Author Topic: TOYOTA FEVER!!!!  (Read 7613 times)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
TOYOTA FEVER!!!!
« on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:34:28 PM »
OK I decided today that I'm gonna start my buildup.  I was just sitting on the computer and thought today would be as good a day as any since I start school in a few weeks I might as well get a running start before winter comes around.  Well boy's and girl's here's what I got.  As some might now I have 3 toyotas and a few parts laying around.  So the build off begins.

Just a little background on me and my history of rigs.  I started out at the age of 15 with my first 4x4 and haven't looked back since.  It was a 84 GMC Jimmy with a crate motor and 35 MT on it.  Wheeled it a little before I had my license and just couldn't get enough of the sport.  Within 8 months just after my 16 b-day I bought a 99 Jeep Wrangler and became a Jeepaholic (until I saw the light don't worry).  I dumped so much of my money and my parents into that thing it was crazy.  Dyatrac 44/60 combo and 3 link front and rear on 37 to 40 tires depending on the mood I guess you could say.  Well only a year into owning it I bought my first Toyota a 85 Ex cab (that I still wish I had) that some guy had poured his heart and soul into and because of financial reasons he had to sell it.  It had a stock drivetrain with the expection on lockrites.  He worked for a race car fab. and he built a incab roll bar with side impact bars.  I have to say it was one clean truck and I wish I hadn't sold it.  So now I had 2 rigs for wheeling but the toyota really didn't see much attention for about a year then I started to build it.  The tires hadn't even worn off the nipples before someone told me they wanted to trade me straight up for a 90 ex cab that I have today.  So we traded staight across :rivers:  :hammer: and so now I had myself a "new" truck.  Well the jeep at this time was so built it wasn't really street drive able due to heims and the 3 link so it didn't really get driven except for  in town.  After beeing pulled over about 6 times for no mud flabs and tires to wide my dad was pushing me to sell it.  Well since his name was on the title I really didn't want to argue to much with him so I sold it.  Now the light started to shine.  BUILD A REAL RIG!! A TOYOTA!! :yupyup:  So I got all of this big plans in my head to build a toyota so big it wasn't even funny.  I took it down to a buddies shop and we started in on it.  Cut all of the IFS off and put a toy axle under it.  Well the timing chain needed to be replaced so I decided why not lets put a small block in it.  Ok so the 350 got built.  Well my senior year of H/S started and the truck sat all year long.  With the small block in it and the axles under it.  I had 5 inch Skyjacker leaf packs with 3 inch body (required for the 350 swap) and the 1 inch SAS brackets :smack:  :screwy: .  Thats 9 to 10 inches of lift.  WAY TO MUCH.
So since the 90 wasn't getting done I bought a 83 SR5 and went to work on it during Christmas a 3 inch body with rears up front and rears with blocks out back on 40's  Now we're talking.  little lift big tires.  I loved that rig once I put the weber carb in it and put my axles that were under the 90 under it.  It wheeled quite well.  Then only 2 months after owning it my dream rig appeared for sale.  1987 4 Runner SR5.  SAS'd dual cases, 4 cyl., 5.29's lockers, buggy rear with rears up front and it was gray.  Proven on the Con 3 times and driven to and from on each trip.   I couldn't ask for more.
So the 83 was up for sale and the Runner and I were off for Sring Break in MOAB!! :eyebrow:

Now after another year my Runner now has a leak in the head gasket, its suspension just got rebuilt and I blew my first Birf.  It just took its last voyage under its current state to my last wheeling trip in Colorado and now its going to go under the knife for quite the facelift.  Plans for it are my new 1 ton running gear off a Military Chevy.  With the 350/350/duals and full width 1 tons it won't be to stopable.  40 tires are sitting waiting to get put on and a linked suspension might be in the works.  Its probably going to get a bob job and will be a trailer queen.

As for the other build.  My 90 is getting the 4 cyl. put back in with duals and the runners axles are being put under it now that my front has cromo's and profields.  It will have a low suspesion with gereous amounts of fender trimming and run 37's or 38's.  Its main use will be snow and running around town.

I can't believe I'm going to tackle both at the same time but since parts are going to be swapped I guess I really don't have much choice.  Feel free to tell me what you think and give your opinions.  I'm always trying to learn something new and see and hear how someone else would do it.

:help: :help:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
Re: TOYOTA FEVER!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:37:09 PM »
keep lots of  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:  around and it will go just fine..good luck and most of all have fun..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:38:19 PM »
oh I plan on having fun :eyebrow:

oh and if anyone whats to swing down and lend a hand it'd always be appreciated

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:48:07 PM »
here we go

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:51:28 PM »
I have to say I have quite the girlfriend.  She get right in there with me if I need help.  She was under the rig helping me muscle the tranny and T-case out.  We got it all stripped out in about 30 min.

gotrocksgirl

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Female Posts: 35
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Learning to Crawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:52:30 PM »
Better get to work cause I want to go wheelin' ;) I'll be here to help anytime! :muscles:
Wheelin' Rig on the way!

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:56:29 PM »
 :headscratch:  Aren't you missing something in that 350/350 dual toy combo? I love it when my wife comes out to at least keep me company when I'm thrashing.
"between projects"

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2005, 11:59:08 PM »
NIce ass runner man. Also you are one lucky man. To have 3 good looking girls is something else. Plus you have 3 that like to wheel and one that is willing to work on them with you. They all must be a keeper!!
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2005, 12:04:29 AM »
:headscratch: Aren't you missing something in that 350/350 dual toy combo?

what am I missing?

