Should I build a Samuri or a toyota

Sammi
4 (13.8%)
Yota
24 (82.8%)
Something different
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Sammi Or Toyota  (Read 9220 times)

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Sammi Or Toyota
« on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:53:14 AM »
Hey guys. I am at a cross-roads right now. I could pick up an 85 Toyota pick-up or I could pick up a little Sammi. Which would you build. Which would be harder, cheaper, and which would wheel better? I am leaning towards toyota because the Sammi would most likely get a Toyota drivetrain swap anyways, but who knows. What do you guys think, and can I get some more background information on samuri's, like what they came with stock, reliability, places to get parts etc etc etc. Thank you once again!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
Re: Sammi Or Toyota
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:00:47 AM »
There is this little sami here for 1200 http://www.snort4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27981 That is local to me.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:53:19 AM »
I voted Toyota, but if you don' mind being on the edge of rolling more than in a Toyota the Sami is a fine choice. There are lots of people that love them, I hated my Sami, but then I was spoiled by starting out in a Toy.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:52:04 AM »
I feel the same, samurai's roll real easy.  But then that just makes you all the better driver so I guess its all personal prefrence.  I would stick with yota, but you could also build a sami with yota drive train, that would be sick.

dov'd85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -470
  • Male Posts: 348
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:00:52 AM »
come on man it's been like a month buy that damnn toyota already, you don't want a sami my buddy had 3 before he bought a toy and rolled them all.....
85 long bed: 30 spline long, hydro assist, hysteer, 223.1 twin sticks, 39.5 iroks, rear disk,
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=28696.msg344178#msg344178

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:05:44 PM »
the lies about a sammy rolling easy is Bull :pokinit:

i had my sammy for 3 years ,dad got it from a gut he worked with cause his son had blown the 1.3
i rebuilt it and never looked back,   i was 18 at the time  and drove it like i stole it,  i could put it on 2 wheels  if i tried hard but i never flipped it,  but the i aint never tried to make a u turn in my yota at 70 either

thats not a sponge between your ears  ::)

WA  i voted sammy
and FYI    a stock sammy has the exact measurements in proportion and a stock FJ40

same drivetrain arrangement,  wheelbase to width ratio, everything

they a basically a 60 % FJ40
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:17:24 PM »
Sami's are cool and my buddy could help me build an exo on it, he is good at building exo's. I will think about it. Toyotas are fun but how fun would it be wheeling something the size of a go-kart, and then driving it home! I still have some thinking to do. I don't want to jump into anything too fast. Usually if I jump into something too fast I regret it about a week later. The toyotas are definatley cool and so are Sami's. If I got a stock samuri how much would I expect to spend before I have a competent wheeler. I know toyotas arent bad out of the box either, just not very flexy.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:40:38 PM »
Do some research and talk to the folks over at Zuwharrie.com. They will probably give you a different response if you post your question on their site. :thumbs:
Here are my :twocents: as a former Sami owner. 1. If you decide to run a tire larger than 31" will need change out the axles (normally Toy or Waggys). 2. The wheelbase is a little short if you do much climbing. Wheelstands tend to be the norm. :o  3. If you do run a bigger tire, don't expect to make it to 55mph on the highway. A 1.3 is just that, a 1.3. :driving: On the other hand, the Sami is light and can take you some places a mid or full size rig can't. They are pretty cheap to get into and with a minimal amount of work will take you to a lot of places. And finally, you can spend more than  :twocents:  add a bunch of Toy parts, extend the wheelbase and swap the motor and do quite well.
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:47:21 PM »
I'm looking for something cheap to get into and that will take me places with minimal mods, I know both will do it. For some reason Sami's have more appeal to me than a Toyota, don't get me wrong I love toyota, but sami's are damn cool. Maybe I will get a sami and when more money starts coming in get a toy on the side.

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:35:28 PM »
I'm looking for something cheap to get into and that will take me places with minimal mods, I know both will do it. For some reason Sami's have more appeal to me than a Toyota, don't get me wrong I love toyota, but sami's are damn cool. Maybe I will get a sami and when more money starts coming in get a toy on the side.
Yes, the "do more with less" theme most Sami owners proclaim is appealing. :)  The most important thing is just that you get out there and wheel. When you are ready, move on to something else.  :driving:  The problem with the addiction is you will never be satisfied with what you have as it can always modified or improved upon.  :welcome: and empty your wallet at the door. :yupyup:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2006, 04:07:03 PM »
I think you will find that more people modify Toys so it would be easier to get support, spare parts, advice, etc. for them.  If you want to be different go with the Sami. You might have to do a little more to get it to the same state as a toy though.  Personally, I am building a toy but would like to have a Sami on the side one day.  Do whatever you want.  Don't take advice from others on what YOUR truck should be.  You'll know. :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

OldschoolJay

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:51:18 PM »
the lies about a sammy rolling easy is Bull :pokinit:

i had my sammy for 3 years ,dad got it from a gut he worked with cause his son had blown the 1.3
i rebuilt it and never looked back, i was 18 at the time and drove it like i stole it,  i could put it on 2 wheels  if i tried hard but i never flipped it,  but the i aint never tried to make a u turn in my yota at 70 either

thats not a sponge between your ears  ::)

WA  i voted sammy
and FYI    a stock sammy has the exact measurements in proportion and a stock FJ40

same drivetrain arrangement,  wheelbase to width ratio, everything

they a basically a 60 % FJ40

there talking about flops on the trail. not at the mall!

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2006, 08:53:18 PM »
Flops happen, I'm not scraed thats what exo's are for!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:26:33 PM »
just throw some 31s on the subie......

