Author Topic: Need some advice...Trying AllProOffroad 4in Long travel lift  (Read 2380 times)

CliffordYota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
So I have settled on throwing some Allpro 4in springs under my 81 pickup, they seem like they will fit my driving style. I expect to be cutting and re-welding new spring hangers and shackle mounts in new positions to accommodate the leaf springs, but does anyone have an Idea of how far I would need to mount the spring hanger forward and or shackle hanger back? I want to get a good Idea of where to weld the new hangers before they come in the mail. I haven't seen anyone really talk about using the all pros and their experience with remounting the hangers and mounts, any help would be great. 

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16835
  • Male Posts: 1,017
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i have their 5" that i put on in the early 2000s. ill measure how far forward the new spring hanger is, fortunately i still have the stock rear hanger attached. the rears i ran a buggy leaf that i eliminated by clamping it to the frame near the shackle so no mount on shackle hanger.

RUGER :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3712
  • Male Posts: 2,849
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I'm running AP's 4" F&R. I'd suggest waiting for the springs as every rig has differences due to weight.
Time to go wheelin!

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i have their 5" that i put on in the early 2000s. ill measure how far forward the new spring hanger is, fortunately i still have the stock rear hanger attached. the rears i ran a buggy leaf that i eliminated by clamping it to the frame near the shackle so no mount on shackle hanger.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Im confused on what you mean by a buggy leaf, are you running allpro front/rear?

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'm running AP's 4" F&R. I'd suggest waiting for the springs as every rig has differences due to weight.

Yeah for sure. I am going to be running my rig pretty empty at all times maybe a passenger and lightweight camping kit and or mountain bike, not going overland or anything thats for sure. I could try simulating the weight with weights in the bed/cab and going from there.

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
you got it.

buggy leaf, 3/4 elliptical. it gets great flex but you have no weight on yer drooped tire.

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
the front is moved 6" on my setup, where the frame rail flattens . :beerchug:

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
the front is moved 6" on my setup, where the frame rail flattens . :beerchug:

Nice, I assume thats 6in back on the shackle hanger... I guess I have all of this confusion because the truck already has a 6in lift, but i think its pro comp and made to fit OEM so I cant quite tell if stuff is already moved or not(yes it rides like a board lolol). How long is eye to eye in the front on your AllPros?

RUGER

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
REAR: its 6" forward(toward the cab) from the front mount measured eyelet to eyelet, on mine the new perch is where the frame flattens out.  shackle hanger: is on the frame held on by a u-bolt and some of the inverted spring is welded to the frame.

could you take a few leafs out of yer existing pack to accomplish 2 things: less lift and a softer ride.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

NRA life member

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sounds good. I was looking at my leafs to try and do that but they are just junk. Its a weird pack, a couple leafs look like they were tacked by the same idiot who welded my spring hanger bolt in place lol.

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
Hard to compare older All-Pro springs to whatever they are selling now since Trail Gear bought them out a few years ago. I would expect the Trail Gear springs and All-Pro springs to come from the same manufacturer these days. Personally, I would choose a different company to support.

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hard to compare older All-Pro springs to whatever they are selling now since Trail Gear bought them out a few years ago. I would expect the Trail Gear springs and All-Pro springs to come from the same manufacturer these days. Personally, I would choose a different company to support.

I was kind of pissed after i read "trail gear" at the top of their website after ordering. I just knew them from before but never caught the fact that trail gear bought them, a little disappointing for sure.  :hammerhead:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,053
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
I was kind of pissed after i read "trail gear" at the top of their website after ordering. I just knew them from before but never caught the fact that trail gear bought them, a little disappointing for sure.  :hammerhead:

The guy that started springs at All Pro also brought them to Marlin and then Trail Gear. They are all essentially the same design with the primary difference being the materials and manufacturer.  The original design was a copy of a set of Alcan springs.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Most locals who are cheap use TG/AllPro springs.  But if you got more coin, Sky Offroad has a local Oregon company in Eugene making their springs, and most love them.  But if your super cheap, most are doing frankenstein packs.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,142
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
It would be nice if we could get some inside info on what if any changes have been made to the Allpro springs, now that china gear owns them. I think I remember tg saying no changes would be made to the AllPro products, then again it seems like they said that about Longfield's too.

I've been wanting to get my hands on a set of sky springs, specifically the 3f springs.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26840
  • Male Posts: 3,508
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile

I've been wanting to get my hands on a set of sky springs, specifically the 3f springs.

Me too....
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It would be nice if we could get some inside info on what if any changes have been made to the Allpro springs, now that china gear owns them. I think I remember tg saying no changes would be made to the AllPro products, then again it seems like they said that about Longfield's too.

I couldn't tell you, but the cheapest looking thing in my entire shipment seems to be the leaf springs. They're definitely alright for me and flex better than I expected without even being broken in.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer

As far as I know and have been told is that All Pro is still having there springs made from the same company. TG juts bought them out for there designs and a piece of the coin. AP springs are great and still are.
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

Willard

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1608
  • Male Posts: 627
  • Member since Dec '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Nice, I assume thats 6in back on the shackle hanger... I guess I have all of this confusion because the truck already has a 6in lift, but i think its pro comp and made to fit OEM so I cant quite tell if stuff is already moved or not(yes it rides like a board lolol). How long is eye to eye in the front on your AllPros?
I remember on my old '82 I had the AP front/rear 6" springs. I had to relocate the rear spring hanger 6" forward and the shackle hanger like 1" back. It all depends on ride height and how much gear you plan on carrying. I would recommend tacking everything and checking with weight, that's what I did.  I actually installed 4" AP springs on my 2nd gen runner in the rear and still currently run them. They have mad flex and have held up well for like 8 years now  :twocents:
90'4runner......lots of goodies.

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
As far as I know and have been told is that All Pro is still having there springs made from the same company. TG juts bought them out for there designs and a piece of the coin. AP springs are great and still are.

That's pretty much what I recall seeing posted. Hopefully it's true and stays that way.  I haven't run either but the the tg springs always apear to sit taller than AllPro.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
I couldn't tell you, but the cheapest looking thing in my entire shipment seems to be the leaf springs. They're definitely alright for me and flex better than I expected without even being broken in.

You got them installed, Can we get some pics of the truck?

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
You got them installed, Can we get some pics of the truck?

I can get some pictures of the rig for sure. I got the front leafs mounted without the axle and pressed a jack under it, leafs flexed at least 8 inches without moving the truck right out of the package, rig sadly isn't fully thrown together yet. Could have gone more but I didn't want to take any chances on my jack stand set up lol. Ill get a picture of how it sat before and how it sits now. I have the front tires measured out to where they should be and it honestly looks like fairly good.

CliffordYota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Yeah I have heard mixed I honestly have no clue. I hope that is the case, they seem pretty good so far but haven't even rolled over a pebble so.