Author Topic: Speeding Tickets bite!  (Read 7477 times)

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Speeding Tickets bite!
« on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:21:43 PM »
So I'm drirving down the freeway doing 70-75 in a 60. I'm in a big clump of cars nobody is in front of me. My friend was on his cell phone in my passenger seat and we were in the carpool lane. I look forward and see a stater waving at me to pull over. I am off the freeway and almost on the shoulder by the time this guy gets in his car! On the ticket it says he paced out 85. How can you pace someone when your car is stopped in the shoulder? He wrote some radar thing at 644 feet, but when it says device he made a mark that was mostly in pace, with a small little bit in radar, so it definatley looks like pace. I kept my calm and thought he was going to let me off, 10 over its that fast you know? Then he says you gotta slow down and walks back to his car and writes me a ticket. 153 bucks and he wrote 80+ on the ticket under vehicle speed. What are my options? I think I am going to go to court saying I didnt do this and fight it, and if the cop doesnt show up I'm clean. I just dont want points on my liscense.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2005, 08:10:45 AM by MrsWillyMammoth »
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: Speeding Tickets suck!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:27:09 PM »
Dude with a car like that, it ain't gonna be the last time.  Either way you were speeding, you even admitted it.  Maybe you can get them to bring it down a bit to under 80 :psss: in Cali, 20mph over the speed limit is a felony :yikes:

:thumbs: Good luck! :therethere:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »
When in court if the cop shows up ask for a calibration certificate for the radar gun. :greengrin:

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 03:35:03 PM »
I was wondering if in Washington if the cop has to show up to the hearing if I admit that I was speeding. Because that is an option too, the option says

Mitigation hearing- I agree I have commited the infraction, but I want a hearing to explain the circumstances. Please send me a court date and I promis to appear. I know I can ask witnesses to appear are not required to appear. I understand this will do on my driving record.

The other

Contested Hearing- I want to contest this infraction, I did not commit this infraction. Please send me a court date and I will appear. The state must prove that I commited this infraction. I know I can require witnesses including the officer who wrote the ticket to attend the hearing. The court will tell me how to request a witness. This will go on my record if I lose my case.

Does that only mean I can subpeona the cop in the mitigation hearing?

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 05:20:46 PM »
this is one of the reason WRX'S  are so dam expensive to get insurance on.

but since im from Washington, i say fight the fawker. the worse thats gonna happen is you dont get any money taken off. you really ave nothing to loose. and definetly ask to see proof that you were speeding
Im an OG

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 05:26:52 PM »
I have the money to pay the ticket, but its my entire paycheck! :rivers: The worst part is I might have to get rid of the car or something. I dont even know right now. I cant pay the insurance after this ticket. Maybe I was doing 80 but I doubt it.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »
I have the money to pay the ticket, but its my entire paycheck! :rivers: The worst part is I might have to get rid of the car or something. I dont even know right now. I cant pay the insurance after this ticket. Maybe I was doing 80 but I doubt it.
Do you have traffic school there? We have that in FL.

We have options of online (which sucks), and live comedy traffic school (which is lame but really easy) you can go to that will take a percentage off the price of your ticket (although you have to pay for the school so that kind of evens out) but it also does not put points on your license because of your ticket and in most cases you insurance doesn't go up.

ANd with the comedy traffic school (its like 2 hours for one night) you get a free ticket to a comedy club too.

If not, going to court, if you are good at arguing your case, is probably your best bet for lowering the fine.

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2005, 06:50:55 PM by MrsWillyMammoth »
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:39:29 PM »
Oh, and if you wanted to know what it's like to get a speeding ticket, you coulda just asked us :slap: You didn't have to run out and find out fer yerself

:beerchug:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

biteme

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 119
  • Member since Nov '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:28:54 PM »
in the state of Washington the statepatrol officer doesn't have to show up in court unless you request it.second he has a writen statement that the judge will have.third you can go to the court clerk before court ands ask for the calibration cert,[hint] there normally good on keeping them current. last you can ask to defer the ticket.what does that mean. well the ticket doesn't go on your record, you pay a small court fee, and you drive like a granny and don't speed or get any other tickets for 2 years. and it will not be on your record. but if you screw up and get another then the first and second will also go on your record. :smack: or just tell your rich mommy and daddy to get there lawyer and let him or her handle it. :slap:

and just to let you know the speed limit is the same in all lanes not higher because your in the carpool lane. :haha:

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »
Yes I know the speed limit is the same in the carpool lane. Thanks for the county clerk idea. I will have to check on that because I think he was off by quite a bit. Nice guy though he was jokin around with us the whole time, and the fine isn't too much. I am just worried about the insurance. Maybe I wil deferr it. Maybe I'll just fight it and go for a reduced if not have it dropped. About the traffic school thing, my ex gf moved to lake mary and she did the traffic school and she said it was easy, too bad we dont have that here.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:37:16 PM »
16 years old.
WRX.
Speeding ticket.

Why does it seem to me that all these statements seem to go hand in hand?

What Biteme said.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:47:27 PM »
Darn it dude, I thought you were done being entertainment :gap:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

biteme

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 119
  • Member since Nov '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:55:37 PM »
he can't tell mommy and daddy they might ground him from the car. :dunno:  :haha:  :laugh:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:12:36 PM »
Do you have traffic school there? We have that in FL.

