Author Topic: Inner Axle Spline Damage  (Read 649 times)

GrindingRock

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Inner Axle Spline Damage
« on: Sep 23, 2020, 05:17:48 PM »
I am rebuilding a straight axle on a Tacoma that has had a straight axle conversion by the prior owner. The housing was manufactured by Diamond and the axles are Longfield type probably about 8-10 years old. Unfortunately, when I bought the truck was unable to talk to the prior owner so I am having to figure out what parts were used.

Everything is torn apart and in generally good order but when I removed the axle from the Birfield joint on the passenger side I noted that the inner end of the axle is beaten up pretty bad. I used the pipe removal method where you drop the axle into a pipe to shear the c-clip. For some reason the passenger side was a real devil and it took 10 solid thumps to free the inner shaft. I used plywood to cushion the cage and under the axle shaft on the floor. I have no idea what damaged the inner end of the axle.

Can't seem to upload a photo.

The damage is at the inboard end of the shaft and there are a series of flats where it appears the shaft has contacted the Birfield housing.

My assumption is that if the cage accepts the axle without binding on the damaged area of the splines I can probably live with reusing parts as long as I don't find more damage to the balls, cages, etc due to metal filings in the works.

Tomorrow I hope to disassemble the Birfield and see if I can find corresponding damage to the housing.

Any advice is welcome.

« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2020, 11:40:15 AM by GrindingRock »

GrindingRock [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Inner Axle Spline Damage
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:42:45 PM »
Oh goodness, as usual, I think I have completely stood this problem on it's head.

When I tried to free the passenger axle from the Birfield (Longfield) I assumed I was doing something wrong. Now that I have had a chance to look carefully at all the forensics (I'm really not that bright) it seems pretty clear.

The original builder I believe specified an axle on the passenger side of the vehicle that was too long. This pushed the race and the cage too far into the Birfield housing and it looks like the end of the axle was contacting the housing because there are 6 flats that have been formed by the end of the shaft and the splines being smeared over. This made it very difficult to shear the c-clip and free the axle. After I got the axle out there was no way that the race would engage the splines on the end of the axle.

There are scuffed up areas in the well of the Birfield where it appears the axle was in contact with the housing and the bottom of the slots that the balls ride in are damaged. A bunch of metal flakes were flushed out of the housing when I finally cleaned it and hit it with Brakecleen.

Now I need to figure out how much shorter to have the axle made and also of course need to buy some replacement Birfield joints. Thanks God I can sell some expensive stuff from other hobbies to fund my current situation. Will consult tomorrow with a locale 4WD guru and hopefully reach resolution on ordering a replacement axle shaft and new Birfields.

At any rate I have owned this vehicle for 1-1/2 years and spent one whole month wheeling it in the Death Valley area with no noise and generally excellent performance for a truck with 4:10 open differentials.

Plan is to get the front end rebuilt and up to snuff with an ARB locker and then deal with leaf springs all around, install a dual case and then get a locker put in the rear.

The truck has 34" tires and likely will remain with those although I need to figure out a bead lock or other solution to allow low tire pressure.

More to follow...more is rarely enough.