Author Topic: 2002 4Runner 2WD , 5ZFE Automatic -> R150 Manual swap questions.  (Read 1651 times)

aussiebobaustin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have posted the same subject in the 4Runner specific section.

I am looking for a R150 manual transmission to purchase and send to Marlin Crawler to be "reconditioned".

I am not sure how to purchase a used R150  that will  satisfy the quality requirements for Marlin  Crawler to do the standard "reconditioning".

Also ,  I have the Toyota clutch/pedal  kit and Master Clutch Cylinder installed and am working on the first clutch hydraulic line. 

I plan to defer the ECU / Wire Harness till I have the mechanical work done.  I have an article from Hackaday which is a write up of a "dummy" Automatic transmission to fake out the ECU that the original transmission is still present ... I could do this but have read that there are still some engine,  (5ZFE), performance issues isfthe original ECU is running with a manual transmission .... is this correct ?

Finally should I  consider just going for the R150F  4WD , which means front axle and diff also ? If I did this I am know the front differential must match the rear differential else bad things will happen ... Would one measure the rear differential ratio manually then seek a front differential  with the matching ratio ?

Thanks in Advance,  Bob.

aussiebobaustin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I found out something that the 2002  3.4l 4Runner didn't come out with a 2WD manual ( R150 ) only 4WD manual ( R150F ).... so what do I send into Marlin Crawler as a core ?  I believe the R150 was on Tacoma around 2002 ... Should I get a reasonable 3.4l Tacoma R150 and send that in as my core ? 

Also where is some confusion on the input shaft length  .  How  can I tell what input shaft length my 2002 3.4l 4Runner needs  ?
I can remove the existing automatic ... and measure from the plane of the back of the engine , ( front of the bell housing ), to the bearing is what takes supports the input shaft near the flywheel ?

Thanks,  Bob.

aussiebobaustin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I think the problem is as follows and need to get some counsel.

The 2002 4Runner 3.4l never came with a R150 ( RWD ) manual transmission.
The R150 around 2000 time frame came with the  Tacoma,  Tundra and T100 ... but most I have seen are for the 3.0l engine.
The 3.0l engine bell housing seems to have the starter motor on the driver side ... but my  5VZFE has the starter motor on the drivers side.
I am afraid that the input shaft length of the R150 with the 3.0l  will not be compatible if I try to swap in the 3.4l bell housing ...

Does anyone have experience with the R150  from the 3.0l engine which is from the Tacoma , Tundra or T100 ?

aussiebobaustin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Since the 2002 / Gen3 4Runner didn't come with a R150 but did with the R150F,  I am wondering if I can purchase a R150F and remove the Transfer case and add the back of the R150 to the R150F  ? ( or get Marlin Crawler to do the same while they are refurbishing it... where "it" is the resulting "R150" to send back to me ).

I assume output shafts may have compatibility issues as it has been mentioned before when someone wanted to convert their R150 to a R150F.  Thanks in Advance.

boredmuse

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

aussiebobaustin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The second phase of my Automatic -> Manual Transmission swap will be to swap out the Automatic ECU and engine  wire harness with a Manual ECU and matching engine wire harness.   

Question 1: Does anyone have suggestions on where I get the ECU and matching wire harness ?  As I understand it the last Gen3 4Runner with a R150 (RWD) was 2000 and my 4Runner is 2002.

Question 2: I will need to synch up the VIN and current odometer reading  to the new ECU ... is this difficult ?

Thanks,  Bob.

aussiebobaustin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
my 4Runner has a 5ZFE 3.4L 6 cylinder engine.