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2005, 12:11:33 AM »
I only see 1 case in the pic.
"between projects"

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2005, 12:18:05 AM »
Oh no in the pic its not installed.  I have the adapter sitting in my shop waiting to be installed.  Unfortunatly its a AA adapter and not a marlin.  But my other one is a Marlin!!

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2005, 04:19:39 AM »
she is way to hot for you got rocks..Nice pics :usa: toys and the girls are keepers.. :biggthumpup:
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »
holy crap man, can i borrow alot of money to do that to? :laugh:

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2005, 09:48:13 PM »
well the nice thing is I already have almost every part I need, so i don't need to go out and buy really anything.  The 4runner will be a longer built but I plan on gettting my 90 up and running very quickly.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2005, 09:57:17 PM »
Here are some pics of my rigs I've had.

The 85 ex Cab on 35 bfg's

Runner on 37" Toyo MT's

My Jeep on 37" SSR's
My Yellow 83 on 40" truxus

86RockRunner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2005, 12:10:40 AM »
bad ass runner........the shovel tops it off for sure. haha

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2005, 08:24:31 AM »
Good luck with the engine swap.  Your 4-runner looks pretty clean :headscratch: ...Why is that?   

How did that 83' handle the 40's?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 20, 2005, 10:17:31 PM »
it did fine with the weber and 5.29's  I pulled 60 no problem on the road.  The engine had about 60,000 miles.  Sold it for 3000 to buy the runner.

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2005, 10:22:06 PM »
Damn your runner is nice. Did you do the whole build up??
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 21, 2005, 02:15:00 AM »
no unfortunatly I can't take the credit for the buildup  I have done quite a few things to it since I bought it but a the majority of how it looks right now was done before I bought it.  What I've done did was rebuilt a sad sagging suspension.  Rebuilt the front end, put marlins Hi Steer on it.  Moved the Steering box forward put new tires on, a NWOR header and 2.5 inch exhaust (big improvement on a tire engine with 235,000), replaced the rear 3rd with a V6 TRD locker and...I think thats it.  So yeah I guess I've done a few things to it.  It needed a little TLC

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 21, 2005, 07:10:09 AM »
Well I couldn't sleep much last night because I was so stoked about getting my rig up and running today.  I think I will be able to get it started and get the drivetrain in minus the driveshafts since they need to be adjusted for the duals.  Last night I was in my shop until about 1:40 or later working on my rig.  I was able to get the 22re back into place and started to get some wire hooked back up.  We'll see how this goes since this engine hasn't ran in over 2 years. 

Does anyone know how hard it is to change a timing chain?  Isn't it at the back between the firewall and block.  Should I've changed it before I put the engine back in?  How hard is it to replace one and what about replacing the cam.  I want a little more power like everone else does. 

What is the easiest way and cheapest for that matter of getting power out of a 22re?  I have a NWOR Header which I've been quite impressed with in my 4 runner and a K&N Air filter but besides that its stock.  Anyone wanna help me out on this one.

I'll post some pics later this afternoon or evening depending on where I'm at on putting the enigne in.

UNBREAKABLE

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Male Posts: 2,028
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Yeah, I guess you could say I'm a RockStar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2005, 01:39:57 PM »
Timing chain is at the front of the motor.
That's how I roll

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2005, 01:49:53 PM »
Nah the timing chain is in the front and shoudnt be too hard to change. If you going to do that then order up a cam and put it in there.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 21, 2005, 04:20:00 PM »
I was 99% sure I just wanted to be 100%.  Thanks.  What cam should I get?

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 21, 2005, 07:48:41 PM »
You made the mistake of posting your girlfriends picture.  She is is hot and we need more picture of her.  And also more pictures of your build-up just to stay ontopic.

gotrocksgirl

• Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Female Posts: 35
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Learning to Crawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:09:11 PM »
why thankyou, I'll tell him to post up more pics of his buildup
Wheelin' Rig on the way!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2005, 11:10:12 PM »
Well I got it running today!!!  I can't believe I was able to actually get it to turn over.  I'm not a engine guy and even though it was just plug and play I didn't think I'd be able to get it going this easily.  I'm having a problem though with the fuel system.  Somewhere its not pumping the gas or I have a a vacume leak.  If someone could tell help me trouble shoot this I'd really appreciate it.  I have all of the wires connected that I can find except for the wire loom that connects to the transmission and case, its at the end of that loom and I'm guessing it goes to the o2 censor since I can't find it near the header.  On my 87 RE its right next on the header.

Putting the engine in

i took the body lift off without a jack.  I had gotrocksgirl knock the pucks out while I lifed the cab up by hand.  I didn't think the body was that light.  Anyone know how much the body's way on the 3rd gen pickups?

Here is my crossmember after I painted it,

Before,

After,

I decided to repaint it because I know how it wouldn't stay that nice after it hit the trail

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 22, 2005, 11:14:56 PM »
Here's Gotrocksgirl sleeping.  I think I wore her after helping me until 2 a.m. the night before

Here's a couple pictures of my tranny.  It was pretty dirty when I pulled it out of the runner so I degreesed it and used the preasure washer before I put it in.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Aug 26, 2005, 07:38:27 AM »
well I haven't been able to work on my truck much this week.  I've been really busy working on my house.  Does anyone have any ideas why its not getting fuel.  When I took the truck apart earlier everything worked.  I thought I got everything connected agian so I dont' know why the fuel pump isn't working.  Can you hear the pump turn on when you turn the key on?

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Aug 26, 2005, 08:01:46 AM »
if your quiet, you can hear the pump cycle with the key in the on possition...shhhh, were hunting fuel pumps... :crazy: