Author Topic: does anyone tow the rig to the bush  (Read 4742 times)

trailhunter

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 205
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Canadians like to give'r
    • View Profile
does anyone tow the rig to the bush
« on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:05:30 AM »
im building a tow bar for my 4runner and i was wondering if i have to put regular truck insurance on it when i tow it on the steet. Ive heard that some guys take the rear drive shaft out and get trailor insurance.

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: does anyone tow the rig to the bush
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:10:21 AM »
?? um, get a temp permit?? or insure it as an off highway vehicle, is it green stickered??

trailhunter [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 205
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Canadians like to give'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:15:29 AM »
?? um, get a temp permit?? or insure it as an off highway vehicle, is it green stickered??

The thing is i dont want to get a temp permit because i plan on taking it out alot. And i dont want to pay $120 for insurance on something im only going to drive on the weekends.

As for the green sticker .......im way up here in canada, we dont use stickers we use magic markers. No but really i dont know what your green sticker is

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:38:46 AM »
The thing is i dont want to get a temp permit because i plan on taking it out alot. And i dont want to pay $120 for insurance on something im only going to drive on the weekends.

As for the green sticker .......im way up here in canada, we dont use stickers we use magic markers. No but really i dont know what your green sticker is
a green sticker is how we licence quads, motocycles, and other "off road" vehicles, igf you licence it that way, i dont think it needs to be insured, but in canada it may be different, makes freinds with somone at your department of motor vehicles and get him to tell you how to do it quikly and cheaply

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2005, 11:53:58 AM »
for sure take the rear shaft out,,and make sure your front hubs are unlocked,,as far as the ins question,,thats somthing you should ask your ins company..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2005, 09:54:23 PM »
I flat-tow my truck, definatly take out the rear driveshaft and unlock the front hubs. If you notice the t-case neutral position is between 4wd high and low so you would be towing it in 4wd if you don't. I have towed with it in on short runs but it tends to heat up the front axle and it will start puking gear oil out the vent. 25 to 50 miles would not hurt but anymore and it could start frying seals in the trans & t-case since everything will be spinning. Now if you have a crawler then I wouldn't flat-tow it at all without removing the rear ds. Not that I know it would do any damage, but I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. When I pull my rear ds I only take out the 4 rear bolts and pin it to the bottom of my bed with a chain a Masterlock. No reason for the Masterlock except when I set up the chain I has a spare Masterlock sitting there and figured it won't come loose. Sometimes I will just pull it out of the slip-yoke and put it in my bed, I have paint marks to line it back up when I reinstall it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2005, 09:59:25 AM »
I have flat towed my old toy on several hour trips with no problems at all,,but I did find that the best option to tow is trans in N and t-case in 2wd...seems the N position spun my front shaft in the N position when the back one turned,,so I just ran the case in 2wd,,and the trans in N and had no problems after that..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:33:25 AM »
I have flat towed my old toy on several hour trips with no problems at all,,but I did find that the best option to tow is trans in N and t-case in 2wd...seems the N position spun my front shaft in the N position when the back one turned,,so I just ran the case in 2wd,,and the trans in N and had no problems after that..

Never thought about leaving in 2wd, just the thought of all those gears spinning though. The only thing that would be a problem would be if the trans and tcase get lubrication when the trucks not running and all those gears are spinning, I know when I tow my Willys with the ds's in I have to stop every couple hours and fire it up and run it with the trans in gear and the tcase in neutral to lube the seals.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2005, 01:24:55 PM »
In Cali, if the rubber is touching the road, then it has to be registered as a legal, on road vehicle.  Even dollying it it has to be reg legit :headshake:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:14:01 AM »
In Cali, if the rubber is touching the road, then it has to be registered as a legal, on road vehicle.  Even dollying it it has to be reg legit :headshake:

Also in Cali you must have a brake system on your towed vehicle, that includes a breakaway braking system. Except if you have an endorsement on your license for towing vehicles without brakes, which I have. I can also tow unregistered vehicles upon a street or highway within the state.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »
Except if you have an endorsement on your license for towing vehicles without brakes, which I have. I can also tow unregistered vehicles upon a street or highway within the state.

:slap: rub it in why don't you :down:

:hahaha:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -