Author Topic: More solid IFS front axle than the 7,5"  (Read 3127 times)

Barfot

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 16
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
More solid IFS front axle than the 7,5"
« on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:43:27 AM »
Here in Norway we have a lot of trouble getting anything approved to be road legal. Its incredible hard to get a SAS approved, even if only one guy have done it before. My application to do a SAS is by the government now, but I really do not expect apositive answer.
http://www.bilbygging.no/viewtopic.php?t=77&start=60

My question is : is there any solution to get a better front axle than the original 7,5" on the IFS ?

My truck is a 1990 Pickup with 5,13 gears in the diffs, Truetrac f/r and I'm running on 37" MTR's. Its lifted with a modified procomp stage one lift kit, Rockstomper IFS flex kit and some heavy sheet metal cutting to fit the MTR's. (yes, its road legal as one of 2-3 similar trucks here in Norway...) Now I just wrecked my 3rd setup of the R&P and it seems like its just not strong enough.
The 5,13 gearing is taken from a Toyota van and have 8/41 teeths compared to 4,88 who has 8/39 teeths on the R/P. In that manner, they should be just as strong.

Is there anything that could be fitted that is stronger ?
Any mid section from any independent suspension from Chevy, Ford or whatever ?

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: More solid IFS front axle than the 7,5"
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:01:52 AM »
Sounds like the gears in that van were the problem.  You should not have a problem with brand new gears as long as you dont go ove 5.29, the 5.71 gears are really weak.
 If you are running a stock motor you should not have a problem unless the gears are not being set up right. 

Barfot [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2005, 11:52:41 AM »
Well, after ruining 3 different gearsets, 2 of them with 35" BFG Mts and one set with the 37" MTR i'm convinced that its the whole IFS system that is too weak. In addition to the 3 different R&Ps I have wrecked one of the small axles going out of the diff and one of the bierfiels on the outside of the driveshafts.
The last gearset was professionally set up by one very capable mechanic and offroad driver/competitor so nothing was wrong with it.

Mye engine is the normal, at least here in Europe, 2,4 litre diesel with an Toyota CT-20 turbo upgrade. The engine is giving around 100 Hp but quite much torque, at least compared with a petrol engine with the same horsepower.

Friend of mine have wrecked 5,29 a lot, one guy 3 different new sets with only 35" BFG AT's...

Before I spot welded all the "loose" procomp brackets, the front suspension was moving along all the time, but after giving all the 4 lowering brackets some spotweld things stay in place. Talking about comfort and offroad abilities I'm quite happy with the IFS, but getting into 2wd after 600 meters of offroading is not very fun.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2005, 03:45:38 PM »
I dont think your IFS is the problem.  I've got the pro comp stage 2, and I'm running 35" BFG MTs, and have run 37" MTRs, and I've broken one gearset in the 3 years I've had the truck (5.29s)  Make sure everything is tightened down on your lift, and what kinda angle are your halfshafts on?  if they're angled higher than mabye 20-30 degrees, your gonna have problems.  Mabye uits the torwque going to them from the deisel, I dunno.  I've got the 3.0 so I'm worhtless there.  I've also broken that stub shaft as well, sucks but thats the life of having IFS.  I just carry a spare, its real easy to fix.    Do you have a locker in the front?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CRS

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 132
  • Member since Oct '05
  • 1/4 TiLT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2005, 05:44:46 PM »
Here in Norway we have a lot of trouble getting anything approved to be road legal. Its incredible hard to get a SAS approved, even if only one guy have done it before. My application to do a SAS is by the government now, but I really do not expect apositive answer.

Man that sucks.

IN LOVING MEMORY OF JAKE. MY BEST FRIEND AND COPILOT
                  WITH ME FOR A MILLION DAYS

2-15-05  4-12-06

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2005, 08:41:21 PM »
if you can get away with modifying the IFS, you can do some cool stuff if you have the money and/or skill.  an 8" toy diff up front would be adequate, one could probably be built from an old rear axle.  shafts would be the tough part...

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2005, 09:06:05 PM »
if you can get away with modifying the IFS, you can do some cool stuff if you have the money and/or skill.  an 8" toy diff up front would be adequate, one could probably be built from an old rear axle.  shafts would be the tough part...

I dunno, that could probably work, I dunno what your fab skills are, or your parts availability, but mabye you could look into doing that, weld the IFS diff shafts to the holes on the rear diff, and then use toy shafts, or even look into some larger vehicles with IFS?  Dunno how creatively compatible they are but over here the newer fullsize trucks have come out in IFS  :crazy:  mabye you could use some components off of them?

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Barfot [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Hilux homepage
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2005, 11:40:02 PM »
yes, that was actually my question IF somebody know of some common modification using the center section of some front or rear axle with independent suspension that is stronger than the 7,5"

I know Brian on his famous website put up a picture of a Supra rear diff some time and made a question if that one could be a solution up front.
Its a lot more easier to swap the center section of the axle, compared to get it road legal, than doing a SAS... Clue is not to change any of the carrying parts, onlythe fixed part.

My ideas so fas is turning around a modified front axle housing, shorten up the long side to be just as long as the short side, using only the 2 short sides and 2 pcs short drive shafts and so on, but probably even that combination would be too long, even by centering the diff.

Today I'm keeping the lift up front quite original, the lower arms is going slightly downards.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2005, 11:45:56 PM by Barfot »

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2005, 11:53:48 PM »
yes, that was actually my question IF somebody know of some common modification using the center section of some front or rear axle with independent suspension that is stronger than the 7,5"

I know Brian on his famous website put up a picture of a Supra rear diff some time and made a question if that one could be a solution up front.
Its a lot more easier to swap the center section of the axle, compared to get it road legal, than doing a SAS... Clue is not to change any of the carrying parts, onlythe fixed part.

My ideas so fas is turning around a modified front axle housing, shorten up the long side to be just as long as the short side, using only the 2 short sides and 2 pcs short drive shafts and so on, but probably even that combination would be too long, even by centering the diff.

Today I'm keeping the lift up front quite original, the lower arms is going slightly downards.

I dont know of a common fix, sorry dude.  Your idea i dont think will work, I think you're right, it'll be too long. 

-Ronald Reagan

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2005, 08:50:23 AM »
You could always find a chevy front diff and get some custom cv axle's.  The cops would not know the diference.