Author Topic: OC4Play (Orange County 4 Play)  (Read 171 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
OC4Play (Orange County 4 Play)
« on: Apr 28, 2024, 07:23:45 AM »
Since I recently joined OC4Play and was almost immediately thrown into the VP position, I kinda think it was because on one of my 1st runs with them I steered them onto Doran Canyon in Calico. Don't let me decide which way to go just because I know the area. I think they want to get a feel for a new member to see who they are. Anyways I warned them before hitting it, with the thought that they would either boot me out or make me their leader which they tried to make me president but I figured I can better serve them as VP. So currently we are a little lite on members and I would like to build the membership roles.

Welcome to our slightly dysfunctional off-roading family. First, a bit of history: Orange County 4-Play (OC 4-Play) is one of the oldest and longest-running off-road enthusiast clubs in Southern California. Founded back in 1986 by a few like-minded people, Orange County 4-Play is a family-orientated club dedicated to exploring the back-roads, trails and off-the-beaten paths of California and beyond. We've expanded our original charter from strictly off-road events to include expedition camping, geo-cache adventures, and exploring open-use areas and parks. We foster a friendly environment where we help each other both in and outside of club functions.

OC 4-Play is a member of Cal 4Wheel, the club's off-road advocate group, officially known as the California Association of 4WD Clubs (https://cal4wheel.com). Cal 4Wheel helps keep our trails open from both overzealous conservationism as well as state and federal encroachment. Should you choose to join the club, part of your annual dues goes towards Cal 4Wheel; the benefit is that you'll become a full member of that organization too. Additionally, we are also active members of the San Bernardino Forest Service Adopt-A-Trail program ( http://sbnf-adopt-a-trail.com) and sponsor our own trail, commonly known as White Mountain. At least twice a year, as a club we venture out to 3N11 (Wright Mine), 3N11A (Wright Mine Saddle), 3N17 and 3N17A (White Mountain) and remove fallen trees, debris, trash and even illegal camp fire rings, all to promote a positive, responsible "Tread Lightly" face of four wheeling.

JOINING THE CLUB IS SIMPLE
Own a 4 wheel drive vehicle.
Attend two monthly club meetings in a 12 month period.
Use your vehicle in two club runs in a 12 month period.
Lead a run (not a requirement but helpful to show off your skills)
Pay annual member dues and new member fee.

We require that all potential members participate in two monthly meetings (you'll find the meeting dates and location on our Facebook page). After all, we want to get to know you, and I'm sure you'll want to know what you've gotten yourself into!

You need to participate in two official OC 4Play trail runs. Once on the run, we respectfully request that you follow the direction of your run leader (AKA Trail Boss), respect the trail, take all trash out with you, and do not consume alcohol before or while on the run (this include any lunch breaks). We understand that it may take more than two runs for someone to decide if they want to commit to the club, and we completely understand that.

Club Meeting Day:
Wednesday of the month at 7PM

Club Meeting Location:
Rodrigo's Mexican Grill
15101 Goldenwest Street
Huntington Beach, CA

Head to the back of the room. We are usually there at 6PM to have dinner.

Club Website:
http://oc4play.org (Be aware the meeting location on the website is wrong)

Club Calendar:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/1?cid=b3JhbmdlY291bnR5NHBsYXlAZ21haWwuY29t

Primary Club Contact: orangecounty4play@gmail.com

Club Officers:

Primary Club Contact: Lou - President
Primary Club Contact: Emaillgosborne9262@hotmail.com

Primary Club Contact: - Vice President
Primary Club Contact: ronrocksurfer@gmail.com

« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 11:01:04 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,238
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: OC4Play (Orange County 4 Play)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2024, 08:03:49 AM »
LOL... Wow... this post brings back some memories around 1987.

I was a member of the OC4P.

I honestly don't remember a lot of the events, trail runs, or the meetings... it was about 47 years ago.

However, I do remember my first time I went on a trail run with the club.
It was TruckHaven.  I vividly remember there were about a dozen vehicles.
I was driving my 1986 Longbed, automatic. 
I had a front diff limited slip (I don't think a locker was available at time for the front diff).
I had Detroit Locker in the rear.
When we all stopped at a spot off -highway.  I got out and thought that we were going to air down our tires.
Well.. I starting airing down, and I noticed no one else was airing down their tires?
And, there were some guys watching me. I'm thinking "What do they know that I don't about this area?"
I had already been ALL over that area, including multiple trips to Anza Borrego, Death Valley, and the Glamis Sand Dunes.
At that time I did not have an air tank or onboard air compressor, so my normal air down PSI was from 25 to 15 PSI, so I could drive on the highway until I could air'd back up.

After all these years, I still have my OC4P t-shirt.  Look closely at the back of the Jeep. :slap:

I always wondered who the artist was that created T-shirt.... I've never seen duelies on the rear end of a Jeep? :dunno:

"Welcome to our slightly dysfunctional off-roading family."   :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:

« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2024, 04:24:58 AM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: OC4Play (Orange County 4 Play)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 06:44:36 AM »
That's an awesome T, when I was with Spinnin4s we'd go out with OC4Play and I loved it. I wish they'd go back to the original Logo like that one.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you