than a Toy's. I think it all depends on your driving style, if you are a hammerhead you'll blow up just about anything if you keep in mind the possibility of detonation you'll will stand a better chance of not distroying a birf and maybe even the locker since the force of what made the birf blow in the first place is immediatly transfered to the locker when you blow one up and that usually takes the locker out too. My goal is momentum not speed, and always try to start out with the tires as straight as possible which helps spread the load evenly throughout the birfs.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

tintop

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:26:18 AM »
I run a ARB locker in there rear, And locrite in the front.. :outtahere: