Author Topic: Computer vs. Hot Chocolate (replacement advise)  (Read 3797 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Computer vs. Hot Chocolate (replacement advise)
« on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:57:09 AM »
:rivers:

The other day my wife spilled hot chocolate on her labtop computer, it mostly survived, but have you ever tried to type without a backspace key?

:rivers:
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2005, 07:07:57 AM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Computer vs. Hot Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:02:32 AM »
that aint right!!. the Lord invented erasers for a reason!!! i used the backspace key 7 times writing this sentence, i suck.....

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:10:22 AM »
you guys think U got  it bad  check out this key board

:smack:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:20:24 AM »
thats why we have a no food or drink at the computer rule ;)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:24:57 AM »
:rofl: Ask Blackdoggy bout typing with no space bar :smack: :wall:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:42:27 AM »
LMAO!! I spilled wine on my keyboard once and before I took all the keys off and cleaned the E key would stick!! Like you don't use that key enough.

:psss: If you are going to remove all the keys from your keyboard to clean it make sure you either take a picture or have another keyboard for reference when you put it back together! :smack:

:rofl:
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2005, 10:47:17 AM »
you guys think U got it bad check out this key board

:smack:

I sure hope those stains are food related
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2005, 01:35:01 PM »
i spilled water on one a few nights ago lost space bar b and n.  i couldnt type anything without it lookin crazy.  so i finally got a new one

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2005, 04:17:39 PM »
LIke keyboards aren't cheap enough to just buy a new one.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2005, 04:18:58 PM »
Yeah but when you spill stuff on a laptop you are screwed. Hard to fix em!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:18:33 PM »
 :psss: Come on now you can tell us the truth as to why your backspace key is sticky.

I drink lots of coffee and have yet to spill anything on my keyboards :crossed:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:33:56 PM »
I think it is getting replaced with a Sony Vaio to match my desktop that has proven worthy over the past few years.

The notebook has also locked up twice since the spill in a way much different than anytime before, hmm.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2005, 09:44:50 PM »
I have to admit that one of my old keyboards died because of a can of Coke poorly placed. I knocked it over and it didn't work anymore.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2005, 07:06:38 AM »
Anybody have any experiences with a Pentium Centrino?  I am looking at a Sony Vaio notebook with a 1.73 Pentium M, 533 front side bus, 512 RAM, etc...We don't need the fastest computer on the planet, but the battery savings of the Centrino sounds great.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
At work we use the keyboards called the "Virtually Indestructible Keyboards"  they are like a rubber mat with buttons.  Especially in a wet enviroment they work great.  Kinda funky to get used to though!  But you can pick them up and wad the whole thing into a ball and it will just unroll itself back out! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
At work we use the keyboards called the "Virtually Indestructible Keyboards"  they are like a rubber mat with buttons.  Especially in a wet enviroment they work great.  Kinda funky to get used to though!  But you can pick them up and wad the whole thing into a ball and it will just unroll itself back out! 

:headscratch: you got a pic of this thing? :disturbed:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2005, 12:40:37 PM »
Anybody have any experiences with a Pentium Centrino?  I am looking at a Sony Vaio notebook with a 1.73 Pentium M, 533 front side bus, 512 RAM, etc...We don't need the fastest computer on the planet, but the battery savings of the Centrino sounds great.

That sounds like to computer my dad has, he loves it! He's and airline pilot, and he uses that thing all over the place.  :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Look into an HP, Check out http://www.hpshoping.com you can customize one the way you want.

Also look into using a remote keyboard, I hate using a laptop keyboard. :thumbs:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Look into an HP, Check out http://www.hpshoping.com you can customize one the way you want.

Also look into using a remote keyboard, I hate using a laptop keyboard. :thumbs:

The chocolate computer is an HP notebook and I have not been that impressed with its performance.  It is only a couple of years old and my wife had it built custom.  I am not knocking HP all computers; however, I am ready to try something else.

We considered using the remote keyboard, but since we usually use it while sitting on the couch it would be a pain in the butt.  Also, it has frozen a couple of times since the spill so I think it may have a more serious problem.  Prior to the spill it would freeze frame and lock up, but after the spill the screen has gone crazy twice.

