Author Topic: Just scored Unobtanium - Marlin Crawler Rebuilt R151F and T-Case  (Read 1338 times)

bigwill837

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Last week I went to look at a 1985 Pickup for sale local to me. Seller mentioned he had a Marlin Crawler rebuilt replacement transmission "for a Supra". After a little poking around, I realized it was a Marlin Crawler R151F transmission and forward-shift transfer case. I was able to negotiate a fair deal, and the trans and t-case is now in my garage! Score!

I think the trans has the 3.83:1 1st gear and the forward shift t-case has stock 2.28:1 gears.

I'd like to run a dual transfer case in my project truck. My question is, what's the most efficient/economical way to build a dual case with what I have? I've read that it's best to run the 2.28:1 gears in the Crawl Box and run the 4.7:1 gears in the t-case. Plus my forward shift case needs to be in the Crawl Box, not the Transfer Case.

Should I just buy another RF1A top-shift core, 4.7:1 gears, MC08 adapter, and two rebuild kits? Then take apart my current T-case and convert it to a forward shift Crawl Box? And convert the core to a 4.7:1 top-shift t-case?

Or can I run 4.7:1 gears in the Crawl Box and 2.28:1 gears in the t-case since the R151F output is 23 spline? Then I would just need to convert the t-case to top shift instead of forward shift (and source a forward shift Crawl Box core)?

Or is it easier to just sell the rebuilt Marlin t-case and start from scratch?

- Sales Employee -

KDNICKELS

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 502
  • Member since Apr '19
  • 1998 Toyota 4Runner
    • View Profile
Personally, I would go with option A: Use the one you have now for your crawl box since it already has the factory 2.28 gears and its forward shift. I would then source a top shift case for your rear case, install 4.7 gears into it, and purchase an MC08 dual case adapter plate to mate them together. I would not run 4.7 gears in the crawl box. I hope this helps!

bigwill837 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Personally, I would go with option A: Use the one you have now for your crawl box since it already has the factory 2.28 gears and its forward shift. I would then source a top shift case for your rear case, install 4.7 gears into it, and purchase an MC08 dual case adapter plate to mate them together. I would not run 4.7 gears in the crawl box. I hope this helps!

Thanks so much! I just spoke to James at Marlin Crawler on the phone, and he recommended the same thing!

Now just need to get those 23-spline MC08s back in stock!

Thanks again.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I love my R151F!!  But remember, the first 2 gears are lower.  Not just the first gear.  The second isn't as much of a difference, but it still is.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bigwill837 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I love my R151F!!  But remember, the first 2 gears are lower.  Not just the first gear.  The second isn't as much of a difference, but it still is.

Thanks, I didn't realize that about the 2nd gear. I'm 99% sure the Seller bought it from Marlin with the optional 3.83 1st gear.

...Now I just need to find a 1979 to 1985 Pickup to put it into  :ha_ha:

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Thanks, I didn't realize that about the 2nd gear. I'm 99% sure the Seller bought it from Marlin with the optional 3.83 1st gear.

...Now I just need to find a 1979 to 1985 Pickup to put it into  :ha_ha:

I love to launch off the line at a light, but it climbs the rpm range fast before having to grab second.   :gap:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen