Author Topic: pulling transmission  (Read 4460 times)

TOYJOETA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 209
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
pulling transmission
« on: Apr 14, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »
     I know I will probly get flamed for this :ack: , but I finally got my R-151 from the salvage yard, and am in the process of putting it in, the question i have is do i need to support the rear of the engine while the tranny is out, and if so what is the best means to do so, I am doing it in my garage, and don't have a tranny jack, to drop the tranny so I am going to get a couple of really good friends to help.

any other advice would be greatly appriciated!

thanks
joe
Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: pulling transmission
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:00:28 PM »
nah you wont get flamed, for supporting the motor you might have to and you might not first off look in between the fire wall and the rear of the motor and see if there is any thing that can get squished. do you have a normal rolling floor jack? if you do then take some blocks and put them on top of the jack and jack up the tranny just enouph to take the wieght off of it then un bolt the cross member then have some one else watch the motor and the area between the fire wall and the rear of the head wile you slowly lower the jack if it doesnt hit the fire wall then your fine if it does than you might still be okay just use your judge ment to tell how much pressure it is putting on the fire wall as long as theres nothing in the way that gets pinched or squiched it should be fine. if you have a cherry picker or a hoist then you can hook to to the rear of the motor and support it like that. if your gunna take the tranny out by hand i would suggest taking the t-case of first then the tranny that way you dont have to lift as much weight.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:03:48 PM »
You shouldn't need to support it, but i guess it doesn't hurt to support it.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2005, 09:44:42 PM »
don't bother, just watch the fan on the rad.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2005, 07:00:10 AM »
don't bother, just watch the fan on the rad.

Yup, never had a problem with the motor, just make sure the tranny is sopported when you unbolt the crossmember...
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2005, 09:17:12 AM »
thanks for the input huys hopefully I get it in this weekend
There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't. Which are you?

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2005, 06:23:05 PM »
Got a problem, I got every thing unbolted, but can't get the tranny out, it will only seperate about a 1/4 of an inch from the engine, except fot the top, and yes I got the two bolts out that are there, the only thing I can think of doing is dropping the rear of the tranny assembly as far down as possible, do you think this is a good idea? :headscratch: ,it wont F-up any thing right.  Oh ya I rented a tranny jack to.  lot better than trying to lower it by hand. :hammerhead:

Thanks
JOE

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2005, 06:28:21 PM »
ya try wut ever u can to get it out, dont drop the tranny to far down, but u have to do sum fanagaling N :pokinit: to get it out, talk dirty to it, that always helps
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2005, 06:56:10 PM »
lower it on the jack then get a big blade screw driver and make it come out.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2005, 09:07:37 AM »
if all the tranny bolts are out ad your slave cylinder is out of the way the only thing that could be holding it would be the pilotbearing,  just pry it out, and make sure you install a new pilot bearing
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:31:53 AM »
Well got the W-56 out, just had to do a little bit of prying, havn't put the R-151 in yet. 

Does some one know if the pivot point on the clutch fork should be adjusted for use with a w-56 clutch and slave cylinder?

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:43:18 AM »
no i dont think it should
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:34:40 PM »
:nonono:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2005, 04:47:05 PM »
Next time You take out the tranny just use a couple tie downs at each end thru the shifter hole in the cab, lower out the old one, then just pull it up thru when ya put the new one in. Works great  :thumbs:

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 18, 2005, 09:03:12 PM »
You guys are probly getting sick of this, but now I can't get the R-151 to line up, the tranny jack i got is a POS, and I cant get the tranny to sit on it right to line up the hole, so tomarrow I am going to pick up some longer bolts and use them as guides to line it up better or is this a  :nonono:,

Next time You take out the tranny just use a couple tie downs at each end thru the shifter hole in the cab, lower out the old one, then just pull it up thru when ya put the new one in. Works great  :thumbs:
could you explain this a little more in detail maybe this might work better.

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Apr 18, 2005, 09:29:02 PM »
if your just going to use them as gides, ok butt be very very carful. and NEVER use them to pull the trans into place.  push by hand.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:35:00 PM »
this is why i always  remove the tcase befor installing trany,  but yea wiggle and push,  did you use the alignment tool when  installing the clutch or did you remove the clutch,  you really should replace it and the pilot bearing when tranny is out

what i have done in the past with full size truck trannies toy trannies only weigh 100lbs give or take :smack:  wimps

anyway  i use a 2 inch ratchet strap toss, it over the cab andsecure inside right above tranny shifter,      then another smaller strap thru the shifter hole and around the tranny,   if the seat is out a small hand wich works really good

i have taken one fork off a forklift and a big chain but that was on a 12 speed mack tranny

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Apr 19, 2005, 04:53:12 PM »
quote author=toyjoeta link=topic=10533.msg107830#msg107830 date=1113883392]
could you explain this a little more in detail maybe this might work better.

First you want to do it with the tranny separate from the t-case
With the trany sitting on the ground under the truck, use two tie downs or ropes or what ever you have that will work
Tie one end of one tie down to one end of the tranny, then tie one end of the other tie down to the other end of the tranny.
Have one person in the cab with the other ends of the tie downs, That person pulls the tranny up through the hole in the floor for the shifter - NOTE: this only works in a manual-  The other person will be undernieth the truck aligning the tranny and pushing it into place. 
Once the tranny is into place and a few bolts are in the person in the cab can get remove the tie downs and the bolt you transfer case up an do every thing in revers of taking it out and you should be fine.   :thumbs: 

I did this in my friends chevy with a 4" lift when we put a rebuilt np-435 4spd in it. We did it with the tranny seperate.  It can require some muscle, The last thing you want is the person pulling up the tranny dropping it on you or worse,  :scared:  on the ground cracking it or somthing  :nonono: .   I advise putting blocks under the tanny as it is lifted up so the person can set it on blocks if a break is  :beer:  is needed.  WE did not think of this but luckily nothing went wrong.
 This also makes as a great trail fix if a clutch goes out.   :yupyup:

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2005, 08:23:52 PM »
Well fellas finally got it in, what I did after 4-5 hours of effing with the POS tranny jack, I got two of my cousins and we put the tranny and t-case under the truck, my cousins were on either side of the tranny with their heads to the tranny and I laid under the front axle then we lifted the tranny and t-case up, they held it in place while I lined it up, and it slip right in, then while they were still holding it I put three bolts in and hooked up the crossmember. only took us 2-3 minutes.  still haven't finished, but it is in there. 

Thanks for all of the help guys, that is why I love this board you guys are always willing to help people out with their problems.

:beer: all around on me!

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2005, 04:31:25 PM »
  :thumbs:   Good job.  I'll enjoy that  :beer: ....... :boozer: :party:

TOYJOETA [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2005, 09:07:04 PM »
YAAAHHH, I fianally got her drivable, all thats left is making a new cover for the tranny tunnel in the cab, I plan on making it out of some smaller gauge Aluminum, and using some caulking strips to seal it, because right now I don't have any thing and I have an exhaust leak right there, so I have to drive with the windows down.  :smoke:

Late
Joe