An electrical engineer buddy of mine said that AMD (what her old computer has) tends to over clock their processors from the factory to increase speed while keeping cost down and this can increase hardware lockups, so that might explain why her computer liked to lock up frequently.  I have also heard the theory that when companies are building "budget" computers with low cost hardware they ususally have an AMD processor due to lower cost which can make it seem like the AMD computer are not as good when it is a combination of factors.

I am no expert, I just know what I have been happy with in the past.

p.s. the Sony has been ordered.  another great place to shop is the dell outlet online.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
I have the centino and it isnt too bad. I like it.

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
i have a dell 700m 2.0 ghz for my walk-around computer, works great...
You win some, you lose some.

Willy Mammoth

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I have to say my Sony Viao has been trouble free and it goes everywhere we do :gap: It is only a 700 P1 and can be quite slow. On the other hand my main computer is a HP Z7000 custom 3.2 ghz 2 gig pc 3200 ram and so on. It is not as on the go friendly, but is a great desktop replacement.

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
That keyboard of mine  has had many a SoCo and beer spilld on it  :beerchug:     

:spankbutt: MRWm  that gose :psss:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
An electrical engineer buddy of mine said that AMD (what her old computer has) tends to over clock their processors from the factory to increase speed while keeping cost down and this can increase hardware lockups, so that might explain why her computer liked to lock up frequently.  I have also heard the theory that when companies are building "budget" computers with low cost hardware they ususally have an AMD processor due to lower cost which can make it seem like the AMD computer are not as good when it is a combination of factors.

I am no expert, I just know what I have been happy with in the past.

p.s. the Sony has been ordered. another great place to shop is the dell outlet online.

Just to be the asshat in this discussion, I have never seen an AMD in a budget computer.  The last computer I built (the one I'm typing on now) has an AMD, and I will never, ever go back to an Intel chip.  The problem with AMDs, IMHO, is the motherboards.  To get a good one, you have to spend more than for a comparable Intel board, but the trade off is well worth it.  The AMD I bought cost more than the similar P4 when I built this pig, as well.  I guess it just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Just to be the asshat in this discussion, I have never seen an AMD in a budget computer.  The last computer I built (the one I'm typing on now) has an AMD, and I will never, ever go back to an Intel chip.  The problem with AMDs, IMHO, is the motherboards.  To get a good one, you have to spend more than for a comparable Intel board, but the trade off is well worth it.  The AMD I bought cost more than the similar P4 when I built this pig, as well.  I guess it just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

For the record, my EE buddy prefers the Intel products, but isn't against AMD at all, he was simply explaining why the AMD often locks up more often.  As far as a "budget" built, I wan't referring to it being cheap, just slightly less expensive.

Fikseman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -115
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
can't really beat a vaio, the only other laptop i'd consider, would be a toshiba sattelite. sis has one, 3 years old, still gets it done(burning cds, word proccessing, and the few games).

and pentiums are great processors, however, since i like over clocking things to save cash, i prefer the AMD chipsets. its really personal preference/application when you get down to it, i'd just look around for reviews on w/e laptop your looking to buy, and make your choice. if possible go into someplace like best buy and ask someone about it, etc, they usually know what they are talkin bout....

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
This is for FFC and everybody that has a habit of spilling things on their keyboard.  Can't get a pic of it at work, due to security reasons!  At a cheese factory?  :smack:   Come on, give me a break, but I found a pic on the net of this keyboard!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
:yikes: :bowdown: I want one of those!!!! That's tiiiite!!!!!!! :clap2:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
I would get one but they don't make them into the ergonomic style! (keyboard is bent in the middle)  I have one (ergonomic keyboard) and LOVE it, so much that I can't use a standard keyboard, cause I feel like I'm breaking my wrists trying to type!  Those rubber keyboards work good at work cause it's such a wet enviroment!

And those complaining about how slow their computer is, I'm using one that I built in 1999.  Talk about slow, I'm using a pent celeron 500mhz, 40gig harddrive, 128k memory, & can't use the usb port to download dig camera, got to download at moms!   For some reason it doesn't want to play .wmv files even though I'm running windows!  :dunno:   Maybe for x-mas we'll get a new one and upgrade to DSL, just got it in my area!  Needed a new mini-van   :reg:   more than a computer at the time!