We have options of online (which sucks), and live comedy traffic school (which is lame but really easy) you can go to that will take a percentage off the price of your ticket (although you have to pay for the school so that kind of evens out) but it also does not put points on your license because of your ticket and in most cases you insurance doesn't go up.

ANd with the comedy traffic school (its like 2 hours for one night) you get a free ticket to a comedy club too.

If not, going to court, if you are good at arguing your case, is probably your best bet for lowering the fine.

Wow, free tickets to a comedy club!  That's Sweet! What do I have to do to get tickets to the football game?  Park in a handicapped spot or get caught with some marijuana?  haha...  Anyways, the worst ticket I ever got was 130 in a 70.  Got pulled over by an undercover, red mustang convertible. I thought he was trying to race me.  Ticket only cost $60. not bad.  First ticket was in my first car, '75 Triumph Spitfire.  Top speed (as measured by Hwy Patrol radar) was 70 mph, downhill.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2005, 08:18:01 PM by DIRTOYBOY »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »
dood...i went to see ffc a few months ago and i got a 100+ in a 65 and a 90+ in a 70 within two hours....i sold that car when i got home..cause i had the cruise control on at 68 both times
 :headscratch:

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:19:10 PM »
You could have gotten those tickets down to defective equipment. Those tickets are cheap.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:20:10 PM »
You could have gotten those tickets down to defective equipment. Those tickets are cheap.
i tied...they said...suck our californian......bottoms

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2005, 08:20:13 PM »
I got a ticket for doin 62 in a 45.  I was passing a truck that was shootin rocks at me, Mr Police Ocifer was sitting in a yard on a bike.  Blended in with all the junk in the yard :tantrum: He got me, that was $298... You got it pretty good at $153

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:32:50 PM »
Darn it dude, I thought you were done being entertainment :gap:

if he only knew :biggthumpup:
Im an OG

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:47:50 PM »
I guess I'm an entertaining person... :rofl2:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:39:52 PM »
I've got a cure for the speeding ticket blues........

SLOW DOWN!!!  :burnout:  :burnout:  :burnout:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »
Yeah I know that now...I was telling myself I had no good reason to slow down, now I do!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2005, 02:29:02 AM »
Where I live, everybody is affraid to go over the speed limit!  We have three times the unmarked police cars than marked cruisers.  I have friends that are cops, they've got everything from buicks to yukons.  That's not including the high perfomance rigs/quads out at Sandlake!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:06:36 PM »
Where I live, everybody is affraid to go over the speed limit!  We have three times the unmarked police cars than marked cruisers.  I have friends that are cops, they've got everything from buicks to yukons.  That's not including the high perfomance rigs/quads out at Sandlake!

Sneeky little @#$@# aren't they? The little town I lived in for about 2 years had a bunch of reserves and only 3 squad cars, ther reserves would use their personal vehicles, used to  :rofl2: at people that didn't notice that 64 Falcon had a cop sitting in it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

rockscrambler

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 800
  • Member since May '05
  • the rocscrambler's rock blazer
    • View Profile
    • Home of the rockscrambler
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2005, 07:23:04 PM »
Sneeky little @#$@# aren't they? The little town I lived in for about 2 years had a bunch of reserves and only 3 squad cars, ther reserves would use their personal vehicles, used to :rofl2: at people that didn't notice that 64 Falcon had a cop sitting in it.
I being one of them didn't think it was at all funny! :tantrum:  they should have to have a light or something  :tantrum:  mine was in a lifted 70's Chevy blazer out in cherry valley
we're born,we roll over,we crawl,we walk,we run,we drive,we install cages,we wheel,we crawl,we roll over,the circle of life is complete.!

"we sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to bring violence upon those who would do us harm" to you I say thank you
87 Chevy K5 V10 tonka truck,87 Toyota 4runner
83 Jeep CJ8,sold-76 Dodge W200 & 87 Ford broncoII

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:10:47 PM »
I miss the days of when they were all Chevy Caprices.  You could spot those square headlights a mile away, day or night!  It's fun to watch my money go flying off the first bowl in persuit of somebody at Sandlake though!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

wa4x4 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:20:04 PM »
Wow so wednesday after I got my ticket I gave it to my dad and he of course freaks out. He gets up and walks away and says that I'm retarded or something like that and then he somehow lost the ticket. So now he's running around the house trying to find it hahahaa.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8452
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2005, 08:25:48 AM »
 :talkingn:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

87_Yotaman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2005, 11:25:47 AM »
I was going down 74-bypass one day and a honda civic come speeding past me in the slow lane.  About 15yds. ahead was a 1969 SS Camero sitting on the side of the road with his flashers on.  When that guy came blowing past him in that honda, the SS fired up and  :burnout:  :driving:  :burnout:  :driving:  :burnout:  :driving:  :burnout: and caught up to the civic with no problem with blue lights flashing and wrote him up.

:rofl2:

OR
  __                __
(__) l l l l l l l l (__)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »
How intimidating would that be, caught speeding by a 69 Camaro SS!  If your in a small compact, knowing that there is absolutely no way of outrunning it! 

I'd be like, I know I'm guilty, hey can I check out your car?