Author Topic: just a reminder  (Read 2731 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
just a reminder
« on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:54:20 PM »
I almost did something really stupid the other day, and I just wanted to pass on some advice.  That nagging little voice that tells you you forgot something? listen to it!

I work with molten sulfur, and concrete, essentially I cap cylinders with the sulfur to create a flush surface for compression testing.  When the sulfur hardens, it gets very hard, and can chip fairly easily.  I cap the cylinders in molds, and have to use a hammer to loosen them to take them out. 

I thought I had finished, but I saw that I had one more cylinder to do.  My safety goggles were at my desk where I had taken them off thinking I was done.  I almost capped the cylinder w/o them, thinking "what could happen"  but I decided to put them on.  WHen I hit the mold with the hammer, I knocked loose a chunk of sulfur, and it was sharp enough to score my safety glasses.  If I hadnt of had them on, it would have gone right into my eye!  :yikes:

Just wanted to pass this on, when you're almost done, and think, this last little bit wont hurt, dont do it, use the proper safety equipment

ok I'm done being mom, dad, and I'm off my :soapbox:

oh yeah, dont run with scissors :hahaha:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: just a reminder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:09:13 PM »
Safety equipment is for girl thingies!!  Wait a second.....I'm a girl thingy....damnit, caught in my own web of lies
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:20:43 PM »
I have a ripped cornia from a sharp piece of something getting into my eye and tearing it.

Worst thing to live with, havn't got my insurance started with my new job yet so i'm just dealing with it for now..

one of the worst pains you can go through, I wake up every morning feeling like someone stabbed me in the eye with a knife. Somedays its so bad I can barely see out of it and makes me somewhat disoriented.

Eye injurys are no joke.

As far as fixing it, once I get insurance i'll have to go down to UC Davis and have my eye numbed and locked wide open so they can tear the rest of my cornia out with a regular cotton swab and then stab a bunch of little holes in my eye with a needle so that when the cornia grows back it seals itself using the holes as entry for the roots so it attaches.  Doesn't so to appealing does it?    All this for just not wearing safety glasses........  :shake:
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:24:01 PM »
I have a ripped cornia from a sharp piece of something getting into my eye and tearing it.

Worst thing to live with, havn't got my insurance started with my new job yet so i'm just dealing with it for now..

one of the worst pains you can go through, I wake up every morning feeling like someone stabbed me in the eye with a knife. Somedays its so bad I can barely see out of it and makes me somewhat disoriented.

Eye injurys are no joke.

As far as fixing it, once I get insurance i'll have to go down to UC Davis and have my eye numbed and locked wide open so they can tear the rest of my cornia out with a regular cotton swab and then stab a bunch of little holes in my eye with a needle so that when the cornia grows back it seals itself using the holes as entry for the roots so it attaches.  Doesn't so to appealing does it?    All this for just not wearing safety glasses........  :shake:

I think I'm gonna go get mine permanentl attached to my head now, after that story

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:35:55 PM »
I got a rusted piece of metal stuck in my eye and i was wearing safety glasses.  I had to go the the doctor, he couldn't find anything so i went to the eye doctor.  a minute after i got there he found it and pulled it out with some tweezers.  Doesn't feel to good when your eye is being pulled out.  It was wierd though.  When the piece of metal was in my eye, it wouldn't hurt all the time.  It was a once in awhile thing.  Maybe 2 times a day it would hurt.  But when it did my eye would start tearing up like i was crying.  It stung badly too.  I alays wear safety glasses now and always have but even glasses can't stop some things.  Maybe i should invest in a face shield.

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2005, 10:49:22 PM »
ive been to the emergensy room 3 times to get metal shavings taken out of my eye all in the same eye and i was whearing safety glasses it didnt even happen when i was grinding it happend after wards wile i was sleeping there was some metal shavings in my eye brow or around my eye and it got rubbed into my eye wile i was sleeping and i woke up at about 3 am riving in pain some times they can get them out using tweesers or a cotten swab if your luck but if its actualy under the surface like one of mine was they have to take a very small drill bit and actualy drill into your eye to get it out. so always wash your face after doing a lot of grinding :yesnod:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2005, 11:13:55 PM »
 :shake_head: Dude you are sooooo lucky! I think yer was workin double time on you  :usa:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2005, 09:35:53 AM »

As far as fixing it, once I get insurance i'll have to go down to UC Davis and have my eye numbed and locked wide open so they can tear the rest of my cornia out with a regular cotton swab and then stab a bunch of little holes in my eye with a needle so that when the cornia grows back it seals itself using the holes as entry for the roots so it attaches. Doesn't so to appealing does it? All this for just not wearing safety glasses........ :shake:

[cringe] That story made my spine completly tense up. [/cringe] :shudder:

It's a good thing that you listened to that little voice inside Blackdog, your lucky.  How many times have I been done with a job and saw something else and thought "It's just a quick grind, or hammer, or whatever" I don't need my glasses, and then do the work without them.   Lately i have been trying to make it a habbit of it and just make myself put them on cuz i like having   :eye: :eye:.      

As compared to :eye: X

Thanks for saying it, I know I need to hear these things periodically.  :yesnod:
I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2005, 11:31:52 AM »
[cringe] That story made my spine completly tense up. [/cringe] :shudder:

It's a good thing that you listened to that little voice inside Blackdog, your lucky.  How many times have I been done with a job and saw something else and thought "It's just a quick grind, or hammer, or whatever" I don't need my glasses, and then do the work without them.   Lately i have been trying to make it a habbit of it and just make myself put them on cuz i like having   :eye: :eye:.      

As compared to :eye: X

Thanks for saying it, I know I need to hear these things periodically.  :yesnod:

:yupyup: I've done the same thing many times.  I'm just glad I listened this time

-Ronald Reagan

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2005, 12:55:50 PM »
You wondn't believe how many people I see in the ER with eye injuries. If I could melt all the metal together, I could probably make a paperclip. Some have had to undergo surgery (Like Shamb is going to have to do). It sucks.

Thanks for the reminder BD, good to keep it fresh in our minds.

Erik

P.S. I'm also somewhat tired of pulling those things outta peoples eyes! Please put me out of buidness....
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2005, 03:25:22 PM »
It's thing's like that happening that make me glad I have to put my glasses on every day.Because knowing me if I didn't have to wear glasses I probably wouldn't wear safety gargles.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater