Author Topic: Need opinion!!  (Read 2515 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Need opinion!!
« on: Apr 21, 2005, 02:03:03 PM »
 :help:  :help: I would like to get a toyota 4x4 with a straight axle.  The problem is I've never owned a toy, the only 4x that i've had for any serious amount of time is my 85 nissan 720 std cab longbox deluxe.  I've had it for ten years, and it's been a very good truck!  The only problems I've had, had been self inflicted.  But, it's time for something that has ground clearance, tired of hanging up on the transfer case.  Here's what I'm wondering; of the straight axle toys which one would be the best to start with?  I'm not going to be stump jumping it, or serious rock crawling.  I live within eyesight of the mountains and ocean. There are alot of old logging roads that are out of repair that a straight axle with some flex would easily navigate!   And my sons are getting old enough to enjoy riding in the woods, and go to Sandlake.  And what are the pro's or con's to having a 4runner?  I would prefer having a p/u, but?  I would be willing to get a canopy.  And if I were to go look at a truck for sale, what areas would I need to look at to determine the condition of the vehicle, basically what are the weak areas:
 i.e. frame, spring hangars, how to tell is axle is bent, if a case is cracked where would it be, what sounds to listen for, etc!!
 I would appreciate any feedback on this!  This is just me doing my research, I don't plan on doing this right now, because we need a bigger car first!  If mommy is happy everybody is happy!!   Thanks for your input!!

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Need opinion!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2005, 02:08:11 PM »
well you can try to get the best of both worlds by getting I believe an '85 pickup.  some had 22res' and  they also had the SA.   There are some good threads on what to look for in used vehicles on the board, and mabye some of them will pop up in a search.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
well you can try to get the best of both worlds by getting I believe an '85 pickup.  some had 22res' and  they also had the SA.   There are some good threads on what to look for in used vehicles on the board, and mabye some of them will pop up in a search.

Here ya go, lots of engine talk, but some stuff about buyin, and what to look for

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9368.30
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

LA_Fred

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 228
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2005, 02:49:30 PM »
Don't waste any time trying to find a SA 85 efi! Good luck, they are rare and usually have high prices. I actually had an 85 efi truck(efi only on the sr5 models). You also don't save much money over a SAS anyways, especially if you plan on building up the truck. If you want a trail rig, you can find lots of good deals on already built rigs, there are some 4runners and tricks on pirate4x4.com. If you want more of a daily driver/weekend warrior for moderate trails, then IFS might be ok with you. You can always SAS later. Just my .02
1989 x-cab V6, SAS, Marlin dual ultimate crawler, dual arbs, high pinion, 35 mtr's, hot brunette in passenger seat.

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2005, 03:29:29 PM »
I have an 85 4Runner, and would recommend it without hesitation. Sort-of hard to find these days, but they're out there. If your not in a hurry, just keep an eye out, and eventually one will show up. A IFS would probably work well for you also, since your not planning any "extreme" stuff, and can be built fairly well.

You could also consider a FJ60/70/80 Landcruiser. Most have a solid axle and they are very stout. Problem is parts tend to be a bit more $$.

Having kids myself, I would be hesitant to recommend a pick-up, just because of the seating issue. 4Runners are great because you can fit the family and all the *stuff* that goes with. I wouldn't want my kids bouncing around in the back of a truck (even if there were seats...)

Just my  :twocents: Hope it helps.

Erik  :beerchug:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2005, 04:09:55 PM »
I have an 86 4runner.  I have some seriuos  :respekt:  for toyotas, they are some tough trucks.    I got my 4runner for $500 It has some body damage but I had a Small budget to spend.  It has 241,033 Miles and runs like a champ.  Would not recomend another vehicle over a toyota for a cheap tough off road capable machine.  I got a 4-runner so i could bring my girl along with us boy's when we go wheelin. :thumbs:

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2005, 04:15:44 PM »
Forget buying an 85 EFI, those suck. :gap:

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2005, 01:44:11 AM »
Thanks for excellent inputs, I'm a big fan of four bangers and webber carbs, I don't want to get into efi, just more crap to go wrong!  I've never had problems running a webber in some of the steep roads we have in my neck of the woods!  I just love webbers, They ROCK!!!!  As for the ifs, I'm tired of the cv joints and torsion bars, by going to a sas, I know I will sacrifice on road drivability. Hell, it takes me a year to rack up 5,000 miles on my truck, so I'm not worried about how it will ride.  If I were to look at getting a ifs truck, I would just keep driving my piss-on until it dies!  What I like is a sas toyota with a 4" suspension lift and some 33" tires.  I used to work at Les Schwab and installed alot of lifts.  Ifs costs alot more and more things to go wrong (I've seen alot of come backs due to parts shifting, breaking or bending etc.) and a leaf spring lift is alot cheaper, tougher and less things to go wrong!  As for the early 80's landcruisers, very cool rides, but like you said very expensive to work on, I know cause a buddy has a very cool one!
 I love reading everybodies comments, and I'm learning alot from them! Thank you again for your opinions!!!  8)  :thumbs:  As a matter of fact my wife's cousin is married to Dean Tyler, who works for   :turtle:  , and he's the one who got me hooked onto this site!!  So it's all his fault!!   

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2005, 01:53:19 AM »
Get a rig that has sound mechanicals period.  Wether it has ifs or efi whatever you can find and can afford go for it.  If you can find a good deal on an ifs rig with efi get it and do a sas.  It isnt hard to do by any means and it is actually cheaper to build including the price of doing an sas.  Dont be affraid of efi either.  My 90 is the first 4x4 Ive owned that has it and I have had absolutely 0 issues with it.  I was actually planning on putting a carbed engine into this truck if the efi engine didnt run but of course it did, so away it went.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2005, 03:19:35 AM »
I have had all my toyotas at sandlkae at one time or another..every one was fun there and got around better then most rigs..Only down fall to a 4runner is more weight and more sheet metal to damage on the trail,,,but the up side is its fun to drive,,top comes off and lots of room..As a matter of fact i know where a runner is for around 1500,,not sure of the body condition,,,in oregon,,runs,drives,,just herd about it today,,can get ya more info if ya want it..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2005, 11:26:38 AM »
I have had all my toyotas at sandlkae at one time or another..every one was fun there and got around better then most rigs..Only down fall to a 4runner is more weight and more sheet metal to damage on the trail,,,but the up side is its fun to drive,,top comes off and lots of room..As a matter of fact i know where a runner is for around 1500,,not sure of the body condition,,,in oregon,,runs,drives,,just herd about it today,,can get ya more info if ya want it..

I would love to get something right now!!  BUT!!  By my screen name you can tell where I work??!!??!!  We are in the middle of union contract negotiations, our contract ends may 31st!  So, all the money I have right now is set aside for if we go on strike!!  And the wife doesn't work in the summer (school district)!!  I just want to pick out what I want and then watch and wait till the right one comes along!!  Thanks!! :D 

Rockdiver

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -118
  • Male Posts: 671
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2005, 07:40:31 PM »
Hey Minisimp   How can you say 85 EFI suck  I have one I live in Calif  Cant go webbers here for smog reasons . My Truck Moves right along passing the carb models that my coworkers drive, I can pull a steep grade at 60 and still get over 15 MPG.  I plan on getting the EFI From a 94 Toy so to have bigger TB and even More umph.