0 (0%)
LockRight
8 (19%)
Aussie Locker
31 (73.8%)
Detroit EZ
3 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Lunchbox Locker  (Read 4157 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Lunchbox Locker
« on: Oct 25, 2005, 07:16:59 AM »
I am starting to shop for a lunchbox locker and I'm not sure which one is the best considering strength, function and cost.

Please vote and give justification for your vote.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Lunchbox Locker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 07:29:25 AM »
Out of the lockers list, deffinetly Aussie.
Less parts, and I haven't heard of one breaking yet.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »
I voted aussie. that is what I run up front and like it.  I worked great in the rear but now sometimes in the front I can barely turn on solid ground like the slabs unless I am moving

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:47:33 AM »
Aussie or Lockright.  Which ever one is cheaper when you decide to purchase.

I know Aussie has 2 year warranty, which is nice, not sure about lockright. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:31:53 PM »
I have heard a lot of great things about the aussie locker.  I actually ordered one right when they came out but it would have taken 2 months to get to me so i canclled that and got a lockrite.  The lockrite didn't last long before it broke.  I have heard of a lot of lockrites breaking.  I haven't heard of any aussie lockers breaking.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 05:17:26 PM »
Words from the engineers at Torq Masters:

"We have thousands of Aussie Lockers in use, many, many hundreds in the front
of Toyota diffs with every possible combination of large tires, wheeling
conditions and driving styles and there has never been an Aussie Locker
broken, in any installation, in any vehicle anywhere in the world. We have
had one warranty claim covering thousands and thousands of lockers and that
was caused by a spacer that was not properly  heat treated. We ended up
buying our own heat treat company so we could totally control that process
and have not had a repeate of that issue.

The Aussie Locker has the only warranty that does not exclude coverage if
you have high horsepower or large tires and that just shows our confidence
and experience with the reliability of the Aussie Locker.

We hope that answers your question, but if not please let us know."
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

bmxanddie

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 557
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 11:19:47 PM »
i got an aussie in the rear with no problems what so ever. I say aussie :thumbs:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2005, 09:17:24 AM »
I hear Aussie is a good locker, yet I have no experiance with this locker so obviously I can't vote for it.

I like my lockright, its a bit noise on the trail and really sucks when you've gotta turn with 5 psi on granite slabs but it performs well when it needs to, locks everytime and hasn't given me any problems yet.
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

shiftless89

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -277
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 28, 2005, 06:43:14 AM »
I'm going with Aussie early next year.  I ran a lockright in a ford 8.8 and when it broke the chain reaction took out the ring gear, carrier and diff cover.   this was with a 300ci 6cyl with 33's.  as well my dad had one in his front dana 44 on his 66 bronco.  the guide pins wallowed out really bad and sheared off.   So, the 2 times my family has run lockrights, both failed.  now he uses ARB/detroit combo.  I'm still poor so I'll try the aussies out
Isn't Colorado that cute little state park in north Texas?

hbar314

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2005, 06:59:14 AM »
I have an aussie in the front of my toyota and I love it. Thats my vote.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
I am going to clarify the different lunchbox lockers that are available (in no particular order):

(1) Aussie Locker by Torq Masters (www.offroadlockers.com)

(2) Lock Right by Richmond Gear (www.powertrax.com)

(3) Powerax by Richmond Gear (www.powertrax.com)

(4) Detroit EZ Locker by Tractech (www.tractech.com)

(5) Quick Lok by Genuine Gear (unknown manufacture website)

Note: the Quick Lok is a rebadged Detroit EZ Locker

That is all that I know about, I'm sure many of you can keep them all straight, but I get them confused.  I have noticed that some people are incorrectly saying that the Powertrax is the same as the Detroit EZ, they don't even look the same.

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17579
  • Male Posts: 1,025
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2005, 12:57:37 AM »
i run lock-rights front and rear...so far no problems. its been like 3 years...but not driven all that much. mostly hollister, sierra trips(bald, dusy) and a few rubicon trips. alot of street miles to school, and too the trails.
ive heard some good things about the aussie locker too...but havent run one myself.

happy trails
rich *ruger*  :usa:  :turtle:
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2005, 01:02:39 AM by RUGER »
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2005, 06:39:49 PM »
I just ordered an Aussie Locker so I hope the vote is correct.

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2005, 11:07:44 PM »
i just ordered up a detroit ez locker.  i would've gotten an aussie, but they STILL don't make one for a V6 rear after all this time :rivers:  only ran be $204 shipped from poly performance though, looking forward to being able to put it in

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2005, 11:41:09 AM »
My Aussie Locker shipped today.  They gave me $10 credit for being a member on Pirate4x4 (I only visit the site maybe once a month because I am not a fireman) and they upgraded my shipping from ground to 3-day Select due to a shipping delay at their expense.  I think I told them at the time of order that I was moving and needed it before November 25th.

All I can say is, " :clap2:  :clap2:  :thumbs: " to them!

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2005, 12:11:27 PM »
I've been thinkin' bout gettin' a locker and thanks to you guy's now I know which one to get. :beerchug:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »
Aussie Locker arrived today  :greengrin:

Please educate me on how the stupid thing works.  I put all of the parts together and it is obvious that the springs push the two inner pieces out to mesh the teeth with the outer pieces and the spacers push the outer pieces out to disengage the locker, but what actually pushes spacers?  It must somehow be the pin, but I don't know how that part works.  Help me out!

flyin ryan

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -204
  • Male Posts: 241
  • Member since Sep '04
  • poser to the extreme!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:22:02 PM »
I'm interested in purchasing an aussie.  Where did you get yours and how much?

Thanks

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2005, 09:29:04 PM »
I got it direct from Torq Masters (www.offroadlockers.com) and with shipping it was about $250.  They gave me a $10 discount for being a Pirate member. 

irishracer34

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Oct '05
  • i am the best i've ever had!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2005, 11:19:06 PM »
  i just got done reviewing aussies sit,  im sold.   not to mention if anybody has any question about this stuff just simply ask their techs.     great option :thumbs:

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2005, 06:58:14 AM »
I wonder why we can't get a discount for being a member of Marlin Crawler?  I've bought two Aussie lockers and they rule.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2005, 06:41:49 PM »
Aussie Locker arrived today  :greengrin:

Please educate me on how the stupid thing works.  I put all of the parts together and it is obvious that the springs push the two inner pieces out to mesh the teeth with the outer pieces and the spacers push the outer pieces out to disengage the locker, but what actually pushes spacers?  It must somehow be the pin, but I don't know how that part works.  Help me out!
:dunno: Just install it, don't worry about the how. I'm still lost . :hammerhead:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2006, 07:22:47 AM »
I had the Aussie Locker and 30-spline Longfields installed on Friday and the first short test drive was successful.

Here is a post that I copied from pirate4x4.com from Torque Masters.  I thought that it was interesting and informative.  It was posted to explain the differences between the Aussie Locker and the others (i.e. Lockright, Detroit EZ, etc...)

"There are many differences between the Aussie Locker and the competition!

A few are:

Powertrax/Lock Right have for many years touted their "Shear Pins". They state that their pins are designed to shear/break when the locker gets in a certain position within the case. The so called "benefit" is that the pins break and not the locker. Aussie Locker takes a different design approach and designs our locker so that if it is properly installed, the locker will not get in the position that causes pins to break, therefore "No Shear Pins" in the Aussie Locker...our pins are designed to last the life of the locker.

Lock Right has patents and has touted their "spring-within-a-spring design. The Aussie Locker uses a robust spring that does not need two to provide strength and reliability. The EZ locker uses a little "top hat" to fit in the end of their spring". Fewer parts means higher reliability. Point to the Aussie Locker.

Lock Right and EZ use a design that have holes (windows) drilled in the sides of the axle gears and cam gears. Aussie Locker engineers feel that holes create opportunities for breakage and we do not use this design and have patents pending to cover our approach. We eliminate 8 side holes in our design. The use of these holes also requires little tunnels in the gears, close to the walls of the gear, where the pin and springs fit and we do not like that for reliability.

We use a teeth depth and angles for our product that our engineers have determined to be appropriate for the noise level, smoothness and reliability of our product. Other manufacturers use their own designs.

The Aussie Locker cam angles are of our design resulting in a design that meets our product objectives.

The Aussie Locker product undergoes a special and propriatary heat treating process to ensure long life and reliability.

Aussie Locker has a 100% quality audit under electronic microscopes where we measure specification conformance to the micron level. We will leave it to other manufacturers to specify their own quality level, but we are quite confident that ours is the best in the industry.

The Aussie Locker has the best warranty in the industry, with no "get out of jail free" cards the manufacturer can pull out if you have larger than OEM tires or high horsepower.

As to the pricing, why must a lower cost product been suspect as to quality? We sell direct to the end user through our web site. Our advertising is primarily on the web vs. the costly print media used by our competitors. And we understand that most of our customers do not have a lot of cash to throw around, so why charge them a high price, just because you can?

TorqMasters Technology Inc. is not some billion dollar company where lockers are not even worthy of a mention in the annual report. We are off roaders like our customers. When was the last time anyone saw the President of Detroit Locker or Richmond Gear out on the trail with their customers?

We set out to design a product that met "our" own traction requirements and we have successfully done so."