Author Topic: w56-b no.2 clutch hub - where to find one?  (Read 1950 times)

arifyn

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
w56-b no.2 clutch hub - where to find one?
« on: Mar 15, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »
I have a w56-b that has a cracked 3-4 slider hub ("no.2 clutch hub" according to the service manual, 33362-22020). I tore the transmission down to rebuild myself and aside from that and the input shaft, the trans is in fantastic shape, so I'd like to just replace the part.

Problem is I haven't been able to source one. Haven't found any decent junkyard w55/w56s to pilfer it from yet, and the part is, of course, NLA from Toyota. There's a newer version of the hub from the later w56 transmissions (33362-30051) but I don't know if it's interchangeable (and, although it's supposedly still available from Toyota, I haven't actually been able to find one in stock due to the current supply chain issues)

This is my first time dealing with a Toyota/Aisin transmission (I'm used to 4-speed VW transaxles) so although I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to work on, I'm also pretty stuck on the clutch hub thing.

So, two questions for any experts out there:

- how standard are the dimensions of the no.2 clutch hub across the different W series transmissions and years? If I can find it, would the one from a later w55/w56 work? It looks the same aside from using a different kind of spring to engage the keys, but I don't have one on hand to confirm that the inner splines/width/etc. are the same. What about the w58 &w59? They all use the same input shaft, so I assume there's at least a chance...

- especially if the other models *don't* interchange, any other suggestions on where to source one of these?

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

arifyn [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: w56-b no.2 clutch hub - where to find one?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2022, 12:15:57 PM »
I appreciate the suggestion, but toyotapartsdirect does not actually have this in stock, even though they claim to on the site. Same for the newer w56 hub. They'll just say it's NLA or backordered at their supplier with no ETA and then cancel the order.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2022, 12:24:21 PM »
I appreciate the suggestion, but toyotapartsdirect does not actually have this in stock, even though they claim to on the site. Same for the newer w56 hub. They'll just say it's NLA or backordered at their supplier with no ETA and then cancel the order.

Are you near placerville ca. If so I'm sure I have a spare w series trans for parts.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Male Posts: 943
  • Member since Jan '14
  • What is this Toyota you speak of?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2022, 01:01:27 AM »
Tried Transtar? They do stuff for manuals as well as autos..
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Refusing to fit in or comply.

Easy is not worth anything.

Show me a home where the UZ's roam.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile

arifyn [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2022, 08:47:20 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried all the transmission distributors and they have trouble sourcing this part as well. The guy from Midwest said that their solution is to just start over with a different transmission. So I will just keep looking for an affordable donor (I'm in southern AZ).

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
Have you contacted Tim at https://tcr2auto.com/contact-us/

It's a long shot, but he might know a source.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2022, 01:42:37 PM »
Have you contacted Tim at https://tcr2auto.com/contact-us/

It's a long shot, but he might know a source.

Nice to see a local guru chime in..

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2022, 05:15:01 PM »
I've an idea, but will need till next week to find out

arifyn [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2022, 12:53:24 PM »
thanks all for your suggestions.
  still no luck finding the proper part (or another good transmission that's not way out of my price range).

I have discovered that the newer version of the hub (again, used in the w56 from the 90's but not the '87 I have) does physically fit on the older w56 shaft.

I'm not sure whether using it is a good idea, though: it has one big difference that I don't really understand. Instead of having full splines on the inside, it has three equally spaced groups of splines and three flat spots. I don't know if the newer w56 shaft is fully splined (in which case I don't understand why Toyota did this, but it probably doesn't matter) or if it matches the layout of the hub (in which case it might be much weaker if mounted on the early shaft).

A photo would probably help explain, but I'm too much of a newbie on this forum to be allowed to post pictures. Eventually...

Gnarly4X

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2022, 03:48:47 AM »
Can you post a link from https://imgur.com/    ???

I assume you have spoken to Marlin or Big Mike about this??  :dunno:

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2022, 10:24:32 AM »
thanks all for your suggestions.
  still no luck finding the proper part (or another good transmission that's not way out of my price range).

I have discovered that the newer version of the hub (again, used in the w56 from the 90's but not the '87 I have) does physically fit on the older w56 shaft.

I'm not sure whether using it is a good idea, though: it has one big difference that I don't really understand. Instead of having full splines on the inside, it has three equally spaced groups of splines and three flat spots. I don't know if the newer w56 shaft is fully splined (in which case I don't understand why Toyota did this, but it probably doesn't matter) or if it matches the layout of the hub (in which case it might be much weaker if mounted on the early shaft).

A photo would probably help explain, but I'm too much of a newbie on this forum to be allowed to post pictures. Eventually...

I picked up a parts transmission a little while back. It's buried in my parts bin. I'll dig it out this week. If it has the part you need, I'd be more then happy to send your way.

arifyn [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
I can't do attachments or inline images yet but for some reason it didn't occur to me I could just post links.

here's my old sad broken hub:
https://imgur.com/a/5IOqFAE

Here's the new-style hub, you can see the splines present only in three areas:
https://imgur.com/a/SXipDHn

you can also see a flat surface on the new hub vs. flange on the old one, but this is due to the change in spring design and shouldn't be a problem - they end up being the same thickness overall.
I'm still puzzled why Toyota moved away from full splines, but I'm sure there's either a reason that actually makes it stronger *or* they deliberately weakened it so that it would fail under stress in a less destructive way than mine did.

Didn't talk to Marlin or BigMike since I figured they have better things to do these days than answer questions for free, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Unfortunately this thing is one of the last pieces that you can pull off the output shaft once it's out of the transmission, so you basically have to tear the whole thing down for a rebuild before you find out if it's good (unless there's some clever way to pull the input shaft without disassembling the rest of the transmission - if so, let me know the trick). So unless you've already got a w56 in pieces it's probably too much of a pain for anyone to send me just the part.

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jan '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2022, 12:35:36 AM »
I see the cut out pockets are radiused  on the later one, gets rid of the stress risers where the old one broke. I suspect the less splines maybe for better oil control and you can see the hardening thats been done at the bottom of the inner splines.
Is that the part number tge original supercedes to?

arifyn [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '22
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
according to Toyota the new hub is only officially compatible with the 90's w56 - it does not supersede or interchange with the 80's hub.
that said, it obviously fits, so the question is why doesn't Toyota approve it? is it because there's an actual problem? or too hard to explain you'd also need to replace the springs and clutch keys?

the newer output shaft was redesigned a bit (new needle bearing for 3rd gear, not sure what else). Maybe they changed it somehow to accommodate the new hub design? shaft is fully splined on both, though.

or maybe I'm just overthinking this. I can always just slap it on and see what happens, the only thing I really have to lose is my time and sanity...

Cjdave72

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 15, 2023, 01:42:00 PM »
I am having same issue with broke 3-4 clutch hub. Did you ever figure it out?  Any other ideas from ANYBODY!?