Author Topic: Pan Hard Rod ?  (Read 2301 times)

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Pan Hard Rod ?
« on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:03:10 PM »
:idea:     I was thinking about a Pan Hard Rod and how it works.  Would it limit your travel?  Because as your axle moves upward under compression the Pan Hard Rod hast to move outward as it moves up therefore it has to push your axle out to one side.

I can see it wouldn't hurt you if you were flexing on something because as one end of the axle moves up the other and moves down or stays in one position allowing the axle to have the play needed to compress or DE-compress the Pan Hard Rod.

I know that the play is minimal but still the slightest bit can make a world of difference in some cases.  In theory if it were a light rig  rather than limiting the travel it would make the rig pull side to side as you go over bumps at high speeds.  But if it were a heavy rig rather than letting the axle move side too side it would make a harsher ride and possibly if the mounting point was not made strong enough, it could brake or bend what ever it was mounted to.        :dunno:           

Again I am not sure if these facts are true and if it makes a deference in travel,  I just started thinking and this is what I came up with to question, I am not saying a Pan Hard Rod is a good or bad thing I was just thinking :headscratch:         

Any comments would be appreciated!  :thumbs:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Re: Pan Hard Rod ?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2005, 08:59:53 PM »
Most people that make custom suspensions with pan hard bars make them level with the body/axle.  So it will have equal amount of up travel and down travel.  If it is level then it won't have much side to side movement of the axle/body when it is compressed or extended.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2005, 10:10:49 PM »
Yup, that's why you also see them running from one side to the other in order to make the rod as long as possible to minimize this effect.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

whiteman [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:56:58 PM »
   :headscratch:      How would they make the rod level with the body or axle.  Do they use a drop mount from the frame or a raised mount from the axle?
I have never seen it done like that.       ???     Thanks for the input guy's  ;)

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:59:11 PM »
exactly!  :thumbs:
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2005, 07:04:48 PM »
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2005, 08:09:28 AM »
Usually you don't want the panhard rod exactly level. It should have a slight downward slope towards the axle hsg. Very little street driving involves much droop, but quite a bit involves compression. The idea behind the slight slope is to maximize the 'sweet spot' of the rod's arc. In that sweet spot the rod will have very little lateral deflection for the amount of verticle travel.

Also note that if you're thinking to use one on the front suspension that your draglink and the panhard rod need to travel in arcs that are both similar in radius and similar in starting and stopping points. Otherwise it will have bumpsteer.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite