Author Topic: Hydro Assist Progress  (Read 3081 times)

waskillywabbit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
Hydro Assist Progress
« on: Dec 04, 2005, 04:48:07 PM »
1985 4Runner
Redneck Ram 1.5" 6" stroke cylinder, heim ends, mounting tabs, fittings and hoses

New ps pump on the left, old on the right...you can see all the stuff that needs to be swapped over.

Power steering pulley, just slid right off w/ a little bit of pressure...nothing to it and no need for a puller.

Restrictor plate of the old ps pump on the left, new restrictor plate that has been drilled out 13/64" on the right.

The fittings that I was sent are on the right.  Those are compression fittings and made for a connection, not a tap, just an FYI, so I used ones like the one on the left.

Note: Drilled out 29/64" as that is the correct size for a 1/4" NPT tap.  7/16" will work, but if you are going to do it, do it correctly.

Here is the final fitment before plumbing...I got to get some new hoses to replace some of the OEM ones and some additional fittings.

More pics HERE

Several issues thus far...

#1. The suction port O-ring is either leaking or the actual suction hose...but since I just replaced the hose w/ a new one and this is the exact same spot the previous pump was leaking...leads me to believe it is the suction port O-ring.  That is an easy enough fix.

#2. Cavitation and whine...although this is w/o the ram installed as I am still short a few fittings as I thought the hoses had a male on one end and a female on the other end and they are both female.

Several tangents for resolution:
a. Add the ram and see if the added volume stops the cavitation and whine.  If not...
b. Swap out the drilled restrictor plate for the original one.  If not...
c. Switch to syn ATF at the advice of the FSM as 2/3 of my junk is still Toyota.  (I put in syn PS fluid at the recommendation of RR, but I've since found on another thread about the ATF, I had read that in the FSM before and should have known better) If not...
d. Get a bigger reservoir.

Something in that progression will hopefully get the cavitation and whine gone.  I imagine it is simply the ps pump restrictor plate allowing too much volume at the moment, but the bad O-ring in the suction port might be contributing to that as well.

I'll rule out one thing at a time.  Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

:yupyup:

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: Hydro Assist Progress
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:20:11 PM »
.d

have you read freds40's threads on HA yet? I had the same problem w/ cavitation and got a bigger reservoir and its fine now and ALOT more volume.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4699.0
and
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10579.0
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2005, 06:43:50 PM by KYOTA »

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:38:03 PM »
All be putting hydro on my toy also, but not yet
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:10:05 PM »
.d

have you read freds40's threads on HA yet? I had the same problem w/ cavitation and got a bigger reservoir and its fine now and ALOT more volume.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4699.0
and
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10579.0

Yes, I've read those threads and it would seem that the larger reservoir is needed.  Do you have any pics of your install of that reservoir?  Seems for the price that welding up 2-3 of the OEM ones would be less expensive and no AN fittings to mess with.  Any other experiential advice?

:yupyup:

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2005, 08:01:14 PM »
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow if I get home from work before dark. The AN fittings arent too bad the straight -6 was like $4 but the 90* -10 was $20. I used push on barbed AN fittings that fit the Toy hoses perfecly, the push on fittings require no clamps.