Well, it does seem to be the only vehicle he holds on to.....Lift the subaru!!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:29:33 PM »
my vote is throw a sammi body on a yota frame and running gear, weird and oh so functional

trekker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Aug '05
  • crawlin with marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:38:17 PM »
i have owned and wheeled a samurai twice i chose the toyota because it has more room inside and more comfortable when you have gear and other things i like both and would take either one but the samurai engine is very underpowered and i would put toyota axle's in it but its your choice and you will be happy with either one :beerchug:
I need a running 22r

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2006, 12:38:43 AM »
Well I dont have the need for another daily driver so being underpowered is no problem. I will have to think this over for a little while. Either way I'll be happy because I'll be on a trail again, it has been over 3 months now :down:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:09:18 AM »
 :imwithstupid: who cares what everyone else thinks......decide for YOURSELF what YOU want.  Get it done.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2006, 01:11:26 AM »
What are you talking about??? I sold my truck on 12/28. I was thinking before that wether or not I wanted to sell my truck, now I'm thinking about what to bu. Sorry if I like bouncing ideas off of people to see what they think.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:05:09 AM »
Whoa!  "Let's not start no Drama.....Drama Drama....No No want No Drama..No Drama Drama.

Hey wa4x4 I know how ya feel it is real hard to determine what you want with the vast selection out there.  It took a long time for me to get into Toyota's.
 I didn't want to for the longest time because every body around has one.
But I am glad i did, the components are tough, not to under powered and so many modifications are available and the use of other things is so diverse, like for example have you ever seen a samurai with Chevy springs, how many samurai's have you seen holding up to V8 power, I am not saying it hasn't been done and it is not possible it may just take better innovation and different mods to build it to be what you want.

Just get something man, I wouldn't mind wheeling with you regardless what you drive.

prang11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Team White Truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:43:12 AM »
Being a toyota fan since I started driving I am going to say toyota.  They have more options and support for mods, more people have them so there is more knowledge available and you wont have to deal with detachable or leather tops.  Unless you do a 4 runner of course.  It just seems the options for toyotas are far more than that of a samari.  Plus, if you buy a samari you will end up running toyota running gear in the long run.  From what I have read.   :qtip:   My  :twocents:
85 Toyota Pickup, with a sweet hurst shifter!

22R, 33s, 5.29, locked rear, 3" wider, slow.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:57:17 AM »
y'know, sammi's are cool, but seeing as I'm 6'6" I'm biased toward a bigger vehicle. A yota is about as small as I'll go.  I like the idea of having a bed, and not having to deal with a detachable top. Go with what you like, and buld the piss outta it :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:23:18 AM »
Well I have contacted the owner of that samurai in washington and might be looking at that one soon enough. I will see what happens with that. I will get something by mid-terms for sure. Until then, who knows. Either way I will be happy. Sometimes when I can't decide between 2 things I will just wait until it comes time to decide and just say the first thing that comes to my mind and not look back. Probably how this will happen. If I had to decide right now I would say Samurai.

Oregon Crawler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 26
  • Male Posts: 197
  • Member since Nov '05
  • GET IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2006, 02:53:57 AM »
I voted toyota, but in last month Peterson 4x4 mag, there was a special deal about big, foreign, wierd rides, and in one of them was this sick ass sami, that would dominate almost any toyota check it out. It's awesome, made me think twice about sami's
1992 yota truggy, 37" boggers, 7m-w56-duals, 85' front axle w/44 joints, 4 Link-coils in rear, marlin springs front, and ur mom in the passenger seat!!!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:04:31 AM »
Your talking about the one with Rockwells and Big Bogger's are you not.

Hell just go get the Sami we need to wheel :driving: , I will have my yota done in a month or two, also I have two friends with Samurai's and they would love it if you got one. :yupyup:

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2006, 03:07:49 AM »
I need to meet some local zook guys. Most likely they know the hookups on sammi's for sale, you mind askin them for me? A lot of my toyota buddies whenever I talk about buying another toyota they always know of at least 2 trucks that were unlisted anywhere for sale. Just a thought. Thanks in advance. It has been over 3 months since I have been wheeling  and around 2 since I have been at reiter on my ATV...I need to get busy!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:26:50 AM »
I know this is blasphemy to Toyota, but...I've always thought a cheap truck would be finding a beat up yj or tj 4 cyl with good drivetrain.  Ditch the body and replace it with a gutted trimmed sammi body.  Light load, small engine will keep the d30 from exploding.  Make sure you get one with the front axle disconect and do the cable conversion, then weld the front end.  Instantly locked and you can disconnect for easier turning.  weld the rear and run some q78 swampers on aluminum rims.  That will keep the unsprung weight down to go easy on the running gear.  After that anything else is gravy...go wheel!  :idea:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:28:58 AM »
D30 :reg: the sammi front axle is probably stronger.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:39:26 AM »
 :think: I just had a thought hit me, I have had a Sammi and have thoughts every now and then about getting another one. I also have an 11yr old son, everytime I suggest it he kicks me and chases me out of the house and won't let me back in until I come to my senses. :rofl2:

My thought is if an 11yr. old kid who has been wheelin' since he was 2mos. old and wants nothing to do with a certain vehicle and it is not based on any brand bias, is only from his experiences with that vehicle, has nothing to do with the cost of building it and from what he has witinessed other vehicles can do in comparision. I'm gonna listen to him, he is the one just standing there watching.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »
D30 :reg: the sammi front axle is probably stronger.

Under a sammi a D30 would hold 35's...as long as you don't try to destroy it.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0