Author Topic: Need help with R150F  (Read 353 times)

nathanroyse

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Member since Mar '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Need help with R150F
« on: Mar 30, 2023, 11:41:03 AM »
Im a regular on the Toyota 4Runner forum but was told that this is the place to get answers about Toyota transmissions. I recently manual swapped my '00 4Runner SR5 4WD (A340F -> R150F) and am experiencing some issues that I haven't seen before. Given this is my first manual car they may be normal but I just want to make sure. Here's what I have done so far:

- R150F out of a '99 4Runner SR5 4WD
- 75w-90 gear oil (2x flushes)
- AISIN clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing from Yotashop (CKT-040)
- LUK flywheel from Yotashop (LFW199)
- Genuine Toyota master cylinder (31410-35310)
- Duralast slave cylinder w/ new soft line (this was all that was available at the time)
- New OEM clutch petal spring and bushings (90949-03022, KIT-1028)
- Shifter seat and bushing (KIT-1061)
- URD Short throw shifter kit

That being said, here's what i'm experiencing: When driving normally everything seems to be working as normal. It feels a little tough to get into the gears, especially 1st gear but I just relate that to the short throw shifter. The thing that I can't seem to figure out is the vibration/grind in the clutch petal when shifting at 3,500rpm and above. I'm aware that I have 1 or more bad bearings inside the transmission since there is a really loud whine on startup mostly when the car is cold. Immediately goes away when the clutch is pressed in. Input shaft bearing I think? Would that be enough to cause that sort of vibration? I also get slight vibration if I just rest my foot on the clutch petal, enough pressure to get rid of the slack in the petal but not to engage the clutch at all. Vibration goes away when the clutch is pressed in. So, the next thing on my list was to replace the bearings in the transmission. I found this kit https://cobratransmission.com/toyota-r150-r151-bearing-gasket-and-seal-kit-50047001-1 on Cobra Transmissions website but it only really specifies that its for the R151F transmission. Would this kit also work with my transmission since they're pretty much the same? Will continuing to drive it like this harm the transmission? Do I need to replace the input shaft as well?

Also, this is more on the computer side of problems but when I start my car in the morning it seems to idle really high. Sometimes above 1,600rpm all the way up until its fully warm. I live in southern California so its not like its extremely cold out either. I've cleaned my IAC valve and replaced the gasket recently too. Along with the high idle I also get intermittent rpm flocculation when coasting in neutral. Sometimes if I put the car in neutral when coasting down a hill it will stay at the rpm that I took it out of gear at. If I blip the throttle it usually goes back down to normal. I have the correct manual ecu and sensors I believe, no CEL and all systems are ready.

Please, any input helps as I am new to all of this. Thank you guys