Author Topic: Nachese Valley - Funny Rocks (pictures)  (Read 2383 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nachese Valley - Funny Rocks (pictures)
« on: Sep 04, 2005, 10:11:07 PM »
I was up in the area this weekend (funny rocks or moon rocks...not sure I really know the difference), there were tons of rigs around ranging from zuks, toys & jeeps to tube buggies.  I even saw a stock Kia pull out a lifted Chevy pickup (the zuk guys loved it) because something broke in the front end.  I only saw one Marlin Crawler sticker (Blue truck at the trail head).

I was with a stock Cherokee and a lifted Cherokee with 31's and a ARB in the front.  I ended up driving the lifted Cherokee up a spot near funny rocks because the owner's driving style (throttle under pressure) wouldn't do it and I told him that he was going to blow a front axle.  I gave it a good line, power braked it and drove it up smoothly.  I give him props for being man enough to admit that he didn't have the skill to do it.

What anyone up there?
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2005, 07:52:41 PM by blackdiamond »
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Nachese Valley - Funny Rocks (report)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2005, 10:51:13 PM »
See the Jeep on 60's with king coilovers and 42" TSL's?

might of had a newer taco with a D44 on Boggers also,green.

Friends of mine from Rock n Roll offroad, i was suppose to hit up Moonrocks with them this weekend but had work to do on the rig.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2005, 11:18:19 PM »
shamb this is the WASHINGTON moonrocks......you californians are so silly :rofl2:  :yupyup:
Im an OG

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2005, 06:12:34 AM »
When you broke over the hill and came to the T in the trail did you go left or right?  Left is funny rocks right is moon.  Funny rocks has some fun lines on it that my wheelbase cleans with stupid ease.  I love it it makes me look like I can drive. :hahaha:  Moon is just an insane playground.  Ive rolled a buggy down the face of it, lots of fun. :gap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2005, 11:23:27 AM »
When you broke over the hill and came to the T in the trail did you go left or right? Left is funny rocks right is moon. Funny rocks has some fun lines on it that my wheelbase cleans with stupid ease. I love it it makes me look like I can drive. :hahaha: Moon is just an insane playground. Ive rolled a buggy down the face of it, lots of fun. :gap:

We went left to Funny Rocks and headed back to camp without going over to Moon Rocks.  I was a sponsor on a youth campout/4x4 trip for my church so we headed back while everyone was still having fun.  The rocks look a little like Moab, but the traction isn't nearly the same.  I played on a few of the lines, larger tires would have been helpful.

The spot that I drove the jeep up is at the top of the hill near funny rocks.  I drove my Toyota up a couple of years ago easily, but almost dumped it on the door thanks to great spotting on the way down.  I didn't bother going up yesterday since I drove a Cherokee up.  The owner was worried about rolling with the drivers front tire up about 2 feet, I think I had it up closer to 4 and it felt more stable than my toy thanks to the wide stance.  I think the Naches Pass trail is about the hardest thing that he has done on a regular basis so he hasn't figure out the rest of the wheeling world.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2005, 06:00:40 PM »
 :smack:

learn something new everyday I suppose!

:talkingn:   didnt even know there was a moonrocks in WA

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2005, 06:23:59 AM »
Im thinking of putting on a run at Naches in the next month or so.  If it pans out maybe you'd like to come along.  We arent exactly from a church group but none of us will kill ya. :hahaha: 

The Kaner flats trail is pretty fun, it'd be insane in the slick!  I cant wait for rain. :evilgrin:

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2005, 07:06:23 AM »
Im thinking of putting on a run at Naches in the next month or so. If it pans out maybe you'd like to come along. We arent exactly from a church group but none of us will kill ya. :hahaha:

The Kaner flats trail is pretty fun, it'd be insane in the slick! I cant wait for rain. :evilgrin:

I would have no problem wheeling with you except that I am headed to Evan's Creek this weekend and then my wife will be wheeled out for a while.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2005, 07:16:27 AM »
Not this month probobly next month at the earliest.  G-dale is this month and the whole group is headed there.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2005, 07:45:08 PM »
Pictures from the trip.  The guy taking the picture had never been wheeling and took his stock quad cab Durango the day before, I was impressed with his driving and his photos!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2005, 07:46:16 PM »
more...

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: Nachese Valley - Funny Rocks (pictures)
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2005, 08:18:01 PM »
sweet pics man, im jeleous
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2005, 08:50:30 AM »
what kind of gray mud is that?
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

battletoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -96
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Hold My Beer, Check This Sh*t Out!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2005, 12:10:01 PM »
that's called good old fashioned washington nastiness

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2005, 12:13:04 PM »

It was like a combination of clay and ice.  My differentials were pushing and I ended up having to back out, I couldn't get enough traction to push the front diff far enough to get out.  I think that 35's would have done the trick.