Author Topic: hybrid efi.....again  (Read 4266 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
hybrid efi.....again
« on: May 07, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
Well, here goes again.  So I have already done the hybrid thing in the 80 4by, albeit not modified, just 20r head on 22r block, but still want to go efi.  I'm not interested in cobbing efi off a different type of vehicle or using a throttle body. I have a wrecked 91 runner w/22re and will be using the intake and all efi stuff off it.  I am mainly lookin for anybody who has done this an easier way than the welding/grinding method.  My current thoughts are to make an adapter to bolt the intake plenum to the 20r head and make a new brace to the block, but wanna know if anyone has tried that yet. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: hybrid efi.....again
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 09:07:05 AM »
i havent tried it Nate but if you can TIG it can be done,  or just gasket match port the 20 head so the air/fuel flow doesnt get slowed down

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 05:52:25 PM »
i think you're gonna need to do some welding -- the bolt patterns are different.

easiest way would be to use a stock 20R manifold(or a offy manifold, better yet) and run a out of the box TBI package like the one weber sells.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 06:39:25 PM »
Ok, sorry, guess I shoulda been more specific.  I was figuring on doing a little gasket matching on the adapter so that no matter the difference in port shape the air would flow smoothly through, and just match either side as well as possible to help out too.  And again, I refuse to consider some other efi setup, ie throttle body, it's not a toyota setup.  I know it can be done without any welding and am hoping somebody has already tried it.  I've seen the hassle that goes with welding and don't wanna deal with it.  If it absolutely came down to that then I'd just slap on my holley 4bbl manifold and get the smallest holley truck avenger carb. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 08:17:17 PM »
talk to mrwillymammoth, he is all about that fab work and he could probably set you in the right direction. TIG is a hassle if you dont know what your doing but it would turn out the best. Now if I was going to do some TIG, I would fab up a header type intake runners with a aluminum or stainless intake plenum. Then the only restriction on flow is how much you can open up the intake side of the head. Sweet, but id sugest talkin to willy
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 07:29:05 AM »
yea but they are like 3000 miles apart  :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 11:27:29 AM »
Good point, if he lived close to me I'd have a purely non-homosexual crush on the guy...
RIP KYOTA

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 01:23:16 PM »
Somewhere on this marlincrawler web site used to exist a page of big mike's for his mr2.  I remember pictures of him machining an adapter to mate the 20 valve 4age intake (with four individual throttle bodies) to a standard 4age head.  talk to him and maybe he can send you those pics or point you in the right direction.

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 01:28:26 PM »
Also, D.O.A. racing engines claims to have a 20r EFI cylinder head.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 10:10:27 PM »
y'know, I'm glad you mentioned that.  I was gonna go to their site last night but spent way too much time on lc engineering's site and got too tired.  I knew one of them was supposed to have some kind of setup.  Thanks a bunch, I'm on my way there now.......
RIP KYOTA

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 08:34:40 AM »
Hey Nate-

An adapter would be a cool thing to have, just make sure that its not so long that the lower intake manifold interfers with the fender wall.

I built an adapter, as Jesse stated, for my MR2 last year. I think I've removed all of my pictures from my adapter, I'll have to check.. I built it on a regular verticle mill with a moveable table. My adapter was 3" long, about 1.5' long, and about 2.5x2.5 width/height. I didn't have to make it 3" long, but for my application I needed some distance to develop some velocity and to have some useable bottom end power. For you, just find out what is the shortest distance you can make it... I drove down to an aluminium scrap yard across town and found a 4"x3" piece that was about 3' long. I think I paid $60 for it, and it took me 3 1/2 weeks to finish it.

I've got the pics on my system that is still down at the moment, but once I get it rebuilt I'll post some pictures if you like

Cya
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 09:56:25 AM »
Seems to me that you could lay the two intake gaskets over each other to determine which hole are common and which are not. Then make a ~3/8" aluminum plate to adapt one bolt pattern to the other. The common holes will need longer bolts or studs. The bolts for the not common manifold side will need to be checked for length. Those not common in the head will need to be countersunk in the adapter.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 02:42:01 PM »
Good Call
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »
:headscratch:    something to chew on  , HMMMMMM

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 10:28:44 PM »
Seems to me that you could lay the two intake gaskets over each other to determine which hole are common and which are not. Then make a ~3/8" aluminum plate to adapt one bolt pattern to the other. The common holes will need longer bolts or studs. The bolts for the not common manifold side will need to be checked for length. Those not common in the head will need to be countersunk in the adapter.

Yupper, you're readin my mind.  My brother's made adapters for other toy car stuff and I never really paid much attention, but now wish I had.  When I get the time I'm gonna pull the efi intake and see what I'm lookin at.  If you wanna post up those pics on here BigMike go ahead, won't  bother me.  I've said before I think you and my brother did something very similar on you mister twos, but not sure how similar.  I might just try and pick up a spare plenum or two so's I don't hafta worry about buggerin up the good one.
RIP KYOTA

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 01:13:45 PM »
someone mentioned about DOA 20r efi head and i emailed them  the other day on a quote. $1500 BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang thats alot for a head, although it is complete. Anyone bought one of these yet??????????

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 10:41:49 PM »
Man, I could buy a whole lotta crack for $1500.  I'm sure I could build an adapter, do my lift, paint and bodywork and a buncha other stuff for that much. 
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
Or for that matter, I could take my parts to a competent machine shop, tell me what I want done and be outa there for way less still.....then bring on the strippers.......
RIP KYOTA

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 11:34:16 PM »

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 02:20:49 PM »
YES, FRICKIN YES!!!!  No offense to anybody else, but this is the stuff I was lookin for.  Cheers to the newbie for findin what I need :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA