Author Topic: Lift and Shocks!!  (Read 3919 times)

YOguyDa

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
Lift and Shocks!!
« on: May 21, 2005, 10:04:40 PM »
Got my front springs in expecting 3" and got 5"....So, i figured 3" of negative rake would be ok for a limited time....But now its 5". lol. Looks ridiculous and i have no shocks on top of that. The last pic shows how it sits with the tires on...lol. Anyone have an ass lift for sale or an extra set of shocks lying around? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Also, i finished my brakes earlier this week....

http://ee.domaindlx.com/gemineyeboy/caliper3.JPG
http://ee.domaindlx.com/gemineyeboy/caliper6.JPG
http://ee.domaindlx.com/gemineyeboy/front%20end.JPG
http://ee.domaindlx.com/gemineyeboy/Backside.JPG
'86 2wd now...

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Lift and Shocks!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 10:16:08 PM »
Can I assume that your truck has stock rear springs?  I don't know where you are at, but sadly I gave away a full set of shocks yesterday to a local friend.  If you are trying to keep cost to a minimum, I would get an extended shackle and blocks to lift the rear end.

If your front is lifted 5 inches, expect them to sag at least 1/2 inch so I would suggest one of the following combinations:

(1) 3 inch blocks and 2 inch extended shackle (3 inch is the max reasonable lift block and Marlin sells 2 inch shackles.)
(2) 2 inch blocks and 2.5 inch extended shackles (less axle wrap, All Pro sells shackles this long.)

What brand of front springs do you have?
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 10:58:03 PM »
Yah, they're stock rear springs...Im in Sacramento, CA. The front springs are NWOR and stiff as hell...but its better than slamming my bumpstops on minor bumps with my old fagged out stock springs.

?2.5" Shackles + blocks + stock rear springs= damn near flat springs?  Any downsides of going with blocks and long shackles? Its just a daily driver/camping/fishing rig....
'86 2wd now...

chevyLUVtoyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 12:47:34 AM »
cant see the pics

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 01:04:53 AM »
I think my webhost server must be down....If they dont work tomorrow, i'll fix it.
'86 2wd now...

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 01:10:43 AM »
www.imageshack.com is the only way to go....
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 11:18:53 AM »
Long shackles help the rear drivetrain angle, but in my opinion long shackles make them easier to hit on rocks.  I have 2 inch extended shackles and I think that I will hit them much sooner than my old stock length ones.  Blocks greatly increase axle hop/wrap, but 3 inch blocks are not uncommon, in fact I used to have 3" blocks on my truck.  Most of the lift companies use blocks up to 3 inches for the entry level lifts.

If you are using your truck from normal type use and not trying to do the difficult type trails I would thing that you would be ok.  It all depends on the condidtion of you springs.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 11:27:52 AM »
You may grind your shackles here and there, blocks just plain scare me. On top of that shackles do greatly improve your 3rd angle and provide you with greater articulation, where as blocks just move the axle away from the springs for the added lift.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 12:57:04 PM »
Shackles dont look very difficult to make.....Anybody have any write ups or how to's?
'86 2wd now...

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »
I would hold off on getting upset yet.
From what info is out there, the NWOR springs tend ti be stiff, and pretty heavy duty.  You may settle more than the aforementioned 1/2 inch.  Get it all settled down and flex the front out a few times...maybe hit some trails.  Then measure again and see if they are starting to break in.  Don't panic yet!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 01:42:01 PM »
Hmmm how to make shackles....  But a length of 3/8x2" flat bar cut into 4 equal length pieces of whatever length youwish and drill holes in them for the bolts. :greengrin:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
Hmmm how to make shackles....  But a length of 3/8x2" flat bar cut into 4 equal length pieces of whatever length youwish and drill holes in them for the bolts. :greengrin:

.....and don't forget the spacers for the fronts.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 03:24:06 PM »
Shackles look and sound easy enough...lol. As for the front springs...I bought them used thinking they were 3" and got more....But i had future lift in mind, so this just makes the future the present and pushes me to get the rearend up to level.
'86 2wd now...

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 06:41:34 PM »
You may grind your shackles here and there, blocks just plain scare me. On top of that shackles do greatly improve your 3rd angle and provide you with greater articulation, where as blocks just move the axle away from the springs for the added lift.

I am not a fan of blocks, but the fact that most lift companies offer lift blocks up to 3" and many of the late model trucks come stock with fairly tall blocks I can't see how they would be dangerous which should be the main concern.  If the cash is available for new springs that is a better way to go, but in my case my custom springs were a little shorter than expected and I already have a long shackle so I am planning to run a short block to even the ride.

chevyLUVtoyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 489
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2005, 09:33:19 PM »
no pixs???

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 10:03:41 PM »
Ive been trying all day....My dial-up isnt cutting it. Ive joined a couple online photo album type places and both wont even load one pic.....Damn dial-up dinosaur! Im still trying tho.
'86 2wd now...

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 01:08:53 AM »
Im on my dads comp right now...With one of the fastest connections out there, and the pics work fine. :dunno:

Let me know...
'86 2wd now...

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 09:50:36 AM »
what ever you do dont get aluminum blocks espetialy if you have a locker in your rear end the aluminum ones will crush and get spit out

i learned that one  the hard way :_oops:

Reno Rich

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -236
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 02, 2005, 04:00:10 PM »
NWOR springs stay stiff almost forever. At least, my 4" rear's haven't sagged an inch in the 3 years I've had them. Really, they are still too firm to get much real articulation out of them.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 02, 2005, 07:56:49 PM »
They suck ass but you can get new procomp 4inch springs for $160.  another thing you could do is use a two or three inch add a leaf and then a 2inch block or an extended shackle
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 02, 2005, 11:06:42 PM »
what ever you do dont get aluminum blocks espetialy if you have a locker in your rear end the aluminum ones will crush and get spit out

i learned that one the hard way :_oops:

were they solid blocks or the auto parts store type?

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2005, 01:53:31 PM »
auto parts tipe  :gap: but im still never running blocks again with a locker in the rear just too much stress gets put on them a friend is running solid blocks in the rear with a spool and every time he starts to turn at low spead you can hear them making a poping sound as the shift on the spring perches :ack:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #22 on: Jul 04, 2005, 05:51:07 AM »
.....and don't forget the spacers for the fronts.
PROBLEM IS , LONGER shackles on the front actually increase your front pinion angle
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way